Thread: Game won't play...

Default Game won't play...

I also posted this in FAQ, but then realized this was probably the more appropriate place for it.
    Was unable to locate a thread or post about this issue with a search, so here goes:

I previously downloaded EB 1.1 and played it with only minor hiccups (occasional CTD, etc.) for months, until recently.

The moment I installed MTW Kingdoms, EB would no longer play. I got either no response at all by clicking the icon, or the RTW thumbnail on the screen for a second or 2 and then nothing. Maybe 1 out of 10 tries, I'd get an error message stating that direct X 9 was not found.

So...I uninstalled EB, trivial script, unit recruitment, etc., uninstalled RTW, and started over. I reinstalled RTW, then downloaded 1.3 & 1.5 patches, installed those. Then downloaded EB1.1 again. I installed them all in the same location (not program files). Still will not play, trivial script or no.

I now get the following error message upon attempting to open EB 'play single player':

Execution of command 'RomeTW.exe-mod:eb-show-error-nm' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)

Any insight would be appreciated. MTW is Ok, but I grew to love EB.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Game won't play...

You appear to be lacking spaces between the switches and after the executable. Also, show-error is wrong.

RomeTW.exe-mod:eb-show-error-nm
    should be
    RomeTW.exe -mod:eb -show_err -nm

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Part of the discrepancy (lack of spaces) was simply my incorrect transcription. The 'err' Vs. 'error' part is the way it installed.

The error message (typed correctly this time) reads:

RomeTW.exe -mod:eb -show_error -nm

Where do i find that.exe to change it to what it should be? It is not in the target in the properties pull-down, but is still apparently a trivial script error. Step-by-step for this blind wanderer, please!?
    Last edited by LAST.MAN.STANDING; 12-17-2008 at 23:43.

In that case, the Trivial Script seems to have a problem. I don't know exactly how this works myself, and when I tried to install it it doesn't work for me. What I do know works is to create an own shortcut that points to RomeTW.exe and add the switches. The target line should basically be
    "<path to your RTW with EB>\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm

So, step by step:
    * Find your RTW installation where you installed EB into
    (* Run a validation - you can skip this if you're absolutely certain you installed in the right place)
    * Copy the full folder path to the clipboard
    * Go back to the desktop
    * Right-click somewhere where there is no icon
    * Choose New=>shortcut
    * Paste the RTW location and add the RomeTW.exe and switches

Then, run the game.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

He he....I was thinking more along the lines of,

"Start menu---right click 'x' icon---change 'x' to 'y' in target window, etc. etc."

I don't even know what a validation is.

Clueless, I tell you. I'm a hobbit from the Shire, you're Gandalf. That's about the measure of it.

See the "important information" sticky for the validation. And which part of the other instructions are unclear?

================
    ================

Thanks for your patience, Bovi.

it's not that your instructions are inherently unclear, its that I know so little that "find the install of RTW/EB..." for instance leaves me wondering where to look for it, and how to open it, and what to look at when I do open it, etc. etc. I've gone into the start menu and right clicked on the RTW icon, opened properties, etc. Also went directly to the username folder that the install is in, found RTW, right clicked, etc. etc. i just don't see where to find the target you specify.

Also, I tried to save both RTW and EB in the same location, but I'm thinking they might have ended up in different folders. I ran the validation, but it produced an error message. Didn't write down what it said, but I didn't get the validation script it said i should get.

Anyway, I'm thinking I need to uninstall and start over yet again.

Thanks for your help...or at least your willingness to help a hopeless case.

Actually, you can use the existing RTW shortcut to do it in an easier way. Possibly.

• Copy the RTW shortcut.
      • Right-click the shortcut
      • Choose Copy.
      • Right-click somewhere on the desktop where there is no icon.
      • Choose Paste (or Paste Shortcut, both should work fine).
    • Modify the new shortcut
      • Right-click the shortcut
      • Choose Properties.
      • Add the switches to the Target line. If there are quotemarks in the original target line, make sure you add them after those.
    Last edited by bovi; 12-27-2008 at 12:01.

================
    ================