Thread: New Laptop Redux

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New Laptop Redux

Hey all,

Following up after the earlier laptop searching thread back in september, I'm finally back in Europe, and need a gaming laptop to take back down to the underdeveloped regions. Need urgent advice as I have no idea what the developments have been in the world of gaming laptops in the last few months.

And Happy Christmas all!

Thanks!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: New Laptop Redux

Okay, this is where I come in.

First of all what is your budget?

Do you have a great preference for any size ie 15inchers or 17 inchers?

Also, since you're in Europe, how long can you wait for shipment since most gaming notebook have to be ordered online.

There are a few that come to mind: The Asus G50VT-X2, the Alienware M15 or M17, the Sager N8860, and the Gateway P7811. The videocards that they can have up to are respectively

Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS (an underclocked GT)
    Nvidia Geforce 9800M GT
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (can go up to Crossfire)
    Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS
    Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, to answer your first 2 questions, my budget is around 2000€, although I'd like not to spend the full 2k, and I'll be in Europe until Jan 14th, or back again at the end of february. I currently have a 17 inch machine, and I can live with 15 but definitely no bigger than 17 - I have to haul the thing around afterall.

As cool as Alienwares look, I'm no big fan, and neither I am of dells. Also, could you throw a link my way for any of the others?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

With that budget, you can buy any of these easily. Anyways, here are some links:

Asus G50VT-A2
    Sager Np8660
    Gateway P-7801u FX Edition

Anyways, the first 2 is from xoticpc, which may or may not ship in Europe, but it will at least let you see system specs. You can try to find a shipper to Europe afterwards if you like one of those

The gateway apparently can be bought from newegg, which iirc, should ship to Europe
    Last edited by TevashSzat; 12-26-2008 at 18:28.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton