Thread: Computer AI dilemma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Computer AI dilemma

Is there any way to make the computer in the battle less imbecile?
    I dont know,a mod of some kind?
    Thanks.
    naked fanatic

Default Re: Computer AI dilemma

There's a battle formation mod in the mod pack compilation for EB 1.2. You'll find it in the unofficial modding section of this forum.

Basically it makes the AI use formations, march in formation and engage in formation. They will also attempt to send skirmishers to attack your flanks, and other units to engage your flanks when the lines have met.

It's far from perfect, and in some instances it even makes the AI behave worse. When using phalanxes, for example. If your main line consists of phalanx troops, the AI will slowly march their front line toward you and engage your line, and will be slowly but surely demolished man by man. They will send one or two units to engage your flanks in the process, but they are easily seen off, and they still suicide-charge with their generals and family members.

It also forces most AI units into guard mode, including cavalry, so once they engage they from crazy lines. Line your line, which will stretch across from left to right, once they engage their unit will form up from top to bottom, so your main line is engaging their flank. They're outflanking themselves for you!

However, this is the best you're going to get from the RTW AI. The AI is stupid, and that can't be changed. It can be tweaked, so that they are forced to keep formation, but you're simply re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The thing is still going to sink, it will just go down neat and tidy looking.

thanks mate
    naked fanatic

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    There's a battle formation mod in the mod pack compilation for EB 1.2. You'll find it in the unofficial modding section of this forum.
    Is that the Darth Mod? If it is not, I would recommend getting that. alex.exe (as well as bi) significantly improves the AI as well, so if you have any of the two, you can switch to it. Do you have the expansions?

Aemilius sir i have barbarian invasion and alexander expansions but:
    barbarian invasion isnt working with the 1.2 patch (i used ferromancers patch that is designed for 1.1,some said it works,well for me it didnt)
    As for alex,i simply dont know how to install it?
    Maybe you can help me out that would be great
    I know the expansions make the ai slightly better :D
    naked fanatic

Here is the official Alexander EB Thread

Also, you can PM my good friend Lz3 for any help - he'll be glad to assist you.

Oh, and this is the 1.2 modpack, in case you haven't found it yet. It does have Darth Vader's stuff in it, so you'll be guaranteed to get the best AI possible. However, if I were you, I would not install absolutely everything, especially that city mod, no offense to MAA. I think it is a bit pointless, since EB is alternate history. True, some places, like towns in deserts that do not have an access to sea cannot grow beyond a certain size, but all other cities should, if any changes were made to history, which is what happens in EB, since you are creating alternate history there. Also, the phalanx mod is slightly questionable, since it resembles the old vanilla phalanx at times, such as when it is walking. I still think it is great though, especially how it fights, which is absolutely stupendous in comparison to vanilla RTW and vanilla EB.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 12-30-2008 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Here is the official Alexander EB Thread

Also, you can PM my good friend Lz3 for any help - he'll be glad to assist you.

Oh, and this is the [URL="https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105242"]However, if I were you, I would not install absolutely everything, especially that city mod, no offense to MAA. I think it is a bit pointless, since EB is alternate history. True, some places, like towns in deserts that do not have an access to sea cannot grow beyond a certain size, but all other cities should, if any changes were made to history, which is what happens in EB, since you are creating alternate history there.
    I love the City Mod and wouldn't play without it, now.

EB is alternate history, but more alternate military history than alternate social and economic history.

Just because it's alternate history doesn't mean, IMO, that there should be a population explosion throughout the known world, which is what happens without the City Mod.

It is tough for the barbarian factions particularly as they have very few settlements larger than a large town with the City Mod activated, but historically the barbarians did have a very tough time - they only got it together in the 4th and 5th centuries AD, long after the EB timeline ends.

The City Mod suits people who want to play a very slow-paced, historically-accurate game.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Computer AI dilemma

alex.exe (as well as bi) significantly improves the AI as well, so if you have any of the two, you can switch to it.
    I haven't tried alex.exe yet (I really should, I know), but I did not see any improvement in A.I. when playing with BI.exe. The strategic A.I. was capable of naval invasions in BI, but generally uses this to carry out stupid/annoying naval invasions.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I always thought that AI flanking movements were a unique AI feature in alex.exe. Why don't you try Alexander yourself?

i guess Lz3 is enjoying his holidays :D
    i wrote him a pm before i started this thread regarding alex.exe
    Maksimus also
    naked fanatic

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Computer AI dilemma

I always thought that AI flanking movements were a unique AI feature in alex.exe. Why don't you try Alexander yourself?
    They are not unique to alex.exe, although it may well be true that the computer attempts them more often. I've played only a few battles on the original Alex expansion, but I recall that the A.I. did attempt to flank me in each of those.

The reason I haven't tried alex.exe is that I don't have that much time to play EB (especially since it takes 20 minutes to load on my computer), so I've only started about three unfinished campaigns since the release of 1.1. I've also been disappointed too often by fanboy claims of "improved AI" to believe that a mod or expansion will make the A.I. competitive. If an EB team member said it worked, I would try it at once, but I don't recall them doing so.
    Last edited by Ludens; 01-01-2009 at 19:11.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!