Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rome total war 2????

Default rome total war 2????

I came across this http://www.gameguru.in/pc/2007/28/ro...-on-the-anvil/ does anyone know anything about this? or i have been hybernating and just found out and everyone knows?
    thx
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

...George Patton

History repeats itself because CA wasnt listening the first time (or any other)

Default Re: rome total war 2????

Would be way better than Medieval II.

And better than EB II? lol
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

...George Patton

Phormion/Titvs WotB/BtSH Member YouHaveRecieved's Avatar

Meh, it's just the usual rumours. Nothing has been confirmed so don't get your hopes up. Saying that though, there is always a chance.
    Phormion Epiphaneion Armeniakon
    Strategos of the Arche Seleukeia.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs
    Tribvnus of the Roman Republic

I hope that they will fix most of the bugs BEFORE releasing the game.
    Last edited by khaos83_2000; 12-26-2008 at 09:47.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

I thought anvils weren't invented until the Middle Ages...?

Erm...but at any rate, like YouHaveRecieved said, you never know what might happen.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Also this article was written in 2007, and it doesn't mention Empire so they didn't know Empire was coming out by the looks of it. I believe Anvils were used in the bronze age way before Roman times but ancient Greeks and Egyptians have many sources stating they used them. How else did people make swords?

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

We can only hope that Rome TW 2 is going to be made. I think it would be bigger than M2TW. Obviously they're going to have to get done with ETW first however. :P Who knows, perhaps in the fullness of time.

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    We can only hope that Rome TW 2 is going to be made. I think it would be bigger than M2TW. Obviously they're going to have to get done with ETW first however. :P Who knows, perhaps in the fullness of time.
    I'd be suprised if CA didn't have plans for a future RTW2.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Then what idea would they go for without stepping over a recent mod? There are so many good mods and more that are coming out (EBII) that is difficut not to do the same and apparently CA rejected the idea of EBI before RTW was released. I think they are gonna do the same as always, patch for ETW and in the meantime campaigns for ETW and after that the 1900-1950 period where they introduce a new battle field..............air warfare.
    Last edited by neoiq5719; 12-29-2008 at 18:33.

...George Patton

No.

Think about the new Empire engine - its development time, cost, etc.

I think its safe to say CA will use the Empire engine again for the followup - either a new title or sequel to an existing one (Rome or Shogun, Medieval 2 is too recent for a sequel IMHO).

Good business.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

So what, so were the past engines as well but i´m not saying this is gonna happen tomorrow. From the moment they release the game is gonna take at least 6 months till the 1st patch shows up let alone if there is a second one (we are used to this stuff with CA). In all that time they will use that new engine for campaigns expansion pack like the one in kingdoms and while all this is going on they might be working on a new engine (let´s not forget that the expansion will go with the corresponding patch as well) to accomodate the air battles. This is been all planned out, engines dont show up overnight.
    Last edited by neoiq5719; 12-29-2008 at 20:14.

...George Patton

Yes, sorry if I misunderstood.

... I think 6 months for the first Patch is a mite much though - surely CA's learned from the MTW2 complaints!
    Last edited by Shieldmaiden; 12-29-2008 at 22:10.

- King Arthur, Excalibur

And the same thing happened to kingdoms so when the sun rises every morning you just accept that fact, dont you? lol same with CA. The BIG BIG surprise would be a flawless, bugless game but................. i´m afraid that´s far- fetch
    Last edited by neoiq5719; 12-29-2008 at 23:48.

...George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldmaiden View Post
    No.

Think about the new Empire engine - its development time, cost, etc.

I think its safe to say CA will use the Empire engine again for the followup - either a new title or sequel to an existing one (Rome or Shogun, Medieval 2 is too recent for a sequel IMHO).

Good business.
    I'd say that the "new engine" will be able to take full advantage of old style melee warfare as it would be stupid of CA to develop something that could not be re-used for different eras. I would imagine that the next TW game could well be R2TW or something along those lines. CA usually produce a stopgap title to keep fans interested while they are developing the next bing thing. STW, RTW and ETW are the main TW titles, anything in between, including expansions are the stopgap titles. I would say that R2TW is a very real possibility as the next TW game, as such a stopgap and that the game that follows that will be the "next big thing", possibly something else gunpowder based.
    Last edited by caravel; 12-29-2008 at 23:54.

RTWII, if ever they do decide to make it, will be much like MIITW and RTW, as in basically the same but using different time periods. In the idea of mods, I'd say only a handfull of people who buy the game are even members of forums, and even less people know about mods or even play them. People will see RTW II and buy it because they thought they first game was good.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

Quote Originally Posted by neoiq5719 View Post
    And the same thing happened to kingdoms so when the sun rises every morning you just accept that fact, dont you? lol same with CA. The BIG BIG surprise would be a flawless, bugless game but................. i´m afraid that´s far- fetch
    Be civil or don't post

I agree with Cynewulf about the most likely game post-Empire.

And YouHaveRecieved has a point. Mods aren't serious competition except in the .Org and a few other places. Though haven't EB and RTR been available via magazine coverdiscs, etc?

- King Arthur, Excalibur

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

[comment removed]
    No, being civil means respecting your fellow Orgahs.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-01-2009 at 19:48. Reason: Removal of potentially offensive quote
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

And not slagging off what other people say without a decent argument. Sheildmaiden, of course I am sure that CA know all about the top mods like RTR and EB. The thing is, they know the modders need a game to mod. so people are going to buy the game to mod it, or to play the mod ect. Which is basically what you said and I agree. Also you said that the next Total War game will likely be using the Empire's engine so it is easier to develop and thus get it out on time for big sales. I also agree but I don't think neoiq5719 got your point.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

Exclamation Re: rome total war 2????

It should include a world-wide map. Now that'd be awesome!

[comment removed]
    This is not a good attitude to take. You will not succeed in getting your argument across using such an approach. I would ask you to conduct yourself in a civil manner.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-01-2009 at 19:51. Reason: Removal of potentially offensive quote

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    It should include a world-wide map. Now that'd be awesome!
    I would not think so. A map of America? Could you imagine the Romans invading America or Australia. Hmm not very likely. I would like the map to stretch much further east, almost to India but not quite and have no hard coded limits.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

Post Re: rome total war 2????

Back to topic folks. neoiq5719's post has been dealt with.

Anyway, a Rome 2: Total War does sound like an interesting game - the Roman period, along with the Medieval one, certainly are the most fitting eras for such a game to go in, all having the levels of espionage, treason plot e.c.t to form a rich experience. Of course this is only if the designers do it right. If it were to use the Empire engine though, this could be a bit of a limitation - is it possible to turn a game engine from the 1700s into a game in the BC years. When Empire is released and it is possible to assess the quality of melee combat in a R:TW type scenario, we shall see how things could be if R2:TW were to become a reality.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

One thing that would be a huge bonus to using the ETW engine for another Rome game would be that we could finally fight sea battles. It would be a lot of fun to fight battles like Salamis, Actium, etc... on the sea, rather than auto-resolving them.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Yeah, though obviously taking control of ships rather than sinking them is your only option and I'm sure sometimes it will become a tad repetitive.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

Post Re: rome total war 2????

Quote Originally Posted by YouHaveRecieved View Post
    Yeah, though obviously taking control of ships rather than sinking them is your only option and I'm sure sometimes it will become a tad repetitive.
    If weather could be a factor, I'm not sure if it would be. Having to work around different winds, rain, fog and storms could actually get around this. Beyond that though, I do admit that the sea both looks and is the same everywhere. I suppose coastal battles could be more interesting though (using the geography of the coastline against your opponents). If coastal landing battles into ports were possible, this could also help avoid a certain level of monotony.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-03-2009 at 21:32.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    I suppose coastal battles could be more interesting though (using the geography of the coastline against your opponents).
    Two of the most famous ancient sea battles - Salamis and Actium - were heavily influenced by the coast, so I hope it would be that way. Something else that would be important is weather. Storms were known to destroy fleets of hundreds of ships. The one at Camarina during the 1st Punic War not only wiped out a Roman fleet, but may have killed upward to 100,000 men. It also quite possibly led the Romans to discard the use of the Corvus, due to how unstable it made ships equipped with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    If coastal landing battles into ports were possible, this could also help avoid a certain level of monotony.
    Now that would be fun! Not just against cities, but on the beaches, like Caesar's first expedition to Great Britain. It would be fun to bring your ships up to the water's edge, watch your troops leap over the side and into the surf, then clamber up out of the water and onto the sand. Or to be able to meet an invading force at the beach and throw them back into the sea. Maybe even capture some of their ships that had strayed too close to land.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 01-04-2009 at 03:59.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

I'm just imagining the scene from Troy the movie in your head as you say that. Building a massive fleet and completely wiping a massive city out.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs

Quote Originally Posted by khaos83_2000 View Post
    I hope that they will fix most of the bugs BEFORE releasing the game.
    so am i....

after all,will it be world war 2 :total war???
    i love to producing tanks myself and having own design of outlook and calling up the air strike for supporting ground troops like close combat 5 do!
    does the musketmen will have the dig in options,so they can fortify their defending ground...and so on.and so on....
    Last edited by guineawolf; 02-16-2009 at 11:04.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Memento mori... Member Nikos_Rouvelas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guineawolf View Post
    so am i....

after all,will it be world war 2 :total war???
    i love to producing tanks myself and having own design of outlook and calling up the air strike for supporting ground troops like close combat 5 do!
    does the musketmen will have the dig in options,so they can fortify their defending ground...and so on.and so on....
    I don't think World War 2 total war is possible. Battles in world war 2 didn't involve lining up on a field. They were very complex. I hope R2TW comes out next. I want Ancient Naval battles Damn it!
    "Once out of nature I shall never take
    My bodily form from any natural thing,
    But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
    Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
    To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
    Or set upon a golden bough to sing"
    "Sailing to Byzantium" William Butler Yeats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast