Thread: Führerhauptquartier

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Führerhauptquartier

Lately I heard something about a Führerhauptquartier (head quarter), the Germans built at France during WW2.
    Can anybody gove me more info about this project?

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: Führerhauptquartier

It was located in Margival, France, and called the Wolfsschlucht II (Wolfsschlucht I was in Belgium). Construction was begun in 1942, though I do not know the completion date.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

On a side note, I know a German veteran from World War II who fought in a Grossdeutschland unit that guarded the Führerhauptquartier in East-Prussia. He gave me his photos of the barracks (which is rare considering it was forbidden to take pictures of the secret place).

As far as I know, it was the standard fare - a series of heavily fortified bunkers connected to a series of even more fortified bunkers, all surrounded with barbed wire and guard posts.

Hitler wanted a fortified headquarters from which he could personally command military operations on every potential front, and many of these bunker systems were built. The Wolfsshanze was by far the most utilized (over 800 days), but he did spend a bit of time in the one in France.

Here's an interesting map, and I would suggest creating a thread at Axis History Forums. There is surely someone there who can give you exact dates, blueprints, commanders, etc... there always is..

Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 12-23-2008 at 16:39.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Thank you very much to all of you! I had doubts about the existence of this head quarter, but now its clear that there is one.

I am looking for the cv of a man that worked there, for the SD. Has anybody a clou if there is an archive or something where I could get info about an SD-man?