Thread: Scythed Chariots

Default Scythed Chariots

So how do scythed chariots work?

If the blades are (way, way) behind the horses and horses don't charge into close order formations, how are they supposed to cut up a formation in real life? Do they just circle in front of the formation or something?
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Default Re: Scythed Chariots

I believe the scythed chariots had their blades attached to the axis of the wheel, and the role was not to charge into close order formation. It was more to run through the formation, hoping that most infantry would step aside and then, haha, be caught by the blades.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Straight out scare factor, I'd imagine. A guy with spear on horseback coming at you is unnerving enough; some big rattling thing with blades sticking out all over the place, pulled by two armoured horses, coming at you full tilt ?
    A Whole Another Level.

Judging by the way Alex had his pikemen open passages in the ranks for the things to hurtle through without doing damage, I'd say he wasn't confident even his pikemen were going to keep their nerve and do the smart thing ie. hold rank (which stops horses cold; they plain refuse to run into solid big obstacles, like closely packed bodies of men standing firm)...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

don't they have blades in the front?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    don't they have blades in the front?
    I don't believe that the chariots had blades in the front. As Watchman and Jaerteken pointed out, the blades would be on the axis of the wheels, meaning that the true damage would be dealt to soldiers trying to dodge the chariots. It's the fear of being trampled by the hooves and horses that made people try to veer to the sides. Chariots shouldn't be thought of as lawnmowers that chewed people up. Think of them as snowplows that pushed people out of the way.....and killed them with whirling blades of death!
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Though, sticking something mean-looking and pointy to the horse yoke to make the whole thing look that much scarier to anyone it's bearing down on would hardly have been out of character for the general concept of the vehicle...

Terror weapon is terror weapon.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster