Thread: Using FD to force Rome into submission without wiping them out, but when?

Default Using FD to force Rome into submission without wiping them out, but when?

I'm playing as the Epeirotes (yes, i started another campaign, i do it every day basically) and i've been at war with them since the very first turn.

I had no real desire to conquer anything on the Italian peninsula other than Rhegion, but Rome just wouldn't accept peace and leave my land alone and so one thing led to another and i've defeated around 8 full stacks of Roman soldiers killed all their starting family members that had biographies in their trait list and taken Arpi and Capua.

I don't want to conquer the city of Rome itself, i would like to leave them with that and let them expand northwards while at peace with me, but for the sake of roleplaying what do you think i would realistically need to do before forcing them to become a protectorate?

I know Rome would never bow down and admit defeat unless something really, really catastrophic was done to them.

So, my ideas. Tell me what you think.

Conquer Rome, enslave the people, destroy the wonders, then give it back in exchange for protectorate, using the force diplomacy mod.

OR

Conquer what territory they have north of Rome, including Ariminium and Arretium, hand them to the Aedui, THEN force a protectorate when they have only Rome left.

Don't tell me to just destroy them because it's not what i want to do.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Default Re: Using FD to force Rome into submission without wiping them out, but when?

I would try to (1.) kill-off all their armies outside their cities (so thatthe AI will not have any forces targeted against you in the end), (2.) make sure that they are bordering with Aedui and are at war with them, (3.) establish strongly garrisoned forts on the approaches to your cities in Italy, (4.) force alliance* and trade rights on them, (4.) give them regular tribute like 500 mnai for 20-40 turns (renew if it runs out), (6.) pray for the best that he dumb AI will not attack you when they now will have no reason to do so. (7.) If you see a roman army still heding towards you, use console to move it to the north, for exmple near Mediolanum.

It might work, but nothing is guaranteed...

-----------
    * Try to avoid protectorates in EB: it does not prevent AI to attack you after all and it may give you large ammounts of free money each turn (because of the money script) which spoils the fun.
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 12-28-2008 at 13:01.

Default Re: Using FD to force Rome into submission without wiping them out, but when?

Hmm, that was strange.

An opportunity opened up to take Rome. As i was passing by i was attacked by a 2-unit army, and the family member in Rome came out to assist. I killed them all and the city became mine. I enslaved, destroyed everything worth destroying and gave it back on condition of protectorate.

They attacked me the very next turn.

I thought once you made a faction your protectorate they couldn't attack you? I'm sure i remember getting protectors in vanilla and they never attacked after that.

The only time I use the protectorate option is if they are also at war with one of my allies (and I don't get the alliance option). I usually force the protectorate so they get cease fires with my allies, make a small attack (making sure not to really hurt them), lift the siege or blockade I attacked with, FD cease fire & trade rights, reset and FD alliance, all in the same turn if possible, if not I do it next turn (I check and make sure thay can't just re-declare war with my allies. If for some reason I have to keep a protectorate for more than one turn, I make sure to give any outrageous sums of money I gain back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    ... (7.) If you see a roman army still heding towards you, use console to move it to the north, for exmple near Mediolanum.
    Erm ... Marvin, could you tell me please how does this console-thing works? In details please, if possible

Ongoing campaigns:
    XGM: Seleucid Empire.
    Finished Campaigns:
    Vanilla RTW: Brutii (short).
    Failed:
    Not yet fortunately!

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Romans never surrender! Romans can't be forced into submission! Romans wil fight you, and Romans will triumph!

No really, as you say, something really bad must happen before they accept defeat. Just on a note though, that if you raze Rome then it is very possible that their intricate system of alliances will completely collapse, or that some other city will move in and take over it. So early in the game as you are the people of Italy had yet to become fully "Latinized".
    I'd say that if you defeat all their allies (say take the rest of the cities), defeat all their armies and camp outside of Roma with a big army, it's okay to force a protectorate upon them.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

@ Anakuj: (1.)To open/close the console just press the "~" button (it is usually between TAB and ESC on your keyboard)
    (2.) To dermine the coordinates of the place where you want to move the army to, type: "show_cursorstat" and hit ENTER
    (3.) To actually move the army type: "move_character [name] [x,y]" As [x,y] use the coordinates gained at step (2.). Never try to teleport them directly into a city but outside! Name could be a little tricky: for captan-led armies just type what appears when you put the cursor above it, for example "move_character "Captain Caivs" 45,83".
    For general-led armies with names like "Appivs Cornelivs Scipio" you will have to experiment a bit and try strange names like "Appivs Romanvs", "AppivsA Romanvs", "AppivsB Romanvs", etc. See this and that threats for more details on this rather arcane stuff.

Use the console wisely and have a good luck!

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Good to hear you are crushing those filthy Romaioi barbaroi I would go with sacking Roma, destroying all destroyable buildings (instead of the wonders, as a rightful Hellen shouldn't) and enslave/exterminate the population (not very Hellenic, but a good tool of war anyways. Hell, Megas Alexandros deployed it frequently himself!). Then FD them to accept peace and/or any other treaties.

Have fun sacking Roma (if you choose to do so),
    Maion
    ~Maion

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

YES, SACK ROMA!!!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    @ Anakuj: (1.)To open/close the console just press the "~" button (it is usually between TAB and ESC on your keyboard)
    (2.) To dermine the coordinates of the place where you want to move the army to, type: "show_cursorstat" and hit ENTER
    (3.) To actually move the army type: "move_character [name] [x,y]" As [x,y] use the coordinates gained at step (2.). Never try to teleport them directly into a city but outside! Name could be a little tricky: for captan-led armies just type what appears when you put the cursor above it, for example "move_character "Captain Caivs" 45,83".
    For general-led armies with names like "Appivs Cornelivs Scipio" you will have to experiment a bit and try strange names like "Appivs Romanvs", "AppivsA Romanvs", "AppivsB Romanvs", etc. See this and that threats for more details on this rather arcane stuff.

Use the console wisely and have a good luck!

Ah, what a quick & detailed description! Best for beginners, like me! Really Thank You, V.T. Marvin!

Ongoing campaigns:
    XGM: Seleucid Empire.
    Finished Campaigns:
    Vanilla RTW: Brutii (short).
    Failed:
    Not yet fortunately!

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

When dealing with Roma
    As any other faction
    Listen to your inner barbarian
    For he will reveal to you
    The rightful course of action

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    When dealing with Roma
    As any other faction

That, sir, was wonderful. Here, a balloon for you:

Maion
    ~Maion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    When dealing with Roma
    As any other faction

I feel like doing a jig.

Well, they just wouldn't accept defeat. Rome was captured once and exterminated, a protectorate was forced, they declared war soon after.

Rome was taken again and enslaved, Arretium and Ariminum were taken and enslaved, and they are left with Bononia.

It's fun watching Cornelius Blasio lead armies of Lugoae and Gaeroas. Apparently he's a member of the senate. I wonder where in Bononia they built the new senate house.