Poll: Which will happen first?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Default What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

Well, I found myself seeing an advertising in TV about the future, that the man would be on Mars, and that got me wondering. Will we see a man in Mars before we see man made facilities and man occupation (even if reduced and temporary) on the Moon?
    BLARGH!

Question Re: What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

Why would we colonize the moon? To prove a point?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

H3
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Question Re: What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

Why would we send a man to Mars? To prove a point?

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: What do you think will happen first: Man on Mars or Moon colonization?

Yeah in the majority here, man will walk on mars first, though i suppose it does depend on how basic the colony has to be... could you call the mirr (sp ?) space station a little colony in space ?

I expect us to walk on Mars with two decades... moon colonisation would be a bit further away i think, perhaps it would be colonised for future further afield space flights ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

I would hope for moon colonization first (by this I mean simply the establishment of a permanent small research base, similar in size and function to the ISS). This is simply because I suspect it would cost about the same but have a great deal more research value than simply a one-off shot to Mars, which as far as I can gather is primarily a prestige mission.

Of course, I would really prefer the money to be spent on unmanned probes, they are a lot cheaper and much more useful than manned missions.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    H3
    He3. I surely hope so.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Depends on your definition of 'Colony'. I mean, if you call the ISS a colony, then we'll colonize the Moon first. Otherwise, I think a one shot trip to Mars is the most likely. Remember, this doesn't have to be done by NASA. Don't tell me that some of the worlds budding space agencies in China or India wouldn't love to beat NASA to Mars.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

I think that both will happen at almost exactly the same time, after the Singularity has occured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_singularity

If I had to absolutely claim that one would happen before the other, I believe that flying to Mars in the near future will be easier than establishing a base on the Moon. I`m not sure about actually walking on Mars though.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi