Thread: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Thumbs up Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

About freakin' time. Worst PR evar.

Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits

After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy.

The decision represents an abrupt shift of strategy for the industry, which has opened legal proceedings against about 35,000 people since 2003. Critics say the legal offensive ultimately did little to stem the tide of illegally downloaded music. And it created a public-relations disaster for the industry, whose lawsuits targeted, among others, several single mothers, a dead person and a 13-year-old girl.

Instead, the Recording Industry Association of America said it plans to try an approach that relies on the cooperation of Internet-service providers. The trade group said it has hashed out preliminary agreements with major ISPs under which it will send an email to the provider when it finds a provider's customers making music available online for others to take.

Depending on the agreement, the ISP will either forward the note to customers, or alert customers that they appear to be uploading music illegally, and ask them to stop. If the customers continue the file-sharing, they will get one or two more emails, perhaps accompanied by slower service from the provider. Finally, the ISP may cut off their access altogether.

Default Re: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

Although the ISP cut offs could turn out to be a problem.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

This is just trading one bad method for another equally bad method.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

At least switching ISPs is easier than going through a major lawsuit.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Default Sv: AW: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    At least switching ISPs is easier than going through a major lawsuit.
    Some ISPs in Sweden has already stated that they will refuse to follow that law.
    Mean what's the point of using a 100mb/sec broadband if not to download stuff, look at wiki ??
    The ISPs know it hence won't follow it since well, it's bad for business.

It's even easier not to distribute music illegally on the internet but I guess that thought hasn't crossed anyone's mind...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Husar, you're quite right, if nobody ever violated copyright laws, no matter how broad and ill-defined, there would be no problem. And then man and beast could live together as one, and death would have no sway over mortals, and we would spend eternity dancing to heavenly choirs.

Short of that scenario, however, a large portion of people are going to engage in filesharing. How we deal with that is the question.

Does it make sense for the music labels to sue single mothers into permanent, crippling debt, as in the case of Jammie Thomas? Does that strike you as a fair, just and equitable way to cope with worldwide filesharing? If not, why not? Consider the ill-will and horrible PR the labels reaped by suing computerless grandmothers, dead people, and two year olds. Consider how this behavior turned the public against the labels. Consider the millions of dollars they lost through this tactic.

If your position is that the labels should be able to do as they like to those who violate the law, where does that stop? Should we castrate filesharers? Should we kill them? Imprison them for the rest of their natural lives?

If your answer to any of those questions is "no," then maybe we need to consider proportional response to a crime. And once you've ceded that point, it's a short step to admitting that mass lawsuits against your own customers is madness.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: AW: Merry Xmas: Music Industry to Stop Driftnet Lawsuits Against Individuals

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Some ISPs in Sweden has already stated that they will refuse to follow that law.
    Mean what's the point of using a 100mb/sec broadband if not to download stuff, look at wiki ??
    The ISPs know it hence won't follow it since well, it's bad for business.

ISPs over here in their advertisement openly admit that their download speeds and unlimited download capacity are "great for downloading movies and music" and I´m quoting directly...

so I have to agree...nothing will come of this....the ISPs aren´t gonna shoot their own business in the foot.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Husar, you're quite right, if nobody ever violated copyright laws, no matter how broad and ill-defined, there would be no problem. And then man and beast could live together as one, and death would have no sway over mortals, and we would spend eternity dancing to heavenly choirs.

Short of that scenario, however, a large portion of people are going to engage in filesharing. How we deal with that is the question.

Does it make sense for the music labels to sue single mothers into permanent, crippling debt, as in the case of Jammie Thomas? Does that strike you as a fair, just and equitable way to cope with worldwide filesharing? If not, why not? Consider the ill-will and horrible PR the labels reaped by suing computerless grandmothers, dead people, and two year olds. Consider how this behavior turned the public against the labels. Consider the millions of dollars they lost through this tactic.

If your position is that the labels should be able to do as they like to those who violate the law, where does that stop? Should we castrate filesharers? Should we kill them? Imprison them for the rest of their natural lives?

If your answer to any of those questions is "no," then maybe we need to consider proportional response to a crime. And once you've ceded that point, it's a short step to admitting that mass lawsuits against your own customers is madness.
    So... to cut down on the Public-Relations disaster of collateral damage, the RIAA is eschewing the use of lawsuit carpet-bombing and city firestorms, in favor of locally-cooperative Cruise Missles and Bunker-Busters. A more surgical shock-and-awe tactic. Is that about it?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Intellectual property is a crock of steaming garbage. One day, people will be rewarded based on the merit of their ideas and the patronage of others who believe in the continuance their work.

Finite property is real property. We need to re-evaluate our laws so that they both protect the author to an extent and make coherent sense based on the reality of the product in question.

The funniest thing is that the people suing those who sensibly use files didn't create the music/movie/game in question, but rather hijacked the ideas of others to make some money. These middle men are the problem and copyright protection only seems to cover them.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-20-2008 at 18:21.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Finite property is real property. We need to re-evaluate our laws so that they both protect the author to an extent and make coherent sense based on the reality of the product in question.
    Yeah, and I need an Italian girlfriend with big mammary glands and kickass cooking who won't also despise an Irishman like me.

Anyway.

In other words, what you're suggesting is fairly complicated and elusive, even without the interference of the record companies. I mean, sure, it MIGHT be possible, but it's not likely, because any law enforcing any free sharing will encourage exploitation by music pirates, and any law enforcing paid distribution will encourage exploitation by greedy artists. Not that that represents everyone; but people like them still cause all the problems.

And yeah, everyone exploits the laws, but you have to admit, it's a fairly common problem in the music industry, much moreso than the average exploitation of the law.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 12-21-2008 at 18:30.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Yeah, and I need an Italian girlfriend with big mammary glands and kickass cooking who won't also despise an Irishman like me.

Anyway.

In other words, what you're suggesting is fairly complicated and elusive, even without the interference of the record companies. I mean, sure, it MIGHT be possible, but it's not likely, because any law enforcing any free sharing will encourage exploitation by music pirates, and any law enforcing paid distribution will encourage exploitation by greedy artists. Not that that represents everyone; but people like them still cause all the problems.

And yeah, everyone exploits the laws, but you have to admit, it's a fairly common problem in the music industry, much moreso than the average exploitation of the law.
    It is much simpler than people think. Laws should exist to protect artists from others stealing their ideas and selling them, but production and distribution have become so potentially cheap that they are almost a non-cost, unless you are one of those morons who goes to way to expensive producer studios.

The "pay whatever you want for our mp3" plan works for good bands. They can charge a set price for the finite things that they sell - If you want a special press of an album, memorabilia, shirts, tickets to a show, etc for a high price because they will become more rare to find for real fans. The noise itself shouldn't be protected except from the black market. For good bands there is a big market for this and they don't have to worry their pretty little heads about files on the web. People who really like you will give you money because they want you to continue to do what you do.

CD prices are way too low for real fans and way too high for casual listeners. The web should be a big positive for good bands - I can't tell you the amount of CD's I bought when I was a young guy based on the illegal songs that I took from the web - Or the amount of people I go to listen to those new, good bands.

The majority of the costs goes into marketing for all media mediums. I say screw the marketing - be good at what you do and the new age will reward you by marketing you for free.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 12-21-2008 at 18:30.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ