Thread: Best language learning program?

Default Best language learning program?

I want to learn to speak spanish fluently, however my high school spanish II class isn't really working for me, because I'm not being taught fast enough. I don't have a lot of money so expensive programs like Rosetta Stone are out of the question for me. Does anyone know of a good program for learning foreign languages that doesn't cost too much? Since this is an international forum I figured it would be a great place to ask
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 12-21-2008 at 05:40.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: Best language learning program?

Do you know anyone who speaks Spanish?

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Yeah, I know a few people who try to learn from these things. It usually turns out they speak TOO good almost and don't find the little slang that comes with modern day languages. I learn German from friends so it's filled with a little more slang, but hey, I'm teaching myself (until I get to Uni).

Don't know any programs for Spanish though.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Do you know anyone who speaks Spanish?
    Yea some of my best friends are hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    Yeah, I know a few people who try to learn from these things. It usually turns out they speak TOO good almost and don't find the little slang that comes with modern day languages. I learn German from friends so it's filled with a little more slang, but hey, I'm teaching myself (until I get to Uni).

Don't know any programs for Spanish though.
    Once I start learning more spanish I plan on practicing with my latino friends so hopefully I will pick up on the slang that way.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lignator View Post
    Yea some of my best friends are hispanic.
    Well, since they're your friends you can obviously converse with them in English, so throw in little things in Spanish and ask them to correct it. Gradually move on to more complicated sentence structures.

Ha ha ha! You're not being taught fast enough? You are not learning fast enough!
    I have accomplished a fluent level of speech, excellent reading, and proper grammar in Deutsch in just under six months with the help of these agents;

A German-English dictionary, (Collins) with a 126 page Grammar.

Two books of German Poetry.

A fine, gentlemanly 86 year old Austrian, who wrote one of the above books, and gave me the other.

With the man I have had many long discussions - in the first, I would simply sit and say, "Ja", "Manchmal", "Vielleicht" or "Nein".
    But I learned first to read flawlessly, secondly I learned to hear easily, then to write properly, and finally to verbally construct sentences and replies amicably in the beautiful language.

I can not simply tell you not to rush, because I too was in haste when I first began learning Deutsch.
    But you MUST have a passion for the language itself, if you are to learn it quickly.
    The poetry and old Deutsch songs I learned were marvellous and very warm - the literature of the language more philosophical in many authors than can be found in English.
    I love the language, and so I adopt it very smoothly.

You must also do this with Spanish - and avoid those get-rich schemes that so many are trapped by.
    One cannot learn a language by listening to it being muttered on a digital device and jogging about a city!

One may do so by being heatedly involved in a political discussion in this new language for example - being mentally exerted in order to use what vocabulary one has to express their views correctly, and without insult.

Lastly, if you can, when you find a native speaker, (and you must find one), it is best you choose the most intellectual individual - for he or she will have the greatest knowledge and use of their language, and will teach it to you more easily.

And your discussions will be diverse and interesting.

Oh.. And if you will accept this advice - let me ask that you do not learn the slang of Spanish - or any language, learn to speak it eloquently and politely. There is no need for learning how to curse another person in a new language. Nor a reason for learning old terrible habits in a new language.
    (Like saying that you either "Hate" or "Love" something..)
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 12-21-2008 at 06:17.

I understand what you're getting at, but I still think my spanish class isn't enough. I love spanish and I'm getting an A pretty easily. The problem is the other kids in the class don't care about spanish, so the teacher makes the class easy so they don't all fail. Because of this, I feel like I'm not being challenged enough so the vocabulary isn't sticking. Last year I had a great spanish teacher who quizzed us every day and made the class more challenging. I learned a lot that way and I could even compose simple sentences. Sadly I forgot a lot of it during the summer, and the teacher I have this year uses a different teaching approach, so she didn't review a lot of the stuff I learned my first year.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 12-21-2008 at 06:34.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had exactly the same problem except mine was Chinese. Had a ok teacher, then had a awesome teacher except he didnt teach us but played pegs and cricket inside the classroom, with loads of classmate who just didn't care about Chinese but more of having fun. Most of the class quited when that teacher quited, and we had a awesome teacher who actually taught us stuff, made quizzes and jokes and stuff. Then next year, we had a crappy teacher again who just made us do work and not teaching us anything.

I guess the best way is to get your self in the situation that you have to use Spanish. Like going to Spain or staying in your Hispanic friends house over the holiday.

I heard that Spanish is mostly about learning lots of vocabs. I suggest learning a lot of them and watch Spanish news or something to practice the sound of it.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

heheheh I speak spanish... in fact, it's my native language =P

I'm currently learnin french, and I'm... 3/4 done with it, or at least till I get a more fluid (and with less errors) but all my teacher had been great

Wish I could say that about my chinese class... it' SO boring and bad planed that It made me loathe the chinese culture <.<

And about those programs... humm your best shot would be afternoon classes, that's how I learned french. cause honestly I don't trust in those CDs or books or whatever, OK I give you that they can actually help, or even be more than enough, however they do requiere a lot of patience and and force of will on behalf of the user.

If you ever want to practice don't doubt in adding me to your messenger, (clic on the little icon below my post count). I would love to practice my english at the same time
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Truly, Lz, how similar is Spanish to Latin? Would you say it is the closest modern European language to the old tongue?
    If I become literate in Latin, will my learning of Spanish be easier - in comparison to learning French?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Euro Portuguese is, the most similar language to Latin, Spanish is as well, but not quite as much. We Portuguese understand Spanish people talking (I myself talk Spanish fluently, and am learning from a teacher who teaches to diplomats and other high prestigeous people), while they seem to have a difficulty understanding us speaking in Portuguese, for a reason which escapes me.

French and Spanish have both similarities with Latin, each its own similarities, but yeah Latin can give you a help in understanding Spanish, though you may not need it.
    BLARGH!

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I don't understand anything when someone speaks latin

And yes... sometimes is hard to understang portuguese guys, but not impossible. I have brazilian friends to whom I speak in english cause neither uf us really understand the other hehehehe.

I'm not sure if learning latin will help you with spanish or french
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Best language learning program?

NOBODY is impressed by a foreigner who speaks your language with a slang. EVERYBODY is impressed by a foreigner who speaks your language clearly, politely, flawlessly, and putting you to a gentle shame for your own more laid-back approach to your mother tongue.

Nevertheless you will acquire a little slang naturally due to your teacher's speaking. I speak Spanish with a really little Buenos Aires accent. But I try not to, and you really shouldn't care about any slang. Try to be perfect instead, in the process of trying to become perfect you will get the best out of you.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Well when I mean slang, I don't mean you want to say "I aint doin nothin about that" or something. I simply mean the perfect written German is excellent to learn, but is not always the fun type of language you will speak with friends. Just phrases etc. that you can't really learn from a book, but instead from only native speakers.

That was my point....

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Best language learning program?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    Well when I mean slang, I don't mean you want to say "I aint doin nothin about that" or something. I simply mean the perfect written German is excellent to learn, but is not always the fun type of language you will speak with friends. Just phrases etc. that you can't really learn from a book, but instead from only native speakers.

That was my point....
    Ah yes, you are right about that. But that comes naturally anyway, there is no need to aim for that.

Default Re: AW: Re: Best language learning program?

If you want what may better be referred to as a, 'dialect', (Dialekt in your case..), then simply learn from the appropriate community.
    I learned Deutsch from a born Wiener! Ha ha, but I prefer to speak properly most times - and so does he.

Almost every "A" is pronounced as an "O" in the Viennese dialect. Unless it has changed considerably since 1974.. But then Karl Moik certainly shows it well.. "Wenn ich mit meinem Dackel..".

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Re: Best language learning program?

Use Rosetta Stone, good program .

I am taking German this year, and it does help.