Thread: Crippling the Seleucids?? A KH strategical question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crippling the Seleucids?? A KH strategical question.

Hi all,

The thing i feared most has happened. I got sucked into the swamp that's called Asia Minor

I'm holding Pergamon, Mytilene, Sardis, Nikaia, Halikarnassos and Ipsos is hotly disputed. At the moment i'm unable to defeat the Seleucids (the major power on the map) but on the other hand i'm very unwilling to give up my cities in Asia minor.

I know the key to Asia minor is Antiocheia but it's unreachable at the moment. A option would be a amphibious operation or should i just be patient and wear them out, making the area a burned wasteland??

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 12-24-2008 at 12:34.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Default Re: Crippling the Seleucids?? A KH strategical question.

I'm at exactly the same point at the moment. What other Settlements do you have? I own all of greece, makedonia and byzantion (there is an actual map in the 1.2 Faction Progression Thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=110336 ). These settlements give you loads on money (I'm playing on VH or H campaign difficulty, i don't remember which one). With that you can raise some great armies and start a campaign towards them. Thats what i intend to do, i'll report how it went, if you wish
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 12-24-2008 at 12:46.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Other settlements are: Syrakousai, Rhodos, Sparte, Athenai, Chalkis, Demetrias, Pella, Serdike, Tylis, Chersonesos, Pantikapaion and Byzantion.

Luckily i'm still at peace with the Epeirotes

Blog Entries

How did you get there in the first place?

Are Pontos/Hayasdan/Ptolemaioi still alive? Because if not, you're in trouble.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I know the East is tempting, I'm in a more or less similiar position as Makedonia in my current campaign. Wiht the onky difference that I can defeat the Seleukidai, of course, but that doesn't mean I have always been able to do so. You see, I used to be afraid of the Grey Death with their Argyraspides and Hetairoi, so I exploited AI weakness by raiding and pillaging he southern Anatolian coast as well as the Levant through amphibious assaults. If you do that and destroy their barrackses and generally any building that is destructible, soon the quality of their armies will drop drastically. Then, you can consider launching an offensive

Maion
    ~Maion

ah i've had a simmilar situation a while ago. I could fight them in numerous battles with a huge load of hoplites.

navy based raiding operations are extremely effective and i once managed to smuggel a FM(with a lot of mony ;) ) deep into enemy territory to take babylon and seleukeia. but to be honest my biggest ally was luck for at the exact right point of time Sinpe and trapezous(?) rebelled to ME and Ankyria to the arverni which terribly distracted the AS. this let me take everything along the coast and the extremely weak Ankyria(the seleukids conquered it) and i built up a stronghold arround antiochia and Tarsos.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

How i got there??

Well...

When I defeated the Macedonians in Europe i crossed over to Asia Minor to finish the job and captured the Macedonian settlements there.

Then Halikarnassos rebelled and...

By the way, the ptollies have been pushed to the south, Hayasdan is still around and i'm (also) at war with Pontos.
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 12-24-2008 at 14:01.