Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Question How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

I know many who have seen their savings diminished greatly, though they were heavily invested in financials and internationals.

Although minor, I am trying to sell a car and I can't even get a bite, even though I priced it $2,000 under Blue Book. Not a single call in two months.

But I still have a good job and access to credit, so no issues for me otherwise, thank God.

But aside from your savings, have you been unable to gain credit? Lost your job? Lose customers?Anything unique or extraordinary? Anything minor?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Lost a job. I was supposed to be working in the car industry now, but because of the credit crisis the guy who wanted to hire me first lost his will to take up loans to expand his business, and then he lost his customers as well, so no job for me...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Well everything's been kind of abstracted, I havn't seen any imediate effects but I did lose a fair bit out my college savings.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

not affected at all

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shares screwed. But a paper loss as I've no need to sell.

Pseudo government job, so no problems there

Food slightly cheaper, as are other purchases.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

My Dad's been shifted around the company to a new job (His previous one was made redundant about a week ago). He has I think 4 weeks left for his new boss to get his job confirmed and he seems very optimistic about his chances.

I work in a Kmart (Discount Department store for those who do not know) and I can safely say that I have been surprised at how few people there have been shopping lately. The exception was this weekend, because our government gave massive handouts to young families and pensioners last week and as such people decided to spend it. So I guess this crisis has made me work harder...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

my part time job told me they arent playing me anymore as well as reduced my hours, but thats not so bad, because now i have more time for BF2142 and guitar.

otherwise no.
    my dad, on the other hand, even though he doesnt make much money as a tenured professor, he can never be fired and always has his job.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-15-2008 at 14:48.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

my contract as a 3D artist/business systems support may not be renewed after january.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Dad's shares are in the pit but my mom has been moved to a higher pay grade.

So nothing really.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Very bad wood sales = more work, paid less
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I am working in IT maintenance and are as such not affected. I feel more sorry for those in development and external consultants.

The problem we have back here is the great cost of capital. Too high interests are still crippling the loan marked.
    Everything is expensive and even with my salary I am not able to save anything. Luckily I have some buffer money tucked away in banks with high deposit interests.

Hopefully the money marked will be better and the interest a bit lower.
    Right now I am still paying nearly 6 percent interest on my loans which is double of what I did when taking them.
    With only one salary you can say we run a tight budget.
    One more year and wifey will be able to contribute in a secure job as a pharmaceutical chemist (too few of them to go around here).
    Status Emeritus

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I'm poor college student, with a 5-year old unemployed father and a mother who gets one third of the salary of an already bad salary cut due to debts to the fiscal system. Thankfully, all good (Not worser) so far.
    BLARGH!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

It has actually benefitted me. My investments have taken a nosedive, but I'm not retiring for another 30 years, so that's not an issue at all. At the same time, interest rates came down, allowing me to get a great mortgage for my first home, and prices of all kinds are at absolute rock-bottom levels. I've bought a ton of furniture and other household goods lately to stock the new home and have always got shockingly good deals on everything. As I see it, if your job is secure and you're not retiring soon, this is a great time to buy some big ticket items that you've held off on.

I'm a postgraduate student and my girlfriend is a nurse, so for us the economic crisis has so far mostly meant very cheap Christmas shopping and the opportunity to laugh at all the lazy so-and-sos we knew at university who all got plush jobs in investment banking and are now being fired.

I am, however, a little concerned about what my employment prospects will look like when I graduate in two years time.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on what happens to my student loans.

As for parents, they didn't really have a lot in the way of savings anyways. Plus, my dad is such a workaholic I don't think he'll retire from work until he physically can't do ANYTHING.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Not affected in the slightest.

Neither are my parents- my dad works as a psychologist and my mom's a teacher.

I think an uncle of mine lost some money on stocks, but that's about it.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I've benefited. Lower gas prices help. The fact that I'm just started saving for retirement via my job means cheap stock prices. When I retire the Dow Jones will be at 20,000 and I'll be happy. I have a good credit rating so loans aren't a problem. Decreasing housing prices means I'll be able to afford a home soon. Etc, etc...

So yea, more "crisis" the better.

Edit: I do enjoy these perceived and contrived crises. Hopefully (but doubtfully) we'll develop a competitive auto industry out of it.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 12-15-2008 at 17:25.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am very fortunate, not affected in the slightest. I have a decent job with one of the few media companies that is weathering this recession quite well, my monthly expenditures are under control, most of my money is liquid and I have zero debt hanging over my head (my credit rating is fantastic).
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

My personal financial situation has not been affected. However, as a commercial loan officer for a major bank, I have seen my job become more... interesting? Shall I say?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

No, not at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I'm poor college student, with a 5-year old unemployed father and a mother who gets one third of the salary of an already bad salary cut due to debts to the fiscal system. Thankfully, all good (Not worser) so far.
    Whoa your father is 5-years old. He must be one of those who hits puberty early. Tell him not to feel bad, I was unemployed when I was 5 years old too.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Besides putting off my retirement plans, eligible this coming January, and the 25% loss in value of my investments at the moment... I'm doing fine compared to many. My job is basically "recession proof" as I work in a State Prison. My wife also works for the State Health Dept. and just received a management promotion. However, two of my sisters have lost their jobs and a third one has just moved to Florida to remain employed. There are no good paying jobs, unless one works for state or federal government, in my part of the country (western NY) any more. My children will probably have to pursue employment elsewhere, one already has, when the time comes. We'll probably move in the future ourselves to be nearer our family, and get out of this high tax State. They don't call it the Empire Vampire State for nothing.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

No, even though I'm a bit of a freelancer, I've had more work than ever due to the season.
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Attenborough DVD box from Amazon.fr: EUR 276,99, or 379,51 US $

The exact same Attenborough DVD box from Amazon.co.uk: £102.18, or 156.335 US $.

It's going to be a great Christmas!
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

My 401(k) has taken a hit, but I'm 30 years from retirement so I'm not that worried (I'm buying cheap now!). Aside from my house (which I fortunately bought before things got too crazy), I have no debt. My job is fairly secure, and the DC area has been doing pretty well compared to other regions of the US. I have a fair amount of savings, and things are pretty cheap right now, so I can actually afford some luxuries if I so desire.

My car is my biggest worry, it's 13 years old and I intend to drive it until it becomes undependable, but that is an expense I expect to pay soon. Fortunately, I have a feeling that car salesmen will be throwing themselves at my feet when the time comes...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Borders has the Life Collection for $199 Aus or $97 EUR, 133 USD

Got Life on Earth for my 7th birthday, will be getting this for Xmas.

Edit looks like the Australian version is a cutdown set (15 DVDs vs 24), but with Life in Cold Blood

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/produc...hop_Xmas_Lasoo

Oh, my economic situation... been looking for a new job lately. Not for money but for challenges and learning opportunities. Wife is getting more and more work. So with cheaper petrol, less mortgage to pay and generally more income it looks quite rosy here in Aus.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 12-15-2008 at 22:58.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

regardless of problems mentioned above, i do now have a stack of awesome games i'm waiting to play given the glut of excellent titles in the last few months, not to mention the many i await in the early new year.

free time might rock!
    Last edited by JR-; 12-15-2008 at 23:17.

Default Re: Re : How Have the Current Economic Conidtions Affected YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Attenborough DVD box from Amazon.fr: EUR 276,99, or 379,51 US $

The exact same Attenborough DVD box from Amazon.co.uk: £102.18, or 156.335 US $.

It's going to be a great Christmas!
    Oh yes, I got my Little Big Planet from the UK for 30EUR including shipping!
    Not sure I've lost or gained anything, so far everything seems as usual.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Big losses in ye olde 401(k), but then I'm not about to cash out, so all of that should correct itself over time. Much more troubling is the situation with my dear mum, who wants to retire right about now but is freaked out because her retirement savings have been decimated.

This is a great time to be putting money into the market, and a horrible time to be taking money out. Just statin' the obvious.

I havn't bought a new car this year , one dealer is doing a 3 for the price of 2 offer but I don't want 3 new cars , so its a case of wait for the new year and see what sort of deals they offer then .
    Workwise some people are really cutting their own throats with prices , but sod it if the muppets want to work for peanuts let them have it , the more of them idiots that are already up to their necks in debt the better as I can just clean up when they inevitably go to the wall .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast