Thread: Shogun/Samurai Swords Boardgame

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Shogun/Samurai Swords Boardgame

This is an oldie from the 80`s, I played it last night and it felt very much like playing Shogun Total War lol obviously the battles were a little different but the depth of strategy is very good for a boardgame.

Take a look Drisos :)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/221
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Default Re: Shogun/Samurai Swords Boardgame

Nice find, thanks!
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Thanks!

Read some text about it... and it sounds quite good! I love 'difficult' board games. (a.k.a. Games without luck deciding 50%-100% of the game outcome) Might see if I can get my hands on this.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Well I managed to get a copy off of EBAY. I`m playing tonight vs my girlfriend, brother and dad. Hopefully I will lead the armies of the green samurai to honourable victory! lol
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

So how'd it go? Does it play out decently?
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

It`s a very, very good game indeed my friend. It took longer than the reccomended 4 hours to play due to half the players never having played before but it was alot of fun.

The game started well for me as a number of my starting provinces were clustered together giving me a nice stronghold to spread out from. However, almost instantly my dad declared war on me whilst my brother and girlfriend declared they were to be allies(this alliance lasted the entire game despite both mine and my fathers best efforts to undermine it, grrrr!!) As the game progressed this alliance gained more and more wealth every turn which was used to recruit more and more armies. Eventually my dad saw sense and allied with me against the others but it was very touch and go. The only thing stopping the enemy alliance achieving total domination over the western half of the map was a single army led by one of my brave Daimyo based in Hoki province. Anyways, after a few setbacks, most noticably my ninja`s betraying me twice and assassinating my own commanders! We managed to grind them down by destroying 2 of my brothers regular samurai armies(You only have 3 at any one time) untill at 3am my dad was declared Shogun with 35 provinces under his control.

Result was a Purple Shogunate lol

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Sounds like a nice game, Wishazu
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Sounds freaking awesome!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

It was awesome guys. Next time I play I`ll start earlier in the day and take some piccies lol, perhaps give you a proper battle report lol.

If you can get hold of a copy I would advise you to buy it as it has been out of production for about 15 years It is for 2-5 players but i reccomend playing with at least 4 every time.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

It's a nice game indeed. I love islandhopping with mainarmies, dropping units from one, picking them up with another and then striking full force where it hurts.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I tend to use the Ninja alot to stop armies moving or attacking me, then destroying said armies with my counter-attack. I`ve only played it 3 times though, I havn`t tried much island hopping because all my opponents seem to love building fortresses on them.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

:) Smart opponents. Some manoeuvring and ninjas to destroy mainarmies is nice indeed.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I`ll hopefully be getting in another game tomorrow evening at my local wargames club. A few guys there have expressed an interest in regular games of Shogun- a few of them were fans of Shoggy total war years ago too.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi