Thread: POW's

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default POW's

Wonder how POW's will work this time around. The same way as always or you can keep them til the end of a war or use them in diplomatic negotiations
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Re: POW's

I was generally under the impression that POW's would (generally) be almost immediately traded back to the other side for other POW's, or simply sent back home in dishonor. This was the era of 'civilized warfare'. You know, things like the generals of the opposing sides having breakfast on the field prior to the battle, bringing their families along, and so forth.

That said, there were generally few prisoners in this era. Most people who were wounded were pretty much screwed, either losing a limb and becoming combat ineffective, or outright dying. It really didn't hurt the cause that much to just send people back.

IMO, though, the 'release, ransom, execute' system will be brought back. It's been around since Shogun, and it's worked fairly well.
    However, executing prisoners should have serious diplomatic repercussions. Like I said, 'civilized' warfare. You don't go around killing lots of unarmed (white) men who cant fight back. Unless they're pirates, rebels, pagan, jewish, or look at you funny.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

You know, things like the generals of the opposing sides having breakfast on the field prior to the battle, bringing their families along, and so forth.
    Then the 13 colonies had to use gurellia warfare and unethical battle tactics......

I'm sure it will be all civil till the revolts begin

Exclamation Re: POW's

Quote Originally Posted by Polemist
    I'm sure it will be all civil till the revolts begin
    We better start sharpening the guillotines.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    IMO, though, the 'release, ransom, execute' system will be brought back. It's been around since Shogun, and it's worked fairly well.
    [/nitpick]

Actually, it was only introduced in MTW. In Shogun, you didn't take prisoners.

[/nitpick]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    However, executing prisoners should have serious diplomatic repercussions. Like I said, 'civilized' warfare.
    Agreed. If the release/execute system returns, there had better be very serious consequences if you choose the latter.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone