Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Question

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Immigration Question

What do you think that immigrant reform should look like that will help assimilate the migrant workers? For an example use Mexican migrant workers in Texas.

Think education etc.

I have a viewpoint, but it's not set in stone so I wanted to see if anyone brings up some good points.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Immigration Question

I would not like to assimilate migrant workers.

I would like to assimilate new immigrants.

What I will get is assimilated migrants along with immigrants forcing me to change to their approach.

Bitter, party of one, your table is READY!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Up to the immigrant I don't believe in assimilation policy scrap it, nice if you integrate but as long as you can provide for yourself I couldn't care less what you eat for dinner. Works both ways though.

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

I think for the most part; illegal immigrants have worked very well for the US, it provides cheap workers without any sort of burden on the tax payer (in theory). However i think that might be changing and now they are seen as a tax burden (car accidents, medical expenses, no tax income ect), in other words people who are not paying tax are needing services.

It's hard to change as 1/2 of cali is latino and the other southern states pretty much rely of them to hold the low pay jobs. i think a more open and transparent visa program might help, you don't want to force people to assimilate, you want them to become paying and well defined parts of the tax system.
    The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

I'm not talking about illegal immigrants. They are ILLEGAL and are that for a reason. I'm talking about legal immigrants who do not have simple English skills, etc.

The free'er the borders the free'er the people.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

People should feel no pressure to become like everyone around them, so i couldn't care less if they are assimilated or not, just as long as they are willing to follow the laws of the land.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    The free'er the borders the free'er the people.
    Exactly.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I'm not talking about illegal immigrants. They are ILLEGAL and are that for a reason. I'm talking about legal immigrants who do not have simple English skills, etc.
    well i really don't see what your asking about then; if they are legal then they can do as they please. keeping their own culture and identity is part of being a people. give them a reason to want to be citizens and belong, don't force them to learn english.

i would find it much more interesting to hear peoples thoughts of the legal/illegal migrant issue then anything else. if illegals are so bad for the USA maybe someone should lock the gate
    The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Son Of Barahi View Post
    well i really don't see what your asking about then; if they are legal then they can do as they please. keeping their own culture and identity is part of being a people. give them a reason to want to be citizens and belong, don't force them to learn english.

i would find it much more interesting to hear peoples thoughts of the legal/illegal migrant issue then anything else. if illegals are so bad for the USA maybe someone should lock the gate
    I don't know how simple that is. They're doing a horrible job with the illegal immigration though. I can understand the viewpoint of the illegal workers who are trying to have a better life, but it is illegal and the people who should be really punished are those that hire them and create a demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I don't know how simple that is. They're doing a horrible job with the illegal immigration though. I can understand the viewpoint of the illegal workers who are trying to have a better life, but it is illegal and the people who should be really punished are those that hire them and create a demand.
    you really need to ask your self if this is so important why don't they actually do something about it? and if they did what would it be? would it work? and what would happen if worked? i think those questions would be quite revealing indeed.

It depends if your talking about residents perm or temp or citizens i guess. If people can't or won't become citizens then i think thats a bigger problem then the language they speak. I think the key with migrants is to make them care about the country they are now living. I am a British and Australian citizen and i care very much for both of these countries.

does that make any sense?
    Last edited by Beren Son Of Barahi; 12-17-2008 at 03:37.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Son Of Barahi View Post
    you really need to ask your self if this is so important why don't they actually do something about it?
    Votes.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

From the personal experience of being an immigrant, assimilating can make your life easier. But, I don't think you should forget your past.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Personally, the immigrants I am frustrated with the most about aren't from other countries, they're from other states.

That's right, I'm looking at you Idaho... with your unsweet potatoes, and your crazy well spoken accents.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    The free'er the market the free'er the people.
    Fixed. Immigration is fine as long as it fills up the gaps. But as it is now it's opium for the elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    But as it is now it's opium for the elite.
    That's funny, because I would say the same about Capitalism...
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    That's funny, because I would say the same about Capitalism...
    Why would a company want immigrants, and why would a politician want immigrants. Who is making a living and who is having a hobby.

Why would a company want immigrants, and why would a politician want immigrants. Who is making a living and who is having a hobby.
    Let me explain what I was saying:
    1) You changed JAG's post to a pro-capitalist message (Free markets = free people).
    2) You state that immigration is the opiate of the elite
    3) I use a combination of 1 and 2 to get a message across about Capitalism and how anything can be labelled as an opiate of the elite without any real substantive evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    and how anything can be labelled as an opiate of the elite without any real substantive evidence.
    One is and the other isn't, that's the difference. Evidence: just about every western nation.

The problem is the inequality, as it was all westerners were rich and other countries poor, now our clever capitalist managers found out if they hire immigrants from poor countries for less money they can themselves become even richer and shift the rich-poor gap from West-Rest of world to Managers-Everybody else due to the decrease in normal wages caused by undermining the previous wages with the use of poor immigrant workers and the resulting higher profits which the management usually uses to increase their own income, then whine that all the poor people don't buy enough.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

My problem with un-visa'd immigrants is: if we have, and are apparently sustaining 12 million of them (as some estimators guess), they - the immigrants - have 'jumped the line', and taken the place of 12 million other immigrants from China, India, Kenya, Germany, Hungary, Syria, Korea, etc., etc. who would also like to come and live and work here - and have followed the rules we set down, but get delayed or denied entry because we're "all full up".

It's a situation that deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The economic situation will sort things out. Right now, they are doing jobs we don't want to do. Soon, they will be competing for jobs with desperate citizens and the opportunities will diminish greatly.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Can't comment on US immigration policy's, but here's what I'd want for my own country:

Scrap the asylum institutions. Get the immigrants a job as soon as they walk off the plane/boat/truck/whatever. Start language classes immediately. Give them proper housing. Have someone look after and follow them up at all times, to eliminate any eventual problems they'll face with the government, laws, applying for stuff, etc etc. Give them the education they'll need in order to contribute to society. Ie., a former Iraqi truck driver would need a short course to learn the norwegian traffic laws, etc.

Most of all, focus on getting people involved in our society, do not focus on "letting as few as possible in", like we're doing today.

Unfortunately for me, the norwegian people are way too scared of darkies. So I'm left to day-dreaming about a Norway with around 10 million people.... Ah, it would've been sweet....
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-17-2008 at 17:33.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Most of all, focus on getting people involved in our society, do not focus on "letting as few as possible in", like we're doing today.
    Bake them a coke for their birthday. Really wut teh.....

Why should we do all these things, I would expect someone to be properly prepared. But this isn't about working it's about multicultural desire.

Bake them a coke for their birthday. Really wut teh.....

Why should we do all these things, I would expect someone to be properly prepared. But this isn't about working it's about multicultural desire.
    Because we'll benefit from it, as we're far too few here. It's win-win. And god knows I'm not going to contribute to raising the population numbers, so we're left with importing people.

Anyway, we do all of these things and more for the dutch people we're importing, so you really shouldn't complain, Fragony

Because we'll benefit from it, as we're far too few here. It's win-win. And god knows I'm not going to contribute to raising the population numbers, so we're left with importing people.

Anyway, we do all of these things and more for the dutch people we're importing, so you really shouldn't complain, Fragony
    Happy landing

Happy landing
    Norway is a logistical nightmare, Fragony. We would be a lot better off with around 10 million inhabitants.

Why else do you think we're paying dutch people to move here?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Immigrant workers - nothing. They're easy in, easy out. No rights to stay whatsoever. They're here for more cash than they can get at home and they're here as we can pay them less. When the balance alters off they go.

Immigrants - more difficult. I'm personally for reducing for everyone most benefits the state provides - minimal unemployment benefit, no children's allowance etc etc.

Also, translation for other languages, no information in other languages; perhaps courses to learn English.

Yes, you can come over and not integrate, but there's no financial or community support unless you do.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Why else do you think we're paying dutch people to move here?
    Because the dutch are terrific workers much unlike the import proletariat?

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Yes, you can come over and not integrate, but there's no financial or community support unless you do.
    What a well thought out plan to create a bunch of immigrant ghetto's in your country.

@Fragony: Uh..... what?
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-17-2008 at 18:13.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast