Thread: Suggestion: Language Mod

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Default Suggestion: Language Mod

No,no! This is not an Hai voicemod idea or something like that. My idea is to translate EB into different languages, like Spanish, Dutch, French etc. So everyone can play EB in it's own language. I don't think it's so hard. What do you guys think?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Re: Suggestion: Language Mod

thats just a matter of translating the text files to the according language...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Personally I would hate to play EB in Dutch, I never play in Dutch even when I can chose Dutch. The translations and choice of words are always just so... wrong...

En ja, ik spreek Nederlands...

But to translate EB : just translate every text file. It's not hard, just a lot of work.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 12-27-2008 at 17:43.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

While it would be a long and tedious job, it doesn't require a lot of modding skill. However it will not always be easy to translate the the texts completely. There have been such fanprojects in the past for previous EB versions, though I can't recall wether they ever got finished.

Personally dutch myself, I wouldn't like to play a dutch EB.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

And I would like to play in spanish either hehehe. It doesn't seems... right hehehe
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

nee, dat is waar, ik zou het ook niet in nederlands spelen maarja

well, maybee not a good idea after all

I think there was a guy translating the mod into Portuguese, but I think that went quiet a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    I think there was a guy translating the mod into Portuguese, but I think that went quiet a long time ago.
    Yeah I remember that too. I believe there were two guys working on it, no? I think they might even have finished it for 0.7x or 0.8x.

I think that pre-battle speeches and stratmap voicemod addons would suffice, most people that like RTW to the point of playing EB will probably develop their rudimentary English skills enough. I did it when I knew nothing of it, by playing AOE long ago (good times).

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    by playing AOE long ago (good times).
    lol exactly the same here. Well in combo with TV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    No,no! This is not an Hai voicemod idea or something like that. My idea is to translate EB into different languages, like Spanish, Dutch, French etc. So everyone can play EB in it's own language. I don't think it's so hard. What do you guys think?
    There is a translation into portuguese in a brazillian community in Orkut, but i personally dont use it, the idea of changing EB into another language gives me the idea of CTD's so i wont take the chances.
    Ser mineiro é, antes de tudo, um estado de espírito.

El bien perdido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfhJy6JwPg
    A don Jose! Oriental en la vida e en la muerte tambien!

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

There is a partial translation into german on a german tw-site. It worked quite good with 1.1, for 1.2 I decided to play in english again (and don't know if the translation still works).
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Well, is not the fact that your favourite game is in English a wonderfull reason to learn English?

When I started learning English many years ago at the high school, playing games helped me a lot in developing my language skill. Therefore I recommend to anybody to avoid translations into their native languages - as stated earlier it usually just not sounds very well anyway, and to play it in original edition. It is a good combination of something pleasant and usefull at the same time.

And you get the advantage that whenever your parents or girlfriend or wife or boss tell you to stopl playing, you can reply: "Sorry, I am not just playing, I am learning English you know..."

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Well, is not the fact that your favourite game is in English a wonderfull reason to learn English?

When I started learning English many years ago at the high school, playing games helped me a lot in developing my language skill. Therefore I recommend to anybody to avoid translations into their native languages - as stated earlier it usually just not sounds very well anyway, and to play it in original edition. It is a good combination of something pleasant and usefull at the same time.

And you get the advantage that whenever your parents or girlfriend or wife or boss tell you to stopl playing, you can reply: "Sorry, I am not just playing, I am learning English you know..."
    Absolutely right. However, that might not be so good for someone who has very little knowledge in English. Learning is useful and interesting, but to a point. Someone with almost no English knowledge and taking no English classes or learning English him-/her- self will not need or appreciate English EB.

However, there are plenty of automatic game translators online. They are pretty accurate and can pick up context clues, not to mention that for the relatively few things they will not translate correctly, a human being could. This way, the computer does most of the work, with the human merely being the editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Absolutely right. However, that might not be so good for someone who has very little knowledge in English. Learning is useful and interesting, but to a point. Someone with almost no English knowledge and taking no English classes or learning English him-/her- self will not need or appreciate English EB.

However, there are plenty of automatic game translators online. They are pretty accurate and can pick up context clues, not to mention that for the relatively few things they will not translate correctly, a human being could. This way, the computer does most of the work, with the human merely being the editor.
    Almost true, I learned english from playing games ONLY. It's much better then english class.
    I could speak english at 6 years old. And I'm an from holland

Blog Entries

The problem occura when you play games that have been poorly tanslated from another language.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us anyone?

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    The problem occura when you play games that have been poorly tanslated from another language.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us anyone?
    My Age of Empires III was translated using an automatic russificator, me being a Russian, and it was perfectly fine except for few mistakes here and there. Very minor though. It really depends on what language you are translating to as well as the quality of the software.

Blog Entries

Cool. I plan to spend my gap year after Uni learning Russian and Japanese, and finishing up my German. How hard is it as a language to learn? (I can already transliterate Cyrillic into Latin)
    Last edited by Subotan; 01-01-2009 at 13:29.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Playing games, watching films, and visiting this forum is what keeps my english in shape... (or... as well as I can conserve it) since theres no chance whatsoever to practice it here...

(I guess things will get even uglier when I'll need to keep in shape both english AND french [while learning german or chineese...<.<])

Grr... I hope one day those languages will become useful... they aint cheap <.<
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Blog Entries

I want to learn Japanese, after my German has improved enough. *Savours idea of Shogun Barbarorum*