Thread: Seljuk Experience?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Seljuk Experience?

I have begun my early Turk campaign - XL TYB 2.0, and it is now 1109AD.

I believe I will use this campaign for an AAR - I wiped out the Byzantines by 1108!
    The Turcoman Horse has just become my favourite unit! I never thought I would lose interest in the Andalucian cavalry, ha ha!

From the beginning I mustered what troops I could to destroy Kilikian-Armenia, and then created armies in the uniform of;

2 Royal Ghulams
    8 Turcoman Horse
    3 Armenian Cavalry
    3 Camels

Obviously, the Turcomen engage in a great skirmish and flank or surround the enemy at every opportunity - most valuably, they can destroy most light and medium infantry without casualties in many cases - and even heavy infantry once they are exhausted in melee.
    Of course, when there are too many units of heavy swords, or Kontarioi.. Or Kataphraktoi.. then Turkish Heavy Cavalry is required.

The Armenians and Ghulams will engage and destroy exhausted, stubborn heavy infantry.

The Camels... Oh beautiful creatures! They surround and destroy even the 7 valour Kataphraktoi units - the Emperor himself!
    I had a counter for every Byzantine unit in my army.

The Fatimid Arabs will be slaughtered within ten years.
    Truly, they have 8000 men on my borders.. Urban Militia and Nubian spearmen to a man.
    They will be sorely missed.

The Seljuks were considered a difficult faction - does the difficulty arrive later - with crusades and consequent stress on loyalty and economy in later years, when you are the sole eastern power?

Although I am worried for Byzantium reappearing if I do not take Bulgaria and Greece quickly enough, and cautious of a Serbian invasion.. Well, I see nothing to keep me from creating an early Ottoman empire..

Oh. I just remembered the Mongols.

I shall think of something when the time comes.

What are the true dangers of playing the Seljuks that I should be wary of?

I play on Hard.
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 12-29-2008 at 01:21.