Thread: A dozen questions to EB

Default A dozen questions to EB

Happy holidays everyone.

A while ago I had finally some time free so I downloaded EB (1.2 – first version I know) and tried it.
    I must say I find it great. Many compliments to the team for making such a great mod. I will suggest it to any RTW player I know.

However I would have (not so few) questions about the mod. I suspect some had already been asked and am sorry should I be repeating them (I couldn’t find any answers on the forum).

Well here it goes:

1. Every time I load a save game and have a government type 4 in a settlement it gets 100% damage (I heard it has been scripted to do this to any governments of other factions in towns I had taken – but I built these type 4-s). Could this be a Bug?

2. I also read somewhere that if you build up a level 5 regional MIC (those that give AOR units) in a settlement and change the government from type 4 to another you will still be able to recruit all local units (I know this could count as “cheating”).
    Is this also possible in EB 1.2?

3. Does the government type influence what local units you can obtain in a province? – I mean if you don’t change the MIC at all just the government.

4. After the reforms occur (any kind of reform) you can get new units after upgrading the MIC in the cities. – Does this mean it isn’t a good Idea to build the highest level factional MIC in any city before those reforms?

5. I remember to have had an FM (Karthadast) as a governor in one of the nort african provinces with a trait like “unwilling governor” or something like that – it had many negative effects and the description sad he would “like to return to the city”. Does it mean he wishes to return to Kart – Hadast? (would be possible since he is a quarthadastei, but then what if the FM’s in Iberia start felling something like that??)

6. Can anyone suggest a “time” or situation when to switch a government to a better one (in case of Type 4 my plan is to wait until the “recruited” client ruler dies. For the others I have no idea)

7. With the 4 turn per year system about how long do Characters live?

8. I noticed that some units have spear as primary and sword as secondary weapons (I don’t mean just Phalangites) - how can you tell them witch to use? (It wouldn’t be pleasant to see mercenary hoplites switch to swords when fighting cavalry)

9. Will your characters get the trait “extravagant” or worse if your have more than 50.000 mma?

10. I know that the units Dosidataskeli (Vasci Armoured Shock Infantry) (for Lusotannan) and Dubosaverlacica (Ebherni Armoured Shock Infantry) (AOR unit in Hibernia - Ireland) have been removed in 1.2 (or atleast made unrecruiteable). What I wish to know is that are the Seleucids still capable to train Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou (Hellenic Elite Spearmen)?

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have a few answers.

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Default Re: A dozen questions to EB

Good questions are these, i'm interested in some answers as well.

These questions, i think i can answer for you:

8. I noticed that some units have spear as primary and sword as secondary weapons (I don’t mean just Phalangites) - how can you tell them witch to use? (It wouldn’t be pleasant to see mercenary hoplites switch to swords when fighting cavalry)

press the CTRL (or was it ALT? one of these 2) button, and click to attack, then they use the secondary weapon

They come at age by 16 and die between 50 and 70 or 75 (of course it depends on the traits, if he's sick he'll die earlier i think, and of course everyone can be killed by an assassin or die in battle).

4. After the reforms occur (any kind of reform) you can get new units after upgrading the MIC in the cities. – Does this mean it isn’t a good Idea to build the highest level factional MIC in any city before those reforms?

When for example the KH get their "Reforms", the trigger that allows them to recruit phalangitai, you don't have to build new MIC's. You have to when playing as the romanii when you get the polybian reforms, but I can't imagine that if you have 1 maximum leveled MIC you have to unlimber it and build new ones.
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 12-23-2008 at 18:47.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

2. afaik yes

3. no, just the availible MIC

4. iirc all factions with uniique reforms have to "upgrade" their MIC in order to get the units whereas one can still upgrade level 5 old to level 5 new, tho i don't think that the cost and construction time are lower if you already have the lvl 5 mic.

7. i think i once had a 80 year old tho i'm shure that's very rare.

8. it's ALT tho it does not wokr for all of them at least ome of them attack with a spar when attacking and fight with the sword when attacked(the charge is higher whith the spear, at least thats true for the sweboz BGs

9. it does not depend on your treasury but on their personal finances which are boosted when they loot a lot of cities or successfully govern a city.

10. yup, touth guys indeed.

that were not a dozen questions you have two more :P
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

#1 - don't load save games from other factions without first exiting the game and restarting. The scripts aren't totally shut down when you just exit a campaign and load another one. You can reload your own current campaign and the govt buildings shouldn't get damaged, but if you want to play as another faction you need to exit the whole game and restart it. If they are getting damaged still when reloading the same campaign, it hasn't been spotted before as far as I know and I don't know that we could do much about it anyway.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

5. You get that when you have a relatively high influence and management general stuck in a Large Town or smaller. So he feels like he is unappreciated because his abilities do not match his task. To fix this, either build something in a settlement, which is a temporary fix, or send him to a small city or larger, which is a permanent fix.

9. That actually depends on two things, on the contrary of what CA Putt said. First of all, yes you are right, once you pass that 50,000 threshold, you'll start getting more of those traits. However, that has comparatively little effect. What really gives them those traits, is what Ca Putt said actually: that they governa city. If they spend ten or more turns in a small city or larger, you can bet they'll get those traits, which will grow even worse the longer you stay in the city. You can even get those traits in a Large Town, but you'll have to spend forever sitting there - like one of my FMs, who spent 20 years in a Large Town before getting the sumptuous trait. The Wealthy trait is affected by whether your general enslaved cities or whether he stays in a small city or larger. Looting, however, does not affect open-handed, extravagant, or sumptuous traits..

10. The Seleukids get them because they were a huge empire, one that could afford the high cost of the TAB's armour & weapons, training, upkeep and etc. The Vasci and Ebherni were just a minor tribe who had a few of those units as chieftain's personal guard. The Syrians (Seleukids) could afford to keep 10,00 TABs at one point. So the EB team felt that the Vasci and Ebherni had too few of those units for them to be represented. You can still mod the availability of the units, which is what I have done. PM me if you want to know how.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 12-23-2008 at 20:31.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HunGeneral View Post
    I once had the wife of the first FL of the Casse live to, wait for it, One hundred and one. Yes, 101. I checked every turn from when she was about 92 onwards to see if she'd die, but she kept on going. She was actually alive before Megas Alexandros o.O

WB, Teleklos!

The age of characters is not tied to turns, but to in-game age. From 50+ there is a chance that characters will die that turn, and that will gradually increase.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thumbs up Re: A dozen questions to EB

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    The age of characters is not tied to turns, but to in-game age. From 50+ there is a chance that characters will die that turn, and that will gradually increase.
    But does that not increase the probability of a character's death in relation to years (not turns). For example, in a 2-turns-per-year script or something, a 50 year old character has to roll the dice only 20 times before reaching 60 years of age, whereas a character in a 4-turns-per-year script has to roll the dice twice that amount.

So, a character in EB generally lives somewhat shorter in relation to years than a character in RTW vanilla, but actually lives much longer in relation to turns (before 50, they get twice as many healthy turns to live than in RTW vanilla). This only applies to characters who die of old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    #1 - don't load save games from other factions without first exiting the game and restarting. The scripts aren't totally shut down when you just exit a campaign and load another one. You can reload your own current campaign and the govt buildings shouldn't get damaged, but if you want to play as another faction you need to exit the whole game and restart it. If they are getting damaged still when reloading the same campaign, it hasn't been spotted before as far as I know and I don't know that we could do much about it anyway.
    How this can affect my game ? it interfers with the march of time and the usage of the scripted events itself? and if i dont do this its possible to win a CTD for being lazy to re-enter? ó_ò
    Ser mineiro é, antes de tudo, um estado de espírito.

El bien perdido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfhJy6JwPg
    A don Jose! Oriental en la vida e en la muerte tambien!

You start with a compliment [1], then specify accurate and succinct technical details of your foray into EB. You then proceed to ask pertinent and detail-complete questions, while noting that you searched for the answer first.

Attention everybody: THIS is how you bring up issues with EB (be they technical, historical accuracy, gameplay or otherwise).

-Glee
    -------------------------------------
    [1] Not required, but always nice. Thanks!
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

King of Kings Member Ozymandias the Great's Avatar

During my KH campaign I had an FM in Byzantion live to 106. Go figure.
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" ~Ozymandias, by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Blog Entries

Woah. Discount my post, this is the new record.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

If you keep reloading the turn before a really old character dies, you can eventaully get him to roll over to 0.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Reincarnation?

oh, sorry my bad. well at least what i said was the more important factor^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth