Thread: Speculation on the New Multiplayer Mode

Default Speculation on the New Multiplayer Mode

So, I am thinking that the 1v1 campaign will have to be extermely streamlined in order to allevaiate the potential for long delays waiting for the other player to complete his turn.

Or will the turns be completed almost simultaneously? That could make it very interesting in negotiating army movement to objective, anticipating the enemy's move so you can intercept...

What do you think? How will this be managed?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: Speculation on the New Multiplayer Mode

I imagine they will bring in a timer of some sort, where you have two armies and they just go at it untill a winner is declared. I cant really see multiplayer being brought into a full map as it may take too long.

But I'm sure someone knows better than I.

Thumbs up Re: Speculation on the New Multiplayer Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nelson
    I imagine they will bring in a timer of some sort, where you have two armies and they just go at it untill a winner is declared. I cant really see multiplayer being brought into a full map as it may take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nelson
    But I'm sure someone knows better than I.
    Indeed. Multiplayer battles should be no different in setup than other total war battles. The campaign, though, is something else entirely. It'll probably be something that stretches on for a long time, with players being given short,timed turns while they are both logged on. Or perhaps they will be given 24 hours in which to complete their turn, and not have to wait for the other to be logged on at the same time. Battles will probably be auto-calc, although I'm not completely sure.

We'll find out soon enough...
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 12-15-2008 at 21:14. Reason: Cleared up my hypothesis.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

has anyone ever played Hotseat on kingdoms here? I wonder what they think of it.

I want to hear what people think of it.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

What I would like to see is some kind of grand alliance between both human players and take over the world together or at least help each other out.

I always liked the idea of the hotseat campaign, as i rarely ever play the battles in M:TW, shame i didn't like the campaign games after M:TW tho.

Hmm, I'm sure things like this have been beat into the ground since at least R:TW (possibly earlier on, I wouldn't know as that was before my time.) However, what they could try is to have multi staged turns. First stage would be logistics (city management, and troop movement, etc.) With the second stage being the in-game battles. This way the players would be able to do their battles simultaneously. However there would be a few problems created by this. Firstly, you would move your troops in the first stage, and then battle later on, which (and here I'm thinking from a Rome standpoint) wouldn't be troubling as you wouldn't be able to move troops after a battle. And secondly, by late stage, you'd be fighting in so many theatres, you'd have to fight several battles one after the other, (Which, I don't know about other people, but usually one or two major, full stack on full stack battles is enough to wear me out for one round.)

Anyways, that's my two cents. Like all MP Campaign ideas, it has some (potentially, hopefully) good ideas, and some problems/setbacks.

But since they've already announced the beta, I'm assuming they already have the general idea in mind, and are setting it up to test it on the masses, which would make these ideas kinda useless. But whatever, I'm just throwing some ideas around while waiting for this (hopefully) fantastic, outstanding game to come out.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I imagine that the multiplayer will work very similarly to hotseat in Kingdoms. However I expect that players will be able to fight battles against each other and the A.I. I also hope some sort of turn timer can be implemented. Otherwise the game could get extremely tedious.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    has anyone ever played Hotseat on kingdoms here? I wonder what they think of it.
    i played against my dad on the same comp, only he couldnt control his army when i owned his computer controlled force, i would love hotseat games, but there so time consuming, these look more promising though

i imagine you'd have a battle lobby and a multiplayer campaign lobby where you play against someone else who is online too, then after the first time it might be a bit of a struggle meeting times, still over the moon about such a cool feature being implemented

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

I dont think meeting times would be much to worry about. I imagine that most people will only want to play a 1v1 campaign with their close friends as you can`t garuantee that a random player will ever show up again after the first session. I`ve said it before in another thread so I apologise if I appear to be repeating myself, but the best solution to making sure one player isn`t simply waiting around is to have him/her control the AI armies in battle. Any MP campaign where all battles would be automatically calculated seems totally pointless to me.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    I dont think meeting times would be much to worry about. I imagine that most people will only want to play a 1v1 campaign with their close friends as you can`t garuantee that a random player will ever show up again after the first session. I`ve said it before in another thread so I apologise if I appear to be repeating myself, but the best solution to making sure one player isn`t simply waiting around is to have him/her control the AI armies in battle. Any MP campaign where all battles would be automatically calculated seems totally pointless to me.
    That sounds like a great idea having your friend control A.I. armies in battle! That would be kinda fun lol. Although someone could be annoying and retreat all the time.