Thread: Regimental Gun

Default Regimental Gun

Are regiments going to have their attachment of regimental guns that advances with their respect regiments?

This is such a crucial part of 1700's linear tactics that it shouldn't be left out of the game.

Thoughts?
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Re: Regimental Gun

Well, theoretically, one full stack would equal one regiment (~100 soldiers per unit average, twenty units to a stack, so around 2,000 soldiers. Regiments (generally) varied between one and four thousand men, depending on nation.), so it's pretty much up to you to include your regimental artillery. That's the great part about TW games.
    You get to make your own army.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Thumbs up Re: Regimental Gun

I always try to include a few pieces of light artillery in my M2TW armies.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Indeed. Nothing like a ballista bolt through the enemy general to ruin an armies day.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Exclamation Re: Regimental Gun

I was actually speaking of something more along the lines of a Serpentine, or that crazy Italian 32-barrell rapid-firing cannon (MG42, anyone?).

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I hope artillery speed is bumped up a bit this time and is only slowed by terrain. If not it is going in a fallow-on stack. Call it the trains!

There is just so much we just cannot know until we have the game in hand, and these are tactical issues.

How many cannon is optimal? Is counter battery an effective use or a waste of time? Basic game mechanics will play a part too.

I got the impression that almost everything in the theaters outside Europe will be a bit different than Europe proper. Cannon my be of a bit less importance in the deep woods of North America than in other areas…so do you drag cannon in there with limited fields of fire?

As to Regimental Guns, well we know that Total War has never had a unit table of organization. It is all mix and mach.

I wonder more on whether we can entrench and if we need sappers or pioneers to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    (MG42, anyone?).
    Naa, give me a ma duce....

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

CA has said units do not come with their own artillery. You include whatever cannon in your army that you wish.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Exclamation Re: Regimental Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    I hope artillery speed is bumped up a bit this time and is only slowed by terrain.
    I swear the artillery in video 4/5 was horse-drawn. It moved quite fast, anyways.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I swear the artillery in video 4/5 was horse-drawn. It moved quite fast, anyways.
    Some is sure to be! But that may be a tech you need and gun size is also an issue, especially if it is for a siege. Star Forts don’t you know…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I would like to see some artillery specifically designed to counter other artillery, thus making it necccesary to have a few of those even if you don't intend to do much bombarding yourself. Ideally though I would hope it is more or less essential to have at least a few pieces to support your force, otherwise armies just won't be varied enough.

I'm all for forcing the A.I to make balanced armies, even at the expense of historical accuracy sometimes.

As for horse drawn artillery. That is very definitely in the game (check out the Polish videos linked to in anotehr thread). Those same viedoes also made it look like the horses can be lost without losing the piece itself,and it seemed to show arty crews as much smaller then in Medieval 2.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------