Thread: Computer freezes when transitioning to build army screen

Default Computer freezes when transitioning to build army screen

Whenever I try to go into the army building screen (after you pick a faction) in multiplayer or single player my whole computer freezes and the audio loops. It requires a hard reboot to get out of it. I re-downloaded and reinstalled twice and it does the same thing. I also updated my drivers to the latest stable version (Nvidia 8800 GT). I also disabled movies and tried running it in windowed mode to no effect. I tried original Rome without the mod and it works fine. It also works fine with Rome Total Realism.

Here are the steps I used: Install Rome (w/o any expansions)-> install 1.3 patch-> install 1.5 patch-> install EB 1.1-> install EB 1.2.

Default Re: Computer freezes when transitioning to build army screen

Please run a validation. Also, you say it freezes when you go to the army building screen in single player, what do you mean by this? I can understand when it's multiplayer, but the single player is the campaign. You're talking about custom battles perhaps? Have you used the Trivial Script to start EB in custom battle mode?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Posting on behalf of Ford (he's being stubborn about getting it working :p)

The validation test didn't show up anything odd, and the crash shows up during the custom battle setup and in multiplayer.

What precisely is "nothing odd"? Please post the results. Have you used the Trivial Script to start EB in custom battle mode?

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

You don't have an original installation; There are changes to files, or some are missing.
    However, these may be conscious changes you have made, to remod EB. See below for details.
    ==========
    Changed file: .\eb\data\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt (expected checksum cb93a428e536cfa294ff85bf1d9ceca1, got 23942befd1eebbd7b829f750745c3081)
    Added file: .\eb configuration.lnk
    Added file: .\eb multi player.lnk
    Added file: .\eb preferences.lnk
    Added file: .\eb single player.lnk
    And yes, he was using the trivial script.

Thank you, and you're right, the changes there are insignificant.

You don't by any chance have Nero Burning Rom installed, or Free Download Manager? I know that these interfere with EB, but possibly other programs do too. If you're willing to post information about which other software you've installed, we could see if there is some match with other people who have had problems.

You should try to stop all non-essential processes (including Windows services) and then try to run EB. Perhaps there is something interfering there.

Another way to find out if it's a software conflict would be to install a second Windows (parallel to the usual one you've got) and run EB from that (no new RTW/EB installation would be needed). Then no other installed software would be interfering, but I won't ask you to go through that big boring process unless you're desperate to play EB custom battles.

I would ask you to check your hardware with Memtest and Scandisk, but it doesn't seem relevant as it always crashes in the same place... Faulty memory would cause random crashes instead, and a bad disk block should turn up in the validation. I know that StoneAndBlood had consistent crashes due to some weird hardware conflict however, and that was (weirdly) fixed by cutting away all our voicemods from his installation. This is not a trivial thing to do however.

================
    ================