Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Default Re: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Well, I currently have job but finding a new one this summer has been impossible
    Also, over here, despite lower production costs the dairy and grocery sectors have used the crisis to continue raising their prices.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Bopa when did the dairy production costs fall ?
    The only reduction over here has been if buying new stock as feed prices going through the roof coupled with a really bad year for saving hay and sileage means that some are dumping the stock they cannot afford to feed this winter .

Here in NZ we have been told that the cost of Dairy products were getting increasingly more costly ever faster. However ion the past two months it has not been the case, thus the frustration of the Reserve bank.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    I havn't bought a new car this year
    So you usually buy a new one every year???

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

No effects (yet?). Work has been extremely busy the last few months, but it's getting calmer now. Might start feeling it next year, but my job is pretty secure.

I'll probably start looking out for some new furniture and/or a new hi-fi installation at the beginning of next year
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Cheaper beer, less liqour
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculu5 View Post
    my contract as a 3D artist/business systems support may not be renewed after january.
    safe until end of feb now.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

So you usually buy a new one every year???
    Sort of , I usually keep a new car for 2 years and a week but as the wife does the same in alternate years it is one new car every year .

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Im a student, so no job loss worries there, I should be graduating right about the time this recession is starting to blow over, so no problems there. My mum works for the goverment (Occupational Therapist incase your wondering) so her job is secure, the only direct effects i have noticed are my friends factory has slowed production right down and there wasn't going to be any work in december for him, but thankfully he is working on one of the machines they are running right up to christmas, he isn't sure how much longer they will stay open after christmas though. He produces plastic car interior's incase your wondering...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
    Whoa your father is 5-years old. He must be one of those who hits puberty early. Tell him not to feel bad, I was unemployed when I was 5 years old too.
    >_> You know what I meant. -_-'
    BLARGH!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    Im a student, so no job loss worries there, I should be graduating right about the time this recession is starting to blow over, so no problems there. My mum works for the goverment (Occupational Therapist incase your wondering) so her job is secure, the only direct effects i have noticed are my friends factory has slowed production right down and there wasn't going to be any work in december for him, but thankfully he is working on one of the machines they are running right up to christmas, he isn't sure how much longer they will stay open after christmas though. He produces plastic car interior's incase your wondering...
    In that case I really hate to say it, but I don't like his odds.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I was laid off around 6 months ago and I've been just hanging out. I'm pretty screwed and have no idea what to do, but I haven't lost my apartment yet and my personal savings have stayed the same since the job loss, but unemployment is about to end in 2 weeks. Health care is expensive - I spend $650 a month on cobra + medications so that is a bummer.

I've been doing an unpaid intern thing twice a week at an insurance agency to pass the time in the hopes that I'll be taken on when things turn around, but that guy is losing his shirt too and probably won't be in business much longer.

Stocks tanked as well - I'm glad I got my undergraduate out of the way and bought a car before my savings was lost. Girlfriend works a bs part time job and just got her degree - so we are essentially in a torpor.

A 25 year old with a degree, no job and serious health issues to worry about is a rather crappy place to be at the moment, but I haven't hit rock bottom yet - I've still got a few more safety nets to tear through (dad still has his job and mom is still working bs part time nonsense)

I've had jobs since I was 15 without a break this long. A bunch of my friends have been laid off including my GF's dad.

Long Island has been hit pretty hard by the crisis due to the high percentage of people in finance working (no longer) in the city.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-17-2008 at 22:24.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    A 25 year old with a degree, no job and serious health issues to worry about is a rather crappy place to be at the moment, but I haven't hit rock bottom yet - I've still got a few more safety nets to tear through (dad still has his job and mom is still working bs part time nonsense)
    Heh. I'm seriously happy I put my education on hold for a few years(army service for two years, then just working). My friends from my high school class who went straight to college and finished their bachelor degrees this summer are not doing swell these days; they got "hired"(as in promised a job when they graduated) and based their life on that, moved out of home and bought apartments, etc etc. Then a couple of months into the job, and everything went crashing down and they lost their jobs(new guys are first on the list) and are now stuck in debt, and they're working in grocery stores etc, earning well below what they need to pay their mortgage etc. 1 of them has already moved back to mommy, I suspect there will be more soon. I've done a lot of weird choices in my life when it comes to education, but I think I nailed the timing on this one perfectly; there isn't another place I would be right now than in school.

I hope everything works out for you, TuffStuff.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Heh. I'm seriously happy I put my education on hold for a few years(army service for two years, then just working). My friends from my high school class who went straight to college and finished their bachelor degrees this summer are not doing swell these days; they got "hired"(as in promised a job when they graduated) and based their life on that, moved out of home and bought apartments, etc etc. Then a couple of months into the job, and everything went crashing down and they lost their jobs(new guys are first on the list) and are now stuck in debt, and they're working in grocery stores etc, earning well below what they need to pay their mortgage etc. 1 of them has already moved back to mommy, I suspect there will be more soon. I've done a lot of weird choices in my life when it comes to education, but I think I nailed the timing on this one perfectly; there isn't another place I would be right now than in school.

I hope everything works out for you, TuffStuff.
    Yep - I went local and got my degree - no debt whatsoever and my rent is the absurdly low amount of $450 per month.

It could be endlessly worse - the apratment is essentially a luxury that I could do without if I had to. My parents live 30 minutes east and I intern 5 mins away from them, so If i need to leave the apartment I can at any time and my gas use would go down dramatically. Even my girlfriend lives closer to my old house. I keep the apartment so that we can have privacy... Wink* Wink*

I hope ot gets better soon because I loved burning money on fancy pants dinners and new stuff and I miss it tremendously. I thought I wasn't making enough at $40 a year - this is a wakeup call.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-17-2008 at 23:03.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Sv: Re: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Work in a store at Copenhagen airport and we have been affected badly by this.
    We have alot fewer customers and those that do travel don't shop as much.
    This has resulted in alot of cutbacks, people getting fired, job conditions alot worse, we are always under-staffed because they can't afford to have more staff on so everyone is working their butts off trying to keep the store operational.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: Re: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Good luck TuffStuff, I hope the really doesn't hit the fan.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Yep - I went local and got my degree - no debt whatsoever and my rent is the absurdly low amount of $450 per month.
    Renting, eh? Very wise. I know a number of people who bought apartments in the spring/summer - they're pulling their hair out now(and as said, one moved back to mommy).

Oh, and the bonus story; a classmate of my ex bought an apartment a couple of years ago, instead of renting as the rest of us do. She got a loan that would cost her about as much as renting each month, and she figured the price would rise(as everyone did), and when she finished her education, she could sell it, pay off the mortgage and get a bundle of cash for a new home(or whatever). Well, one financial crisis later, with rising interest and plummeting housing prices, she's taking it in teh butts.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Perversely, my final situation has improved considerably in the past few months. I invested my inheritance in a couple of deposit bonds during the summer at 6%, whilst the bank is offering the same bonds now for just 2.5%, though of course the bonds run out in a year (I was pretty sure that the government would drive the interest rates down, silly me should have put them in longer, but lower-yielding bonds). Otherwise, I have suspended my activities as a flâneur and general drain on my family's ressources by finding employment (What, I hear you cry, KHV as an economically productive member of society? Is the sun now setting in the East?). I received employment of course not by doing what everyone else does, i.e. looking in the jobs section, sending in CVs and going for an intervew, but by being stirred from my indolence a few weeks ago by a good friend of mine, who told me that the bank his father works in was urgently in need of some sort of office dogsbody and was prepared to pay quite handsomely for my time. And so I have now entered the world of work, doing a mind numbingly tedious job, which any one with half a brain cell could do, but getting paid jolly well, considering the circumstances.
    All this, as well as the weak pound, ment I could embark on quite a shopping spree during my sojourn in the metropolis, running around Jermyn Street (Saville Row eludes me for the moment)in search of a real dress shirt and popping in and out of vintage clothing shops dotted around the capital. Once the job has finished I plan to find a less-well renowned tailor to fit me out in whatever three-piece or double-breasted ensemble should catch my fancy.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

In that case I really hate to say it, but I don't like his odds.

In a way its not so bad, he's usually jokingly asking for redundancy, he wants to get back into education but has debts to clear first, redundancy could work out quite well for him. He'd probably be one of the last to be fired from there as well as he can run almost all the machines and has been there 4-5 years, if his redundancy is enough to clear his debts he's onto a winner...

Sorry to hear about the troubles, sounds tuff you seem like your in a good place to weather the storm though, renting and parents live close by anyway, what degree have you got ?
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 12-18-2008 at 13:09.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Renting, eh? Very wise. I know a number of people who bought apartments in the spring/summer - they're pulling their hair out now(and as said, one moved back to mommy).
    Best decision I ever made

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

The key policy rate was reduced by 1,75% yesterday and my bank just informed me that my nominal interest rate will be 4,60% from the 25th of December.

A Christmas gift ...
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post

Sorry to hear about the troubles, sounds tuff you seem like your in a good place to weather the storm though, renting and parents live close by anyway, what degree have you got ?
    Cum Laude, History from University of Stonybrook on LI.

Thanks for the concern - i am doing ok so far.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Our business is tied to the Super Market sector (we provide them the shelving systems, checkouts, trolleys yada yada)

My moto is 'No matter what happens, people have to eat'

So we are not really affected by the situation. Its business as usual since our clients' sales are staying strong. Aldi entering the greek market made it even better.

I think that at the moment, if you gotta get a new job and feel safe, you better work with the food industry or become a mortician. People will eat and people will die and thats a guarantee.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

My job is secure, and the current contract runs through 2011. New hires, and guys without 6 years in may get the axe though, meaning more work for the remnant, with less manpower.

The retirement fund, averaging 6-7% earnings per year since 1998, will only yield about 2.5% this year - extending by a couple years my projected retirement.

The house mortgage is steady, and I can still cover it; I may try to re-fi in January to cut back the monthly payment level. This to accomodate the 20% increase in health insurance premiums in '09.

Food prices are currently holding steady (due to lower fuel costs?), so we're eating regularly, if not luxuriously. We go out to dinner 3-4 per year now, compared to 3-4 times per month 4 years ago.

Spent about half the usual amount on Christmas this year.

So, on the whole: save more, spend less, cut back on luxuries, stay healthy, hunker down for a year or so, is our strategy.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Personally I can't find a job, but I don't really mind. Gives me plenty of time to write. Prices haven't fallen too much here, so I'm getting pretty damn good at budgeting. Also as a consequence I've pretty much given up booze which is hardly a bad thing.

My parents seem fine currently. Mum's a tax accountant/accountant, and people have to pay taxes so her job's secure during this tax season, and the next few since she's good at what she does. Dad's a semi-retired (whatever that means) accountant/consultant. His stocks took a hit, but his portfolio is pretty diversified. I'm glad neither have any real debt.

My thoughts are with those of you who are in precarious situations. Best of luck.
    Last edited by naut; 12-22-2008 at 16:34.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12