Thread: An "Africanization" strategy with the Ptolies?

Default An "Africanization" strategy with the Ptolies?

I've been thinking about starting a Ptolemaioi campaign. However, usually when I do that, I end up in an endless quagmire in the Middle East, fighting the Seleukids. So I wonder if it would be a viable strategy to abandon the struggle there, giving all the cities away or something. Then to use a city close to Africa, for example in the Sinai, as an easily defendable "door" to Africa. Think how Denmark was a "door" to Scandinavia in MTW1.

I'd just keep the African province ("Africanization") and Cyprus, and capture somore more provinces in Africa, and then maybe take som Meditarreaneain islands. In other words, forgetting about the Middle East for a (long) while.

Is this feasible? Has anybody tried?

Default Re: An "Africanization" strategy with the Ptolies?

As long as you don't mind the endless stacks of AS phalanxes which will eventually be naught but Klerouch and Agryaspides then sure. Any chocke point area is defendable. If you're using BI or later, beware, as the AI AS will target Cyprus a LOT. I'm sure if you're the human it will also be with ever-increasing potency as well. Plus the Punic side of Africa is not exactly overflowing with recruitment possibilities as the Ptolies. But its definitely doable if you want to try a new direction.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Sounds like a nice idea, but as Curlyton said, beware of endless AS attacks and limited recruitment. Carthage should actually be pretty easy to take out, they're African territories are usually pretty poorly defended in the early game.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

I got curious and checked the RW. Looks like you can actually get the Hellenic Medium Phalanx along the entire northwestern African coast, and at just a level 3 Native barracks at that.
    A strong phalanx core with the excellent Numidian support units could make for a very interesting army.
    Just picture this:

1 FM
    5 Medium Phalanx
    3 Numidian Skirmishers
    3 Numidian Cavalry
    2 Numidian Nobles
    3 Numidian Slingers
    3 Numidian Archers

Mix in some African Elephants, Maure and Garamantine Infantry and a Libyan general or two, and you´ve a incredible army right there.

*drools*

If you don´t do this, I might have to.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Remember the RV is 1.1 so I have no idea if it holds true for 1.2.
    Though if it does then basically the AS and Ptolies are the only two nations outside of the Romans who can take a very core unit and basically go anywhere and be able to recruit it. Of course, that recruitment was originally when Klerouchs were L4 pre-1.0 so maybe its just never been an issue.
    Also, I like the Ethiopian units better.
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 12-19-2008 at 22:11.
    Balloons:

I was looking at the RV and you could recruit the Hellenic Medium phalanx all the way up to Gaul... baffled me.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikil100 View Post
    I was looking at the RV and you could recruit the Hellenic Medium phalanx all the way up to Gaul... baffled me.
    That was from the old days when that unit's recruitment area was determined by areas that could sustain settled farmer-soldiers. You may want to check the government options in those areas, though. You may not actually be able to recruit them because you can't get the appropriate levels of MICs.

Ever since the Klerouch was changed to L3 it doesn't matter, as a L3 gov and thus L3 Native Mic can be built. So unless the recruitment area has been changed then they can recruit it in all that has been shown.
    EDIT: Just ran a quick test and yes, the Ptolies can recruit in those areas. Conquer away!
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 12-25-2008 at 09:27.
    Balloons:

Hmm ok, thanks for the response.

But the Seleukids will just keep pushing, even if I disengage from their spjhere of interest?

Their sphere of interest = very large, and you're always in it. Unless you are willing to do a lot of FD you're basically stuck with logjamming the AS at a point of your chooosing.
    Balloons:

How about giving the buffer territories to the Saba, anyone tried that? From my experience the AI is less hostile if it doesnt share a border with you...?

Blog Entries

Yes, because there's no reason to attack you.

The strategy itself may work.. but the longer you leave the seleucids alone the tougher troops they will send.

A buffer state might be a good idea but maybe try someone different then the Saba - there forces are no mach for the AS
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

You risk saba getting stronger and also what if someone tougher replaces the selekids eg. pahlava and baktria, then you'll face stronger enemies in my opinion and saba won't last long.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

If you are willing to use FD for this - try another hellenistic faction as your buffer, i.e. KH (allies and already at war with AS) or Makedonia (allies of AS but not necessarily at war with you so they might turn out to be a very stable buffer). Personally I would prefer KH because their victory conditions do not collide with your african territories ('xept Kyrene). But you should establish them there early in the game so they get a chance to build up their MICs (they don't use those of AS and Ptolemaioi).
    But then, you lose a LOT of money by abandoning all that sea-trade in the middle east. Have you already tried blitzing Damaskos (2nd turn) and Antiocheia (3rd or 4th turn)? Forget about the two type III colonies in Mikra Asia, use those units to kill the 1 unit of Agyraspides in Antiocheia before the AS gets its reinforcements in place; that city gives you immediate access to Pezhetairoi and serves as an excellent choke point against the AS.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.