Thread: Ram CTD

Default Ram CTD

People, please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I find that I get a very common CTD when playing RTW.

When using a ram that has just punched through the wall, I click on the troops controlling the ram to get them ready to bust through on the poor hapless gauls/greek/insert random faction here and I get a CTD.

It only happens when I get a bit eager and try to redeploy the troops BEFORE they have dropped the ram. I see the little triangles showing where my troops will go (and a big triangle - being the ram) then a flicker and I am out of the game.

So,
    1. Is this a well known bug?
    2. Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance.

ED
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Default Re: Ram CTD

I'm not aware of a fix no. I've had this problem myself. In truth RTW is very buggy when it comes to sieges and siege equipment:

1) Ladders often get "crossed" and your men can't straighten them or drop them so the unit is useless.

2) Siege towers meet the wall at an angle sometimes intersecting with the wall.

3) Siege towers fail to lower the platform.

4) A single man get's stuck in a siege tower and so the rest of his unit is rendered useless.

There are more pathfinding issues in sieges mainly related to walls also.

Your only solution is to give the ram crew time to do their thing.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-04-2009 at 11:26.

Thank you for your help.

I must learn to be paticent in these sieges!!
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

For the rest of my points I have no real solutions. Ladders are best marched as straight as possible to their target and not interrupted en route. The only solution to towers is not to use them! Though they don't fail every single time, when they do they usually have one of your best units stuck in side... The pathfinding issues on the walls are almost impossible to avoid, but I've found that it's slightly more common with phalanx. If you ensure the unit is out of phalanx mode before they go up onto the walls it reduces the problem somewhat.

Last edited by caravel; 03-04-2009 at 20:27.