Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Default Frequently Asked Questions

During the 17th Century North America was still an untamed land, with beautiful rugged landscapes, primal forests and a bounty of natural resources. The colonial powers fought for what was not rightfully theirs, and the Native American tribes were forced to choose alliances or attempt a difficult resistance.

FAQ (work in progress)

Please post any other questions you want answered in this thread.

What version of Medieval 2 is ‘The Frontier’ for?
    Kingdoms 1.3 and 1.4
    What is the time period for ‘The Frontier’, and why was it chosen?
    We have chosen 1655 as a starting date, whereby England and France are well established on the continent, but many native american tribes are still quite powerful. It will end in 1774, as colony uprisings (such as the American revolution) would require a huge amount of extra material and are not the focus of this modification. There will be 4 turns per year, resulting in a total of 476 turns.

Do you have a finalised faction list?
    Factions are still work in progress and obviously we reserve the right to change it at any point in development, if we see a good reason to do so.

European: England, France, Spain, The Netherlands
    Eastern Woodland: Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, Iroquois, Mohican, Shawnee, Sauk & Fox, and the Wabanaki Confederacy.
    Plains Tribes: Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, Osage, Pawnee, and Sioux.
    Canadian and Subarctic: Cree, Montagnais, and the Three Fires Confederacy.
    The Southwest: Apache, Navajo, and Pueblo.
    MesoAmerica and the Caribbean: Carib, Miskito, and Maya.

What is the extent of the campaign map?
    From the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, from the Labrador Peninsula to the Guyana Highlands.Check out the Map preview for screenshots.

What is your stance on historical accuracy?
    The Frontier will be as historically accurate as possible, without going so far as negatively affecting the gameplay. A similar mindset to ‘Europa barbarorum’, or ‘Rome: Total Realism’.

Can you describe ways that Native Americans will be realistically represented?
    Obviously there are limits to the engine, so certain ahistorical features will have to remain, such as having a capital City.

Along with the usual buildings, we will incorporate ‘traditions’ in the construction menu. These do not cost money but take a long time to establish in a province. Currently they are split into three categories- hunting, agriculture and fishing. Which categories your faction can invest time in depends on their culture group, so you won’t see native americans of the Great Plains with fishing traditions.

‘The Big Hunt’ is an example of a tradition, and will work like the Races or Games in RTW (it can take place yearly, monthly or weekly). Depending how frequently, it will give bonuses to public health and happiness. Another would be ‘tobacco cultivation’, giving happiness and trade, but negatively affecting public health.

The native american units will be small, cheap, and have an appropriately low armour rating. The benefits are a speed, a high melee attack, the ‘hide in tall grass’ trait, and terrain bonuses. We are also working on the possibility that they begin in ambush positions every time they attack an enemy army.

What about the Aztecs/Incas?
    Both had been effectively destroyed in the previous century.

Weren't the Mayans destroyed as well?

Almost, two independant settlement remained until 1697 (Itza polity of Tayasal and the Ko'woj city of Zacpeten).

Will the Russians be included?

No, they will not. Russian settlement in Alaska is off the map and did not, at any rate, begin until 1784, ten years after the mod's end.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Sorry, I had intended to post up a lot more today, but life threw me a curve ball. Will definitely update tomorrow. Welcome to the new forums!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Smile Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Were there any mesoamerican tribes that were powerful enough to be included in this mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Yes, the Miskito were never conquered by the Spaniards and the Maya were still around at the start date of the mod. So there's two good Mesoamerican factions for you. Thanks for your interest.

Will you make anymore interactive killing animations, like ones for bayonets?
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lenin96 View Post
    Will you make anymore interactive killing animations, like ones for bayonets?
    Good question--it will depend on recruiting people with those abilities, but we definitely do need a new animation for bayonets, you're right. Thanks for your interest and if you know anyone with these abilities, send him my way.

I'm not sure if this has been answered: Are natives going to be able to take technology from the Europeans like guns and maybe cannons?

Quote Originally Posted by lenin96 View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been answered: Are natives going to be able to take technology from the Europeans like guns and maybe cannons?
    Many of the Indian tribes featured already had firearms by game start. We're working on the complex interrelationship between gunpowder and trade at the moment, so it will be represented as historically as possible. As for cannons, no, I'm sorry--the Indians never historically used them, so they won't appear for their side.

Is there going to be an AOR?

Unit rosters have not yet been fully fleshed out, so that's still in the future, but this is definitely something we're shooting for.

Default Re: SKF

Will you keep the "whole screen shaking each time a musket is fired" effect? Or is that hardcoded?

Default Re: SKF

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Will you keep the "whole screen shaking each time a musket is fired" effect? Or is that hardcoded?
    We've not yet examined that, but rest assured we will keep it in mind.

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Random Fact: I believe the russian settlement in alaska is called Sitka
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii