Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid things YOUR A.I does

Default Re: Stupid things YOUR A.I does

One stupid thing is to send stack after stack of pantadopoi supported by the mighty akonkistai, that happened a lot when i was playing my ptolie campaign, it got old pretty fast i mean is fun to give ur phalanxes this kind of training battles but it can be really tedious, what else ive seen mmm well thats pretty much what happens on every campaign when a faction is almost done but well theyre fighting till the last man i think hahaha

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both." Erwin Rommel
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."Erwin Rommel
    "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Just lost a Client King, I had him for about two weeks I guess.

Complete Client KD in Athens, Macedonia moves up an army to retake it. I relieve it with Lucious Cornelio Scipio. My best general and Consul. Battle, Scipio has 4 Accensii, so he thinks it best to first pelter enemy line with Lead sling bullets (all his Acc has from 2 Br- 2 Sil Chevrons). While standing there and watching the Macedonian die Scipio suddenly sees something else and for a few seconds all the army is stunned by surprise, from the enemy left flank the Client King of Athens gallops in charging a Macedonian phalanx and Hoplite spear Block. Lucius is at a miss as what to do, if he charge he looses his advantage and a certain win, if he does not the Client ruler he just put on the throne of Athens will die. Reluctantly he charges some Hastati in to hit the macedonians from the flank and behind, but too late, before they get there the Client Ruler falls.

"I never got to know his name Claudivs", he says to his Master of The Horse as the battle finishes, the Macedons chased off like the cur dogs they are, "Let us have a drink to celebrate his stupidity. It is almost as abject as those Greeks who refused my gift of Kydonia so they could double their territoty.". "He was probably trying to prove himself to you Sir, though had he brains he should know that the best way of doing that is to win..." The two share a quiet toast to stupid Graeculi and hope that Cotta with reinforcements will soon get rescued from Crete where they are stranded...

Seriously, charging full speed all across the battlefield onto Pike
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

He committed suicide because he couldn't bear the thought of Athens under the rule of a king.

Of course, silly me... oh well, it is now ruled by a Roman Propraetor. THAT will teach them, damn Graeculi.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I think AI uses the basic tactic of newbie player ctrl+a then attack

But I must confess that I am happy to play with alex but even me got tired of fighting every battle myself cos VH/M basic config really makes a massacre if you autoresolve...

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

During my Ptolemy game the selukids sent armies of 300 men flying at Edessa and Damaskos for ten turns.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Well, in a strange game where only 227 BC saw me break the alliance with Chartage as they and Lusotania went to war. They had done nothing else to provoce me. Epiros on the other hand had refused peace even as I took their Adriatic posessions, and after dealing with an militarily powerhouse-Macedonia's backstab by conquering all Hellas (which was Macedonian), the AI did two more stupid things.

1. Pirates roughed up a navy at sea laden with anvasion troops a bit, so I landed them on Crete and while Pirates sunk the fleet next turn I took Crete from those rebels there. KH had a FM with an army on island and as KH otherwise had only Rhodos I offered them Crete as a gift, five or six times. I even added some money to sweeten the deal as I believe in peaceful coexistance and balance of power as long as we are not enemies (I also dislike Blitzing). No deal. Then after #2 they suddenly laid siege to it (which I suspected all along they would). I sailed my victorious Consular army there and afterwards to Rhodes and... well, the Graeculi are even now learning Latin and teaching at Roman schools- in chains! Those that are not working in the mines But I offered it to them, and added money

2. With only Pella and the province N of it still in their hands, Epiros nonetheless managed to get 3 full stacks while I dealt with Macedonia's 7-8 full stacks (God I love Rome and her Consular Army), so I moved my army up and mopped Thessalonikan floor with them, took Pella, razed all buildings to the ground and pulled out, figuring that they would retake it with some of the stragglers I left living for that exact purpose.. I then pulled to my Adriatic provinces and sent the Consular army to Rome for rebuild. Stupid Epirotes did not, a new stack that spawned in Thessaloniki went for my consular army on the way home and got what it deserved, the stragglers did... nothing. Eventually Pella rebelled from my control and Pontos moved to take it and Byzantium... Stupid AI, and it still refuses peace when I offer.

BTW, should there not be a mechanism to get Polybian Reforms without having Sicily and Liguria? I have fought much more in this campaign then in any previous where I went for the traditional road, Roman troops has bathed in blood and all her generals sleep fitfully from their nightmares... In fact Scipio and Blasio had 5 and 6 stars respectively when they were both alive, Cotta had 3 and some youth 2. The core 16 troops of the consular army has 2+ silver chevrons, but still I have not yet fought enough to reform my army

Oh well, soon Chartage must loose Sicily if I am to save the Lusotanians as those Baby-killers have taken much of Spain.

Anyway, stupid, stupid AI.

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

I simply love it how the AI tries so hard to gain my phalanx units' flanks and when it can't because they're protected just rushes all of his units, general and cavalry first right into the sea of pikes. It's just a classic AI mistake.

That's nothing compared to charging skirmisher units against heavy infantry... without launching a single javelin.

But that still doesn't beat rushing shieldless shock infantry towards skirmisher units, halt less than 20 feet away from them, then turn back and run... not rout- just plain old 'we didn't scare them the first time, so let's go back and try again' running like headless chickens with javelins in their backs.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

That's nothing compared to charging skirmisher units against heavy infantry... without launching a single javelin.

Better still are AI's Akontistai or other light skirmishers rushing into melee to engage specialized anti-skirmisher infantry. This happened to me once in a Sweboz vs Getai battle when the Getai AI charged my Slavic Spearmen - the ones with the "frighten infantry" attribute - frontally with one unit of Akontistai. After the poor lads had all been eaten by the barbarians, the AI sent the next unit of Akontistai head on against the Vojinos, again without having them throw even one single javelin beforehand...
    Last edited by athanaric; 02-01-2009 at 05:00. Reason: logic

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

I enjoy the AI when you offer them a ceasefire and for a sum of money and they counter with: ceasefire and accept or we will attack... they always end up attacking the next turn anyways.

Epeiros had become really powerful, controlling almost all the Balkans except Greece itself. As the Romani, I went to war with it and got it down to about 4 settlements left. I send an army against them and they send ALL their family members (like 3) to fight me at the head of an army. I mean, come on! You'd think they'd leave one behind in case they lose. But nope, the AI made another brilliant move. I killed all three generals in that one battle, routed their army, and Epeiros was defeated before it had even lost all its provinces. -M
    My Balloons:

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

That is just beautiful, man... you could even have lost that battle but won the war. Poetic, huh?

If all AI's did that, just sent their armies with all their family members to spearhead the operation you could win the campaign in the first few decades.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Another diplomatic masterpiece by the Pahlavans: "We demand that you do not attack us, if you do not adhere to this, we will attack you"

What.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Another diplomatic masterpiece by the Pahlavans: "We demand that you do not attack us, if you do not adhere to this, we will attack you"
    I've gotten that one a few times as well, just brilliant! I mean I guess it kinda make sense since if you do attack them you expect them to attack you back, but it is stating the obvious... just a little bit anyways!

Thats happened to me lots of times, I wonder if there's a way to fix it?

I noticed in M2TW and BC that sometimes an AI diplomat will come over to one of my cities and thay will do the animation that happens when thay initiate diplomacy but nothing happens, they do that for almost every turn till they die.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

I think they are tyring to bribe you.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Why I never get the chance to accept or decline the bribe? I just got them turn their backs on me with little more than a box of text on my monitor...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

afaik the money goes to the Gouvernor/general and not to the faction that he belongs/belonged to.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Why I never get the chance to accept or decline the bribe? I just got them turn their backs on me with little more than a box of text on my monitor...
    Because it depends on the traits of your FM (selfish, disloyal etc.) how easy or difficult it is to bribe him. If the army is very small in a city it is more easier to bribe than a big army. You can't control it yourself, thats the point.

edit: The whole bribe system would be senseless if you could control it. When you need the FM you would never accept it and I suppose the amount of money would be too high for the player to get. I tried it once on a Lustannan FM, and it would have cost my about 600 000 mnai to bribe him.
    Last edited by TheStranger; 02-02-2009 at 18:21.

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

my AI hasn't done anything for about 24 years
    "Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    I've gotten that one a few times as well, just brilliant! I mean I guess it kinda make sense since if you do attack them you expect them to attack you back, but it is stating the obvious... just a little bit anyways!
    No, that is actually one of the more sensible proposals it can make. It wants a ceasefire and promises to not attack you if you don't attack it, until further notice. This happens all the time in the modern world too, the parties don't make peace but agree to a pause in the fighting. The problem is that the military AI and the diplomatic AI doesn't care about what the other thinks, so it will promptly barricade a port or siege a settlement after getting agreement.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

But there is a ceasefire option anyways that it never uses. Did I mention I was at peace with them too?
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Recent example:

Epiros attacked one of my Illirian towns. In my army I have one units of princeps, 1 Illitian Levies, 1 accensii and 4 Illirian spearmen and 1 FM with 20 Consulari. They attack me with 2x Thrakian peltasts, 5 units of Thrakian spearmen, 2x of classical hoplites, 1x elite phalanx and faction heir with 56 bodyguard Hetairoi. Their first mistake is to give the ram to heavily depleted unit of classical hoplites (20). Siege goes as usual with ladders and towers advancing to the walls. Accensii are working on the ram. The hoplites bring the ram to the gates and break through, but suffer such losses that they can't pull the ram out. So, one of their units of Thrakian spearmen runs to the gate and tries to get inside THROUGH the ram, gets stuck and devastated by boiling oil. Next thing is their FM runs to the gate, gets stuck and loses 45 of 57 Hetairoi the same way. Remaining Hetairoi manage to get inside and are slaughtered by my FM and princeps who are waiting for them. At the same time he pushes his elite phalanx through the siege tower onto the walls where I surround them with Illirian levies (AP ability helps) and spearmen, and that phalanx slowly but steadily goes down to those 2 units. In the end I win battle that I should lose if only the AI had some clue to how properly lay siege.

and that's my 100-th post btw
    Last edited by Marcus Ulpius; 02-06-2009 at 11:28.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

They sent the Ram with the hoplitai because they are the most disposable afterall... but they forgot to turn the loose formations on...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12