Thread: So, who plays EB online?

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

Default So, who plays EB online?

Hi guys, as you may see this is my first post on this forum. I have just recently discovered EB and am

quite interested in it. Actually, it is downloading as i type this. Anyway, as the tread title asks, who plays EB online?

I ask this because i am primarily an online player for RTW vanilla, so when i install EB will i be hooked for a long time by MP battles? Or will i be doomed to the campaign which i find gets old? Are there sufficient MP numbers or is it dead?

Thanks in advance!

"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!

Default Re: So, who plays EB online?

i personally dont, not sure really if people play it that much.
    "If there's no football in heaven...im not going..."

When I last played in June, there were discreet clubs, and a tournament being organised too.
    Oh it is fun! Very fun! Units are well balanced, and the only rules apply to the amount of Horse Archers one should have.

Of course, you must be forgiven for saying you will tire of the Single Player campaign - because you have never played it - and therefore you can't know how good it is, how different it is the the cartoon of "Vanilla".

All Multiplayer threads have been removed, and activity is nothing as bright as it was six months ago, but there will be players out there.
    And it is worth searching for them. Especially if it means playing a 3v3 game, or a 1v1v1!

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

um unfortunately not many play online, I do... from time to time... though
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Check out this site:
    http://totalwarmultiplayermods.freef...arorum-f4.html

King Hannibal might still play, though I don't know...?

You are a fine researcher and hstorian.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You are a fine researcher and hstorian.
    Smartass....

I have never played any Total War game/mod online.

The EB campaign doesn't get old, trust me.

If you download the mod pack also, even better. The AI will actually use real formations in battle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I have never played any Total War game/mod online.
    Me neither, although I've heard from friends that a lot of the battles have phalanx circles nudging up to each other.

I played RTW online about 10 times, and every single time i played it the people i played against used 1 of 2 armies with one of two cheapass tactics.

NUMBER 1 - Spartan hoplites arranged in a pentagon, spears pointing outward, cretan archers in the middle.

NUMBER 2 - 20 units of persian horse archers. I assume at this point they just set them to FAW and skirmish and went to take a dump or have a cup of tea or whatever. There is no way to beat this army and horse archers should be banned from multiplayer, if not banned then literally, LITERALLY limited to 1 unit.

i once played a friend who miscontrued my messages and believed that i would be deploying an all-cavalry army, his subsequent phalanx ring succumbed to sustained tindanotae assaults...

i rarely play MP, and when i do i play with a sort of 'clan' - although it hardly warrants the name - so we have certain unspoken rules and codes of conduct which limit the use of cheap tactics and encourage army balancing. i find EB MP a vastly more enjoyable experience than vanilla, sadly my clan mates dont seem to think so (i guess they're just tired of losing :P)

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

Playing an opponent you actually KNOW makes it a very enjoyable experience. A friend and I played using a LAN connection, and we had some pretty tough battles. The fun part was that we tried to be as historical as possible when we chose units and tactics. It's a fun experience.

Oh, and the single-player campaign is far from the Vanilla Rome: Total War. It is so much more in-depth, thanks to the Europa Barbarorum team. The only limitation is the AI, but you'll find that the campaigns are no cakewalk. So much work was put into the project that one could spend months not just playing, but learning from what the team had to offer. Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll find Europa Barbarorum to be a truly entertaining and informative experience.

Enjoy!
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!