Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things YOUR A.I does

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Default Stupid things YOUR A.I does

This is THE thread to post the silly, stupid, and dumb things your A.I does. Like an AI army getting stuck near the post because some pirate fleets block them

-Skullheadhq
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Stupid things YOUR A.I does

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    This is THE thread to post the silly, stupid, and dumb things your A.I does. Like an AI army getting stuck near the post because some pirate fleets block them

-Skullheadhq
    the Visigoths (not EB, but you said nothing of it): ducking off a critical hill, letting me have the hill, and then swamp them in no time, and with minimal losses, faster than Bush ducks to dodge the shoe*

It happened in IBFD, 422 AD, not far from Taras.

*Its just to show how quickly they gave it up-don't take seriously.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-18-2008 at 15:48.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

For some reason, Roman generals like pointy sarrisas. >:|
    This space intentionally left blank.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

of course they do! thats the best they deserve! =P

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Engaging my armies in battle.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Adds the I to AI. It's always a mistake. Don't they ever look back on history?
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Someone needs to hack the Norad computer can get it to play EB with us. If it goes rampant and tries to launch its missiles, we could force it to play bridge battles against itself until it learns the futility of war.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I'm afraid no thread can list all the stupid things the AI does...

Maion
    ~Maion

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

The AI ALWAYS= Epic fail. i mean when a routing unit routs THROUGH the unit theyare trying to get away from does that sound smart at ALL?!?!?!

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

When AI felt outnumbered or losing, they will wait for you to come at the top edge of a hill in the farthest corner of the map.

Later......

We switched position without a single engagement.
    - REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

- a very generous bribe from Yarema

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Someone needs to hack the Norad computer can get it to play EB with us. If it goes rampant and tries to launch its missiles, we could force it to play bridge battles against itself until it learns the futility of war.
    haha great movie! War Games ya?
    ~WotB~
    Strategos Epilektos Panaitolos Ankyrikos Commander of 1sy Lydian Army

~BtSH~

Consul/Dux Cornelius Blasio

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by navarro951 View Post
    haha great movie! War Games ya?
    Yes, indeed it was a splendid movie. My 10th grade history teacher told us back when I was in his class that whenever someone brings the DVD of the movie, he will cancel whatever we were going to do that class, even a test.

Randomly charging their general, bodyguards, and random cavalry into my phalanxes and spearman. Though they want to be like Gandalf and the riders of Rohan at Helm's Deep, but they aren't that good and will never be, considering they are dead.

One specific example in EB is when I was playing as the Romani. Conquered Italy, thrashing Carthage and killed the Averni. The Aedui randomly decides to attack me, accept a ceasefire the next turn, attack me again, ceasefire again. This happened until i was able to move my armies out of Africa and Spain and into Gaul, then promptly trashed the Aedui for their extreme indecision...
    Last edited by falls180; 12-19-2008 at 11:03.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

My Lusotann ai in recent Kardhastim campaign (very hard on the campaign map, medium battle) empty their town garrison and start moving south, try to siege my city, without any second tought that my elite stack arrive at their capital. They are eliminated while still sieging my backwater town in iberia After that Aedui start to move their army toward my territory, not looking at their backyard, the Romani eat their territory... they are soon eliminated too... the only challange is to Kick out Romani, who already grows into a huge empire (revealed that they allready expand as far as germania, and pushing the sauromatae when I use toggle_fow)... but most of their army was out on the steppe now, and leave their italian city almost unattended... in 87 BC --> Romani is a Huge Greek-Steppe Empire (Owns all greek land, knock the door of Tsidon, masters of the Steppe, but kicked out of Italy) that always pose threat to My own Kardhastim Empire.

Very - very - very ahistorical, but I suppose that the very hard ai tend to create a single superpower to grind my empire... Only Me, Romani, Saka, and Baktria has the noticeable colour on the map. KH lives on tiny crete, Casse only owns Britain, Phalavans are Saka's Vassal with 1 backyard province, and Seleucids are now Baktrian subject... all other gone away

I hope in EB II, the campaign ai will act rather defensively, not a suicidal aggresive move. Beating an idiot turtle (stubbornly play defensive) is more challenging than counterattacking an idiot rusher.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

While the campaign AI in MedII is much better than the one in RTW(See The Center's AI Mods), the battle AI is still pathetic. I wouldn't mind switching over to Empire if they release mod tools quickly and stuff. Jack Lusted and the rest of the AI team seem like they're confident in the AI as have put tons of work into it.

But since we are talking about MedII, does anyone know if you can force hte AI to keep a formation so we don't have stupid phalanxes going everywhere and failing massively?
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 12-19-2008 at 15:04.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    But since we are talking about MedII, does anyone know if you can force hte AI to keep a formation so we don't have stupid phalanxes going everywhere and failing massively?
    AFAIK, yes. Darth Formations are a bright example of this.

Maion
    ~Maion

Playing on Very Hard difficulty is the easiest way to see faults with the AI. It is programmed at that level to brainlessly throw every available unit at you, regardless of other wars, finance, alliances, or even your own military strength as soon as you border upon them.
    Peace is completely untenable on VH. The game is psychologically and statistically balanced on medium - hard will make the AI far more opportunistic, and the rebels will behave more violently. But VH is simply ruinous.

You must give yourself special handicaps instead, I know everything was unfairly easy for me on Medium difficulty - until I decided I would play EVERY battle on the General Cam, and have my camera flat upon the field constantly.
    It was much more fun and the AI seemed less stupid with this example of a handicap.

I played my Romani Campaign using only 10 stack armies... Yeah so when the Aedui sent a full stack of Gaestae south... well I'm just glad they attacked the other celts with it and ignored me.

Another funny AI story? C'mon guys!

oh alrite alrtie keep your knickers on!

The ptolemies elite pike army letting me wander round them and killing off the 5 generals they had with them. Epic battle. Might post the Screen shot in the December competetion... I dont think its worthy though.
    As I walked through the Glenshane Pass I heard a young girl mourn
    The boy form Tamlaghtduff 'she cried 'is two years dead and gone'
    How my heart is torn apart this young man to lose
    Oh I'll never see the likes again of my young Francis Hughes ....

Sending al their elite phalagantai one by one and then in a desperate act throw their 3 generals at my palagantai getting killed, the only thing that was left for my cavalry was to just kill them all when routing.

Hey guys, I know you are busy watching that line of Indo-baktrians, but shouldn't we assist our general Alexandros Syriakos who is repeatedly attacked by baktrian cataphracts just next to us? Guys? Guys? Whatever, I'm not here.

Unknown soldier of the Seleukeian Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou, Taxshila 205BC
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

hahahaha, nice one!

This story started in the line of the topic but ended quite differently...

After my Roman consul marched his legion into spain he was attacked by stack after stack of lusotanians. While fighting hard to stay alive and winning battle after battle[losing 20% of his men each battle,enemy losing 80%] suddenly the ai becomes almost as smart as an actual human: Iff you can't take down the general in battle...backstab the guy!

So; after 4 stacks of lusotanians lay defeated on the ground, my general gets killed by an assasin and then next turn 2 big stacks launch at his army again. without his superior leadership[and with abit of my roleplay ] the armies get massacred and Rome is beaten right back out of spain,hurray for the ai!

(note; my general had a spy in his army to prevent assasination and multiple traits to save him, but the ''conqueror'' trait gives -5 to security making him still a nice target for a trained assasin, which the ai made sure to bring; 6 skillpoints on the guy!)

Quote Originally Posted by rootje View Post
    This story started in the line of the topic but ended quite differently...

After my Roman consul marched his legion into spain he was attacked by stack after stack of lusotanians. While fighting hard to stay alive and winning battle after battle[losing 20% of his men each battle,enemy losing 80%] suddenly the ai becomes almost as smart as an actual human: Iff you can't take down the general in battle...backstab the guy!

So; after 4 stacks of lusotanians lay defeated on the ground, my general gets killed by an assasin and then next turn 2 big stacks launch at his army again. without his superior leadership[and with abit of my roleplay ] the armies get massacred and Rome is beaten right back out of spain,hurray for the ai!

(note; my general had a spy in his army to prevent assasination and multiple traits to save him, but the ''conqueror'' trait gives -5 to security making him still a nice target for a trained assasin, which the ai made sure to bring; 6 skillpoints on the guy!)
    Did you read the title of this thread? What is it with newbs and reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Did you read the title of this thread? What is it with newbs and reading?

Did you read my first sentence?

Incase you did but didn't understand it; the ai was again being extremely stupid by sending stack after stack into a honourless defeat but then suddenly woke up from it's stupidity and did something brilliant, isn't this a nice place to show how the ai can also balance out it's stupidty?

I guess I don't have enough posts to be worthy of a thorough read of my posts...

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

@ rootje: Take it easy, it was a good story of yours.

To add one of my own: When playing as Pahlava, a full AS stack appeared in front of Zadrakarta right at the river crossing and just waited there. I did not have much forces, but I felt, that just for the role-playing reasons I just have to give battle - my generals traits said that he is a little bit overconfident attacker and selfish enough to engage even in obviously unfavourable cirumstances.

So I was the attacker in a bridge battle, where the AI could easily just calmly wait for me to come and be slaugthered. However the Seleleukid general (named "Adidas" hehe) charged with all his forces accross the bridge... see here for details - look for the "Art of War" section
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 01-22-2009 at 19:06.

One of my stupid AI stories:

In my Saka game there was a large Eleutheroi stack in the mountains north-east of Baktra not far from the edge of the desert. It was there from the beginning of the game laying an ambuch. After I lost a few due to their ambush I decided to teach the guys a lesson. It was also supposed to be a challenge as the army was full of Saka heavy cavalry and dahae horse archers. Pretty much the same composition as mine.

So I attack them and prepare for a bloodbath, arrow storm, heavy cavalry clashes and so on. To my great amusement AI lines all his army in a single column in the middle of the field and freezes. LITERALLY! Tried to provoke them to change the formation, but to no avail. Even when completely annihilated a few units of his HAs AI did absolutely nothing.

So after all my hopes for a challenge I was left dissapointed by an incompetience of the battle AI.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    @ rootje: Take it easy, it was a good story of yours.

To add one of my own: When playing as Pahlava, a full AS stack appeared in front of Zadrakarta right at the river crossing and just waited there. I did not have much forces, but I felt, that just for the role-playing reasons I just have to give battle - my generals traits said that he is a little bit overconfident attacker and selfish enough to engage even in obviously unfavourable cirumstances.

So I was the attacker in a bridge battle, where the AI could easily just calmly wait for me to come and be slaugthered. However the Seleleukid general (named "Adidas" hehe) charged with all his forces accross the bridge... see here for details - look for the "Art of War" section

that was HILARIOUS(the AAR section)!!

reminds my of the time when 600 seleukids attacked me as Pahlava: it was an open field, the ground sloping upwards towards the enemy: they outnumbered me too (3 to one). rather that advancing in one unit, or at least hold the heights, they sent their units against me, one by one, in piecemeal manner: within 10 minutes, there was a long carpet of dead, all along the length of the battlefield, and wide enogh for a large sized phalanx to fit in, 10 deep. I only lost 1 man, shot by my own men.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 01-22-2009 at 23:37.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I just had a battle against Saka, who didn't have any missile units (Weird huh?) I had only one unit of Persian Archers, and once I ran out of arrows, I let them go on a Banzai charge straight into a mercernary phalanx. Not only did the other phalanx not try and help, the one I had attacked knida stood there, lifting its spears up and down while my Archers and their kitchen knives wiped them out.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 01-26-2009 at 07:00.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast