Thread: The AI conducting sound diplomacy. No, i'm serious... take a look.

Default The AI conducting sound diplomacy. No, i'm serious... take a look.

I have never, never ever ever seen the AI be so smart before in my whole 3 (or so) years of playing this game, and believe me i've played this game a lot.

I started a campaign as KH and migrated to Masillia. At some point the Seleukids conquered Halikarnassos. The population there obviously have something against the Seleukids because they revolted soon afterwards, to my faction. At first i was going to abandon it, but the public order there was surprisingly good, so i installed a type 4 government and a client ruler with what garrison i could afford.

Soon after i negotiated a ceasefire with Seleukia, who had declared war on me when the city revolted, and Makedonia, who i had been at war with from the start, so that i could trade with the two factions from that city and Halikarnassos could pay for its own upkeep.

Less than 1 year later, the Seleukids have this to say.

Something special just happened. The AI made a sound, realistic demand, and a threat at the same time.

Just a quick update... I refused, they asked again 2 turns later, i refused again, they have laid siege to the city. They mean business too, Galation wild men in the stack, the works.

It's going to be one of those rare times when i actually lose a city. All i have to defend with is 3 units of levy hoplites, 1 akontistai and a green general with no command stars or morale uppers.
    Last edited by Dayve; 12-26-2008 at 12:23.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Default Re: The AI conducting sound diplomacy. No, i'm serious... take a look.

Well, the AI has it's bright moments. It's just the fact that they are quite rare that makes us gaze in amazement with such seemingly im pressive (for RTW standards) AI feats.

Maion
    ~Maion

I was recently utterly shocked by the AI too. I was playing a migration campaign as Pergamon with Epeiros, and I had already conquered Mytilene and Nikaia. Soon the Seleukids declared war on me by besieging Pergamon. I took my main army (in Nikaia at the time) and lifted the seige, and then went south and besieged the tiny garisson at Sardis. Though I was almost positive they would decline, I offered the Seleukids a ceasefire in exchange for Sardis, and they accepted!

Nice. It's nice when stuff like this happens. We're so used to the AI being completely stupid, one good move here and there is like... i don't know how to explain it, it makes you want to keep playing!

An update on the Halikarnassos situation... The Seleukids have taken the city 7 times, and 7 times it has revolted back to me. I'm currently shipping an army over.

Why would the intelligent Seleukid ruler allow the city to revolt 7 times. Sounds like a trap to me.
    Last edited by team_kramnik; 12-26-2008 at 15:54.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

I think its like in robin hood : men in thights when blinken catches the crosbow bolt
    one spark of genius and then its gone again

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbelgian View Post
    I think its like in robin hood : men in thights when blinken catches the crosbow bolt
    one spark of genius and then its gone again
    Huh?

OP, why are you marked as 'Troll'?

I had a quote in my signature for around a year, something from Family Guy. It was "Sex with fat chicks is awesome, everything you grab feels like a boob!".

Some enthusiastic new moderator decided it was inappropriate and took up a crusade against me, despite the fact that there were several other people at the time with much, much, much more inappropriate things in their signatures than what i had.

I got into a few arguments with that particular moderator, told him exactly what i thought about him, and got banned, after which several people on the forum labeled me a troll.

Not the EB forum, it was in another section a long time ago.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trek View Post
    Huh?
    if you have never seen the movie its hard to understand
    blinken is a blind guy and during the entire movie he walks against everything and mistakes himself where people stand even if they are talking
    butt at a tournament when an assasin shoots a crosbowbolt at robin he catches it inmidiatly with the words: "I heard that coming from miles ago"

its not so funny when you read it like this butt if you see the movie its really funny

Realistic AI diplomacy? Well, I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day...
    One balloon for not being Roman

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

well it's more an threath than diplomacy y'know
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46