Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 70

Thread: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

  1. #1
    German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where Columbus condemned the natives
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    http://www.economist.com/world/europ...ry_id=12868180

    Found this interesting. Not surprising that a group that was converted under the Ottomans would go back to Christianity (of one kind or another).

    The Ottomans were a very secular Islamic empire, but I'm sure being a Muslim helped so many converted.


  2. #2
    Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    According to that article many were Christians in the closet anyways, so it's not really a large change, only that they're becoming more open.

  3. #3
    German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where Columbus condemned the natives
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    According to that article many were Christians in the closet anyways, so it's not really a large change, only that they're becoming more open.
    True, but it's good to see they feel comfortable coming out with it.

    The Saudi sheikh's are stepping up there game though. I read that one of them is spending 28million on a new mosque (maybe more than one?) in the region.


  4. #4
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    When will the world ever be free of the bloody missionaries?

    The single worst feature of one of our world's religions, and lack of them the saving grace of every other religion....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  5. #5
    Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    When will the world ever be free of the bloody missionaries?

    The single worst feature of one of our world's religions, and lack of them the saving grace of every other religion....


    Of the major religions, only judaism and hinduism have never tried to expand their religion to other people. And Buddhism was the first to give it a try.

    And the reason why most of these people's ancestors converted to Islam in the first place is because....why do I even bother.

  6. #6
    German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where Columbus condemned the natives
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post


    Of the major religions, only judaism and hinduism have never tried to expand their religion to other people. And Buddhism was the first to give it a try.

    And the reason why most of these people's ancestors converted to Islam in the first place is because....why do I even bother.


  7. #7
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Actually judaim did do the converting stuff but that was during the Romans

  8. #8
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post


    Of the major religions, only judaism and hinduism have never tried to expand their religion to other people. And Buddhism was the first to give it a try.
    There's a difference between "trying to expand a religion", and trying to shove your religion down the throat of every living soul on the planet, because they'll all go to hell if you don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    And the reason why most of these people's ancestors converted to Islam in the first place is because....why do I even bother.
    Because of the sword, because of trade and influence, because of alliances, because of a better chance to gain power, because those in power had that religion etc, the normal stuff. Not because a bunch of tele-evangelists held miracle rallies.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 14:45.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  9. #9
    Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Because of the sword, because of trade and influence, because of alliances, because of a better chance to gain power, because those in power had that religion etc, the normal stuff. Not because a bunch of tele-evangelists held miracle rallies.
    And because the the Ottoman millet system (and the dhimmi tax under the Arabs in other areas), while tolerant of the existance of other religions, discriminated against them with additional taxes.

    Wich part of the article makes you think that conversion is shoved down their throat?

  10. #10
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    And because the the Ottoman millet system (and the dhimmi tax under the Arabs in other areas), while tolerant of the existance of other religions, discriminated against them with additional taxes.
    Are you going to whine that the Ottomans taxed a heretic a bit more at a time when we were burning the slightest divergence from the true faith at the stake...?

    And I would say that the extra tax is covered by what I said, under "because of a better chance to gain power"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Wich part of the article makes you think that conversion is shoved down their throat?
    That part was aimed at christianity in general
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 15:02.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  11. #11
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Are you going to whine that the Ottomans taxed a heretic a bit more at a time when we were burning the slightest divergence from the true faith at the stake...?

    And I would say that the extra tax is covered by what I said, under "because of a better chance to gain power"...



    That part was aimed at christianity in general
    I will traverse seas to convert you and put your name on numerous church "please call me lists". You'll be suckin' down the Eucharist before your next birthday. Count on it.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

    "If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  12. #12
    Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Are you going to whine that the Ottomans taxed a heretic a bit more at a time when we were burning the slightest divergence from the true faith at the stake...?
    Nope. But I'd put it in a different way: places in history that are generally labelled "enlightened safe havens" for religious minorities, like the Arab caliphates for most of their time or the Dutch republic in the 17th and 18th century, are more a reflection on what a cesspit the rest of the world was at the time.

    None of wich I consider particulary relevant today. Personally, I've only been approached two times by someone trying to convert me and they were both Jehovah's Witnesses (and to be fair, they weren't pushy about it)
    How about you?

  13. #13
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Nope. But I'd put it in a different way: places in history that are generally labelled "enlightened safe havens" for religious minorities, like the Arab caliphates for most of their time or the Dutch republic in the 17th and 18th century, are more a reflection on what a cesspit the rest of the world was at the time.
    I never did call them "enlightened safe havens" though

    And we do agree on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    None of wich I consider particulary relevant today. Personally, I've only been approached two times by someone trying to convert me and they were both Jehovah's Witnesses (and to be fair, they weren't pushy about it)
    How about you?
    Yes, two times is about the number of times I get approached. I assume you mean daily, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    I will traverse seas to convert you and put your name on numerous church "please call me lists". You'll be suckin' down the Eucharist before your next birthday. Count on it.
    I'm pretty sure someone already made that prank
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 16:04.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  14. #14
    Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Fortress
    Posts
    11,669

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Actually judaim did do the converting stuff but that was during the Romans
    that was because the romans had many harsh decrees against the jews so we hoped that by converting romans as much as we can, judaism would become more acceptable, thus having the oppressive laws removed.
    after they saw it was hopeless they stopped.

    also, its very hard to convert. judaism wants that so we get honest converts, not ones who are just looking for a life experience. the average conversion for Orthodox Judaism process takes about 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-31-2008 at 16:27.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

  15. #15
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    The (early) middle ages in Europe weren't nearly as bad for religious minorities as people like to think. Just about all major towns had thriving jewish communities and heretics were hardly prosecuted, that is about at the same time as the islamic golden age, prosecution of heretics was more political then religious little dispute between the HRE emperor and the Vatican.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investiture_Controversy

    that was because the romans had many harsh decrees against the jews so we hoped that by converting romans as much as we can, judaism would become more acceptable, thus having the oppressive laws removed.
    after they saw it was hopeless they stopped.


    Not really, jews were pretty much left alone, been revolts that were put down the roman way but romans didn't really care, they were traditionalists, as long as you payed tribute to the gods and later the emperor they didn't really mind that much. That is why christians were prosecuted, they refused to pay honor and the romans feared that would bring harm over the empire since it would displease the gods.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-31-2008 at 16:46.

  16. #16
    Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    That part was aimed at christianity in general
    Even atheists try to do that to Christians, so relax.

  17. #17
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,477

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    That part was aimed at christianity in general
    We don't do it in general, and if you are seriously trying to tell us that you get approached twice a day then, unless you pick theological fights, I'm flat out not going to believe you.

    Now, onto the topic at hand. What seems to have happened here is that a nominally Muslim group of people without strong ties to the religion have decided they would like to convert. The really interesting part here is that this seems to be happening now, perhaps because there is no longer an Us-them, Muslim-Christian, dynamic.

    Regardless of your religious leaning this is a wonderful story because it shows people are willing to break with a national identity and make personal choices, that is a very positive sign for the stability and openness of the society.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

    [IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

  18. #18
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Even atheists try to do that to Christians, so relax.
    I'm sorry, but I have yet to see atheists(or any other non-christian) do any of the following:

    - distribute flyers telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow the true religion
    - stand around in streets or whatever to preach
    - send missionaries on door to door missions*
    - organize massive rallies to convert people
    - organize miracle rallies to make people believe

    ....and this is just a few of the billion number of extremely annoying ways the christians use to convert people. Please stop. I'm tired.

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    We don't do it in general, and if you are seriously trying to tell us that you get approached twice a day then, unless you pick theological fights, I'm flat out not going to believe you.
    Not any more, because I'm switched jobs. However, at my old job, every day I went to buy some lunch, and on my way to buy said lunch, I would be pestered by the same idiot handing out the watchtower. First on my way there, then once again on the way back

    *this one is by far the most annoying one
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  19. #19
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

    Not any more, because I'm switched jobs. However, at my old job, every day I went to buy some lunch, and on my way to buy said lunch, I would be pestered by the same idiot handing out the watchtower. First on my way there, then once again on the way back

    *this one is by far the most annoying one
    So you have a grudge against the christian religion because of that *one* guy?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

  20. #20
    Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have yet to see atheists(or any other non-christian) do any of the following:
    - distribute flyers telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow the true religion
    You do realize how that sounds, right? But I've seen posters, billboards, signs, flyers, you name it. A quick Google Image should probably help you out as well.

    - stand around in streets or whatever to preach
    I've seen Muslims do that as well as atheists and Christians. All of the above rarely stand in the streets and preach, but I've found that many atheists "preach" in schools and workplaces I have attended.

    - send missionaries on door to door missions
    Jehovah's Witnesses don't count.

    - organize massive rallies to convert people
    I've yet to see a rally to convert people. I've seen many rallies as gatherings of those who are already faithful.

    ....and this is just a few of the billion number of extremely annoying ways the christians use to convert people. Please stop. I'm tired.
    Don't you think it's also annoying to have atheists follow you around and tell you that you're wrong? I don't get many Christians preaching to me, and I didn't when I was of an agnostic bent either. I constantly get atheists telling me I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 12-31-2008 at 19:48.

  21. #21
    Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Castle 2_5_2, Swissland.
    Posts
    0
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Yes, Come to the True Relgion, Christianity!!


    (Joke, don't mean any offense you know )

  22. #22
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,477

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have yet to see atheists(or any other non-christian) do any of the following:

    - distribute flyers telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow the true religion
    Seen this from atheists, though obviously not going to "hell"

    - stand around in streets or whatever to preach
    Saw this once over Christmas, they were Evangelicals and American sponsored, I've had more contact with weirdo sects this year, and Buddhists a couple of times.

    - send missionaries on door to door missions*
    This is the people of the JH persuasion, they're often quite nice actually. I usually invite them in for a cup of tea, just like my mum does. After all, they do a thankless job. Never come across a Christian denomination that does this.

    - organize massive rallies to convert people
    Never even heard of this

    - organize miracle rallies to make people believe
    Heard of this, never heard of one near me. Personally I'd be more worried about a demon possessing the miracle worker than I'd expect a cure. I'm not big on demons

    ....and this is just a few of the billion number of extremely annoying ways the christians use to convert people. Please stop. I'm tired.
    No more than two of which apply to any Christian I have met.

    Why don't you stop with the insulting and, frankly, ignorant generalisation.

    Not any more, because I'm switched jobs. However, at my old job, every day I went to buy some lunch, and on my way to buy said lunch, I would be pestered by the same idiot handing out the watchtower. First on my way there, then once again on the way back
    One guy? That's your basis for hating religion in all it's forms?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

    [IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

  23. #23
    Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    One guy? That's your basis for hating religion in all it's forms?
    Don't be unfair Philipvs, HoreTore always singles out christianity in his rants

  24. #24
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    One guy? That's your basis for hating religion in all it's forms?
    Nah. My fundamentalist relatives took care of that pickle pretty much from the beginning...

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    After all, they do a thankless job.
    As well as an utterly pointless, irrelevant, annoying and idiotic job. Get a haircut and a real job, lousy hippies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Don't be unfair Philipvs, HoreTore always singles out christianity in his rants
    That's not true!! I also pick on conservatives, market libbies and nationalists...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 20:32.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  25. #25
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Seen this from atheists, though obviously not going to "hell"

    So you've seen atheists dristribute flyers saying people are going to if they don't follow the true religion...

    the words religion and hell wouldn't really play with an atheist flyer (unless they were questioning them) so i dont see how atheists could do something similar without hell mentioned...

    I have never once had an atheist try to convert me, many times people have attempted to convert me to christianity... im sure there are atheists who try to force thier beliefs on others, but they are hugely outnumbered by christians who try to force thier beliefs on others...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  26. #26
    Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    So you've seen atheists dristribute flyers saying people are going to if they don't follow the true religion...
    The way HoreTore worded his post was obviously a little strange. However, yes, I have seen (and I presume he has seen as well) atheists distributing flyers saying that religion is wrong.

    im sure there are atheists who try to force thier beliefs on others, but they are hugely outnumbered by christians who try to force thier beliefs on others...
    Perhaps it is a matter of location, but I've always had many more militant atheists trying to talk me into following their quasi-religion.

  27. #27
    German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where Columbus condemned the natives
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    I agree in many circumstances it's annoying and often they sound ignorant, but when they're telling you that you're going to hell, in many cases they genuinly believe what they're talking about and want to "save" you. At least from what my right wing Christian conservatives tell me...

    Converting seems to be a problem when money is involved. For example Mormons require members of the church to send 1/10th (I think that's the fraction) of their income to the Mormon church. There is a perfect reason to have aggressive conversion stances...


  28. #28
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Perhaps it is a matter of location, but I've always had many more militant atheists trying to talk me into following their quasi-religion.

    Well to be honest in personal experience its hardly any of either, in school it simply wasn't discussed except in r.e. though thinking on it that means we get told about all the religions but not atheism... but in personal experience very little of christianity, and well i never see like a group of people in town centre trying to tell people theres no god, maybe it only happens in fairly big cities but in the likes of newport and cardiff and i can honestly say i haven't seen it (not that im there all the time)

    I was more basing my opinion on the fact that there are big powerful organisations with commited followers who want to convert people, whereas there seem to be little disorganised groups of atheists making the odd effort, with things like the bus advertising topic we discussed a while back...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  29. #29
    has a Senior Member HoreTore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    12,014

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I agree in many circumstances it's annoying and often they sound ignorant, but when they're telling you that you're going to hell, in many cases they genuinly believe what they're talking about and want to "save" you. At least from what my right wing Christian conservatives tell me...
    So what? Why on earth should I care...?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

  30. #30
    Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Between the Mountain and the Sound
    Posts
    11,074
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    When will the world ever be free of the bloody missionaries?

    The single worst feature of one of our world's religions, and lack of them the saving grace of every other religion....
    You don't understand what's happening here, do you?

    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

    The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO