Thread: Liberating the Motherland and kicked out? A Kardhastim Questions...

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Liberating the Motherland and kicked out? A Kardhastim Questions...

In EB Kardhastim can built type 1 Gov in Tsidon (their motherland of course...) but why when I play as kardhastim (already conquered all iberians and kick Lusotans off), I try to send 1 stack of full of high end warriors in ships directly to Tsidon, conquering the city from the Ptolemies, build the first type goverment here, and ended kicked out of this city when the developing is still in process (rebelled to Eleutheroi!!!)... Just curious, how to build type 1 gov, safely in Tsidon?

I'll bet the Carthies will be glad to meet the Phoenicians, and treat their relatives kindly, but why the phoenicians kick their butt out of their ancestral cities? Tax = normal, and I have half stack as garrison when they riotted and kick out my armies... (I didn't enslave them... who will enslave their own relatives?)

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Default Re: Liberating the Motherland and kicked out? A Kardhastim Questions...

guess it isn't in teh script! And so...Would you be happy if your uncle you never knew conquers your house and start asking tax?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

THATS why...you DIDN'T enslave them..thats why...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Well, the further a city is away from your capital, the less likely they are to be happy as a part of your empire.

Could be a spy in the city causing unrest too. Move your capital a little bit closer to the city, just temporarily until you get a government set up, then move it back. Also, keep a spy in the city. It helps to protect against mischief.

Use a type IV and appoint a local puppet instead. Then you can act as the "liberator" of Phoenicia.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Use the "expel" option. You can RP that as you are sending the Greeks, Syrians, Persians and Galatians packing. It's like a Phoenicia for Phoenicians movement . Ancient rulers practiced mass deportation pretty regularly when conquering areas of differing ethnicity or a high percentage of troublemakers among the populace. Expelling removes a good # of people, and doesn't give you bad traits (at least I've never gotten them, all I've gotten was cool '_____ slave' ancillaries"

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

and don't forget the looting and wealthy traits

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Liberating the Motherland and kicked out? A Kardhastim Questions...

You say you are liberating them, but they may think it's just a change of regime. After all, instead of taking orders of Greeks, they now have to take orders from some the Colonials. There probably is a reason they sent that lot of Africa all those years ago.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    You say you are liberating them, but they may think it's just a change of regime. After all, instead of taking orders of Greeks, they now have to take orders from some the Colonials. There probably is a reason they sent that lot of Africa all those years ago.
    Exactly. Don't forget the region had a heavy Hellenic influence at that time, plus the Carthaginians had a different mind than the Phoenicians in their homeland.

Maion
    ~Maion

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Well, I finally reconquers my ancestral home and expel all the greeks out

@Maion
    Well, after some thinking, I think that that's why they are in africa... so is it true? carthage starts as Phoenician exile/prison colony as Australia was once British's prison island?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

AFAIK the Carthies were on pretty good terms with their mother city though. (A bunch of Carth pilgrims were stuck inside when Alexander laid siege to the place, for example.) Wasn't apparently too unusual for the Phoenician cities and their outliers.

'Course, that doesn't mean either would have been very happy about it if the other party shipped in an army and started throwing its weight around...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

mmh no I don't think so
    Alexandros decided to assault tyre rather then besieging it because tyre had sent for help to Carthage
    so there has to be some kind of friendly relations between the city's

Member Member Gatalos de Sauromatae's Avatar

Yeah!
    At the time of Alexandros the relation may be friendly but in the EB time frame thing would change.
    IMHO you must remember that ppl in Carthage have the mind of empire by force rather than empire by commenrce of their homeland.This is right?
    Drunken chieftan said: Where the hell are those stupid horsemen of mine?
    One of horsemen replied: We are all here, sir! However, you can't see us because you were fallen from your horse, sir.

I would agree Carthage was a very unusual phoenician city. There is the saying the first time a punic city raised an army was when greeks of Sicily invaded the phoenician part of the island and Carthage came to the rescue. Phoenician's were more used to just pay tribute than fight bloody landwars. Of course there is also the theory they hired the Sea-People to wipe out the Hittites.
    IIRC Tyre was sacked by Alexander because they refused to allow him to sacrifice in their temple. So they seemed to expect to be mostly left alone from their rulers. And Cute Wolf, am I right everything around Sidon is in the hands of hostile hellenic powers? Now that's bad for buisness. No wonder they hate you. You probably created a major economical crisis in the Levant.
    Carthage wasn't loved that much by the western cities either. During the Truceless War Carthage rescued Utica and Hippacritae from a siege of revolting ex-soldiers just to have these cities to also start a revolt. It seems to me many Phoenician cities in the western med viewed that empire as purely Carthage's and wanted nothing to do with it.

Anyway in the ancient world a revolt or two doesn't mean much. No need to burn the place down. Unless your playing Romani of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post
    Use the "expel" option. You can RP that as you are sending the Greeks, Syrians, Persians and Galatians packing. It's like a Phoenicia for Phoenicians movement . Ancient rulers practiced mass deportation pretty regularly when conquering areas of differing ethnicity or a high percentage of troublemakers among the populace. Expelling removes a good # of people, and doesn't give you bad traits (at least I've never gotten them, all I've gotten was cool '_____ slave' ancillaries"
    Edit: I'm a bit surprised by that statement. Of course the Romans used any excuse to fill their slave market. But I don't think they moved troublesome populations somewhere else. And the Diadochi brought in Hellene settlers in the east and the Sweboz Germanic ones to Gaul. But here the objectiv was to bring in loyal soldiers although of course some nativs might have been forced leave the province as they lost their property.
    I can't think of single example which would correspond to EB's 2nd option. Of course I don't object to having that option. If the Macedoniens would have resettled the population of Athens to Dardania or Carhage send the people of Utiqua to Numida their empires might have lasted longer. But that wouldn't have been a expected thing to do (especially from Carthage). Atleast as far as I know.

Edit2: If you want to able to raise some military there backup export_descr_buildings.txt in \Rome - Total War\EB\Data. Then open it it in Notepad or something similar. Search for Barracks_L and add the following lines to the capabilities of the barracks.

muster_field & militia_barracks:

recruit "carthaginian infantry mishteret izrahim feenikim" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8

city_barracks & army_barracks:

recruit "carthaginian infantry mishteret izrahim feenikim" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8
    recruit "carthaginian cavalry ezrahim parashim feeniki" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8

royal_barracks:
    recruit "carthaginian infantry dorkim kdoshim" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8
    recruit "carthaginian cavalry haabbirim haqdosim abbirim" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8
    recruit "carthaginian cavalry ezrahim parashim feeniki" 0 requires factions { egypt, } and hidden_resource EA and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource n4 and hidden_resource n8
    Last edited by team_kramnik; 12-19-2008 at 19:23.

team_kramnik,
    my statement about the use of mass deportation among ancient rulers applies more to older Eastern cultures than it does to Greeks/Makedones. IIRC, the Hellenistic, Celtic, and Germanic peoples were rather the exception to that rule. The Babylonians practiced it (the exile of the Jews to Babylon), I think the Assyrians and Egyptians also used this option. AFAIK It wasn't really standard practice until after a major rebellion occurred or *non-standard military resistance (guerilla warfare and the like) was particularly stiff.

* having trouble finding the right words for this concept

Partisan may be what you were looking for.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Yes, Bovi, that's it, thanks (I think I posted that after many beers ).

Quote Originally Posted by team_kramnik View Post
    ... Phoenician's were more used to just pay tribute than fight bloody landwars. Of course there is also the theory they hired the Sea-People to wipe out the Hittites...
    Heh, if that's true, the Phoenicians and the rest of the Near East got a lot more than they bargained for. The Sea People ate everyone's lunch, and the Levant was one of the worst ravaged areas.

As for mass deportation, I know the Hittites were huge fans of it. Every time they conquered a place they'd take deportees and send them across the empire. One time they sent a whole bunch from Syria to their capital Hattusa and a plague broke out. Almost everyone was wiped out, and then had to import Luwians from the western provinces. The theory is that almost no one spoke Hittite on the streets of Hattusa by 1300 BC.

Of course the Romans and later the Byzantines loved shipping people around too, but I think they mostly shipped allied soldiers to garrison the borders. I don't know if they practiced wholesale civilian, as opposed to military, deportation and resettling.

Blog Entries

The Incas did that too. (Even though that's hardly relevant for our mod)