Thread: Euro-Trip Help?

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Euro-Trip Help?

Alright everyone, I think someone in this crowd might be able to help me.

Next summer (June 15 - July 22) I'm taking a 5 week trip to Europe without my parents. While I'm there I'm going to need money, but I can't be walking around everywhere with cash.

I was curious if anyone knew any type of system (where to find it and who to contact) where I would be able to have some sort of Credit card/ATM card with money already on it. In this case I would be able to go to a bank or ATM to get some cash (in Euros, which would mean it's transferred from dollars to Euros). I'd also require my parents to be able to transfer money to the card online.

Maybe not exactly this type of thing, but does anyone know of anything similar?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Euro-Trip Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    Alright everyone, I think someone in this crowd might be able to help me.

Next summer (June 15 - July 22) I'm taking a 5 week trip to Europe without my parents. While I'm there I'm going to need money, but I can't be walking around everywhere with cash.

I was curious if anyone knew any type of system (where to find it and who to contact) where I would be able to have some sort of Credit card/ATM card with money already on it. In this case I would be able to go to a bank or ATM to get some cash (in Euros, which would mean it's transferred from dollars to Euros). I'd also require my parents to be able to transfer money to the card online.

Maybe not exactly this type of thing, but does anyone know of anything similar?

Thanks in advance
    You can use your bank card at any ATM, as long as a VISA logo on it. That's what I did when I went to Europe. Not only can you parents put all the money they want into your bank account, you get the official exchange rate at ATMS (minus a small fee, which is MUCH smaller than the rip off money exchangers charge), and you do not have to carry large sums of cash.

I hope this helps.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    You can use your bank card at any ATM, as long as a VISA logo on it. That's what I did when I went to Europe. Not only can you parents put all the money they want into your bank account, you get the official exchange rate at ATMS (minus a small fee, which is MUCH smaller than the rip off money exchangers charge), and you do not have to carry large sums of cash.

I hope this helps.
    While I was in Germany for a year I did this and I was charged a one euro fee per transaction or something like that, at the time that was buck thirty three and that's really nothing for the service.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

VISA and MasterCard are very common in Europe.

Don't forget to visit Belgium
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    VISA and MasterCard are very common in Europe.

Don't forget to visit Belgium
    Look at my signature! I'm staying in Belgium for two weeks.

Looks like I got my answer rather quickly. Thanks a lot guys.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I used my Norwegian debit card (with visa) when living in Australia.
    Be careful when using ATMs though, they will subtract a percent (or more?) of the value you take out in fees in addition to the 1.75% on top of the current currency value.

I would advice to bring both cash and credit cards. The old thumb rule is 20% of the travel funds in cash.
    Status Emeritus

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Euro-Trip Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    Look at my signature! I'm staying in Belgium for two weeks.
    Be careful to avoid the wild and dangerous Belgian north! Anything north of Brussels is wilderness, you might want to avoid it if this is your first time abroad or if you are travelling alone.

Edit: besides which, ask a Belgian if he accepts your 'VISA' and he'll look at you funny and tell you to go show it to the border patrol.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 12-15-2008 at 18:17.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The singular is visum in Dutch, actually.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Credit cards will work just fine. You might also be interested in a traveller's cheque, depending what you're more comfortable with.

Something with a VISA logo will do the trick just fine.

I think I'll take a Visa bank card from my bank. That way I can always just go to it with money already on it. Then I can call my parents to upload more money online. And I'll always carry a certain amount of spare cash if something bad happens.

Thankfully I'll be with friends in each place I visit on this trip (Frankfurt, Belgium, Strasbourg, and Switzerland) who know their respective languages so in most cases I'll be fine.

Anyone here near these cities and wants to grab a beer let me know:

Frankfurt, Germany
    Aalst, Belgium
    Ertvelde, Belgium
    (anywhere in Belgium really)
    (anywhere in southern Netherlands)
    Strasbourg, France (staying in Offenberg, Germany)
    Switzerland (staying in Wauwil, a small town an hour train ride away from Luzern)

Thanks again for the help.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I would strongly recommend a visit to Oberbayern, Nürnberg, and the Fränkische Schweiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    I would strongly recommend a visit to Oberbayern, Nürnberg, and the Fränkische Schweiz.
    I'll be visiting Europe so often, I'll have a chance. As of now, the trip is based on friends I want to see/stay with and the places I mentioned.

I mean, I would LOVE to visit those sites (hell look at my title :P) but I know I'll be visiting many times again, so I'm not thinking of really altering my main trip. Perhaps if I can do a day trip I'll try.