Thread: Lost Eagles

Default Lost Eagles

Hi

When the romans have eagles lost in battle we are informed that they have been sent to a specific city.

When however that particular city is captured by the romans there is no indication that the eagles have been re-taken. There is also no visible honour and prestige attached to the general who recovers them.

Do the eagles get moved from city to city or is it just that no emphasis has been placed on the capture of the lost eagles?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Lost Eagles

I'm not sure about EB, but in vanilla you had to kill the enemy general that stole the eagle to get it back.

Hi

Yes i am refering to EB. If it was not a consideration in EBI, i just thought it might be worth thinking about for EBII,

For to quote Tacitus, Annals, BookII :-

'At the close of the year was consecrated an arch near the temple of Saturn to commemorate the recovery of the standards lost with Varus, under the leadership of Germanicus.'

Don't mean to be akward just hope it helps in some way!!!

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Lost Eagles

You could actually lose and recover eagles?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Lost Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    You could actually lose and recover eagles?
    IIRC, yes. at least before 1.0-I haven't lost one since...
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Does this still works in EB? Sounds QUITE interesting
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Yes eagles were lost and re-captured and was seen as a great honour to re-take eagles from the enemies of Rome, to quote from 'The Deeds of The Divine Augustus, which was inscribed on his mausoleum:-

'I recoverered from Spain, Gaul, and Dalmatia the many military standards lost through other leaders'

'I compelled the Parthians to return to me the spoils and standards of three Roman armies'

'Furthermore i placed those standards in the sanctuary of the temple of Mars Ultor'

So the the lost Roman standards seem to been revered almost as religeous relics, that needed to be brought home.

I believe it was Marius around 107 BC who introduced the eagle to the legions, so the concept is in the time frame of EB.

i never realised this could be done, probably because i've never even been close to getting the marian reforms

anither reason why EB is the most awesome game i have ever played