Thread: 2008 Navy Year in Review

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default 2008 Navy Year in Review

Here is a short run-down of the cool and important stuff that our Military backbone has accomplished this year.

Not too shabby.

If you have any noteworthy examples, post away.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    2008 U.S. Navy Year in Review
    By Galrahn @ Information Dissemination/USNI Blog

As 2008 comes to a conclusion, the time has come to reflect on naval activity for 2008 and offer some reflection regarding the most important developments of the year. My list will undoubtedly leave out activities that others believe are important, and will also undoubtedly include items that many don't believe belong. So be it, I am but one observer who looks at periods greater than one year at a time as a practice, but note that in certain years specific actions, events, activities, and items occur that carry with them long term effects that may or may not be immediately evident.

5) The X-47B. No single military technology introduced in 2008 has the potential to radically reform an entire military function like the X-47B has to reform Carrier aviation. The X-47B becomes the prototype for changes yet fully analyzed regarding how naval forces will attack and defend the from the sky over the seas in the 21st century. The ability to add range, payload, and endurance to sea based strike aviation will enhance the most important military capability of naval forces today, and has the potential to overcome many of the limitations of carrier air power the US Navy has dealt with since WWII. The X-47B is far from a sure thing, it must overcome challenges both technical and political to be fully realized, and even then the current platform cannot replace the human being as the decision maker of life and death. However, it is a step towards the future, an evolution towards a model that can potentially advance the US Navy beyond the latest generation of capabilities challengers are producing, and with that the X-47B offers the potential of a capability well worth the time and investment.

4) International Anti-Pirate Armada. The desire to build coalitions and shared security initiatives has long been a purpose of the modern US Navy, and the slow but deliberate development of an international armada off the coast of Somalia to fight piracy has been nothing short of brilliant to observe in formation. Big ideas start with small implementations, and the big idea of shared security responsibility from responsible global economic powers in the form of combating piracy in unison may seem like a small thing, but it is a big step towards better things. The initiatives that fail usually do so by attempting to do too much at once, beyond the means and political will of participants. The international anti-piracy armada on the other hand demonstrates that starting from a small foundation and working up produces positive momentum, and has the potential to be the foundation for similar shared security arrangements in the 21st century. The idea that one nation cannot do everything alone isn't unique to the United States, and is appealing to the global community that understands shared costs, shared risks, and shared ideals can be the foundation for shared responsibility against the shared threats to the global commons.

3) Satellite Shootdown. While politically, both domestic and international, this event was handled with the delicacy of a bull in a china shop, at the technical and professional level this event represents everything that is right in regards to commercial - government - military cooperation. Using the best and brightest throughout industry and government, the US Navy was able to make the technical adjustments and calculations necessary to utilize a weapon system to perform a mission the weapon system was never designed for, and overcome enormous challenges to hit a target only a few feet wide moving at 13,000 mph above the atmosphere of the planet. Oh by the way, it was a direct hit. This represents the very best example in 2008 why evolution using existing technology is always the most productive model for developing new capabilities at lower cost, and while the Navy gets the praise, credit the private sector workforce in the industry as well for the brilliant demonstration of national science and technical power.

2) Soft Power Deployments. While major naval battle groups to the Middle East still capture the attention (and imagination) of political rhetoric, the real demonstration of national naval power that caught my attention this year was the many proactive humanitarian deployments globally. Whether it was the USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) Pacific Partnership deployment, the USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) African Partnership Station Deployment, USNS Grasp (T-ARS 51) for the Navy Diver-Global Fleet Station 2008, USS Boxer (LHD 4) and USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) for the Continuing Promise 2008 deployments, or the various other deployments including the USCGC Dallas (WHEC 716), HSV Swift, and the task orders of major assets that often get overlooked, like the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) following the Tsunami destruction in the central Philippines. While the response by naval forces for humanitarian support is nothing new, the dedication and focus of the mission profile as a major part of national naval power, and in particular the intentional deployment for that function, is relatively new. 2008 demonstrated that this expanded capability of national soft power offers long term promise of how military forces can support joint agency national power, a banner year for a refocus towards the use of true national power with military forces in ways other than the need to actually use force to achieve strategic ends.

1) Hybrid Sailor and Train To Qualify. The single most important development in the US Navy in 2008 is the Hybrid Sailor and Train to Qualify program realized with the Littoral Combat Ship. Even if the LCS platforms do not pan out, the Navy has made significant, perhaps revolutionary progress, by realizing the necessity and rewards of smarter, better trained, motivated sailors who are put in situations that require more responsibility yet more personal accountability. As volunteers who must meet qualification or be failed out of the program, it is hardly a surprise that Hybrid Sailors who qualify end up thriving in an environment of high expectations. I believe this often overlooked but critical change in philosophy of high expectations for sailors is the single most important long term improvement in how the Navy does business since the cold war. The model produces exactly the right foundation for long term benefits towards realizing highly trained small vessel crews able to support dispersed, complex networks of interconnected complex systems on several ships towards the ends of sustainable, distributed battle space presence and dominance. The long term benefits of Hybrid Sailors and the Train to Qualify program will reap rewards for the US Navy for decades to come, and in my opinion, will ultimately be reflected upon as the single most important and remembered evolutionary step towards a 21st century Navy.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-31-2008 at 20:08.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: 2008 Navy Year in Review

As the old saying goes:

"If you don't hate the military, you're still a recruit."
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    As the old saying goes:

"If you don't hate the military, you're still a recruit."
    That's because your military is lame.

I don't know many people who hate the military PARTICULARLY if they have been in the U.S. military. Frustrated? I'm sure. Hate? nope.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-31-2008 at 20:19.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    That's because your military is lame..
    sick burn
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    sick burn
    zing!

I think the last time the Norwegian military was involved in combat prior to Afghanistan, they were fighting for Hitler. That's pretty lame. I'd be embarrassed and hateful too. ;-)
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-31-2008 at 20:28.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

zing!

I think the last time the Norwegian military was involved in combat prior to Afghanistan, they were fighting for Hitler. That's pretty lame. I'd be embarrassed and hateful too. ;-)
    Almost, except that we've tagged along in just about every NATO war, as well as a bunch of UN wars/missions

And do note that the norwegian military was in no way fighting for Hitler. When the army was defeated, it disbanded, with people either going back home, to england and joined the army there or went to create the resistance movement. No new norwegian army was formed until after the war, those fighting for Hitler joined the German army, in a company fighting on the eastern front(the aryan pride company) as well as various thugs forming the gestapo(the Rinnan-gang). And there was the standard nazi paramilitary force composed of NS-members, of course.

That really just proves that the US military is made up of newb recruits, doesn't it?

Bah, spend a year in a godforsaken hell-hole in northern norway yourself, and see how much you like the ones responsible for said placement yourself...

"Bardufoss - the place God forgot, the Devil left and the army took."

Almost, except that we've tagged along in just about every NATO war, as well as a bunch of UN wars/missions

And do note that the norwegian military was in no way fighting for Hitler. When the army was defeated, it disbanded, with people either going back home, to england and joined the army there or went to create the resistance movement. No new norwegian army was formed until after the war, those fighting for Hitler joined the German army, in a company fighting on the eastern front(the aryan pride company) as well as various thugs forming the gestapo(the Rinnan-gang). And there was the standard nazi paramilitary force composed of NS-members, of course.

That really just proves that the US military is made up of newb recruits, doesn't it?

Bah, spend a year in a godforsaken hell-hole in northern norway yourself, and see how much you like the ones responsible for said placement yourself...

"Bardufoss - the place God forgot, the Devil left and the army took."
    It would be horrible to be stationed anywhere in Norway. I can see why you guys might hate your military.

Was Norway involved in combate during Vietnam or Korea? I thought that there were only a few Nords serving in medical stations during Korea.

They served during the NATO action in Kosovo and now in the NATO action in Afghanistan. Between 300-450 of them. It is greatly appreciated.

Anywhere else?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-31-2008 at 22:42.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blog Entries

Yeah, I believe Eisenhower and Montgomery both looked at Norway as a potential springboard into Germany, but then decided that despite the considerably greater military risk in the Netherlands, it was the better option of the two... They should've picked Norway

It would be horrible to be stationed anywhere in Norway. I can see why you guys might hate your military.

Was Norway involved in combate during Vietnam or Korea? I thought that there were only a few Nords serving in medical stations during Korea.

They served during the NATO action in Kosovo and now in the NATO action in Afghanistan. Between 300-450 of them. It is greatly appreciated.

Anywhere else?
    Are you trying to mock the military of someone who believes the whole thing is better off shut down and downsized...?

Tip of the day: try it with a nationalist instead

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

The topic is a review of the United States Navy and their achievements the past year.

Not "Let's Bash our Own/other People's Military and History in an Attempt at Provoking a Flame War so Banquo's Major League Hangover Gets Worse".

Please return to topic before I get cranky/crankier.

Happy New Year to you lot too.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Are you trying to mock the military of someone who believes the whole thing is better off shut down and downsized...?

Tip of the day: try it with a nationalist instead
    You believe that the Norwegian military should be Shutdown? You know, You may be on to something.

Anywho. This has been a pretty goodyear for real navies everywhere.

Russian:
    Naval expansion into the Med, central Atlantic and Indian Ocean
    New contracts for Modern Carriers
    Combat in the Black Sea

China:
    Sub development, sightings in Japanese waters
    Completion of training for the first Carrier Fleet
    Development of first super Carriers
    Force projection to Gulf of Aden

India:
    Projection in Gulf of Aden
    Assertive anti-piracy doctrine
    Coastal security beef-up
    Pre-owned Russian built super carrier commitment
    Joint Russian/Indian carrier based 5th gen fighter program to counter F-35B

Any Europeans want to add a few examlples of broken ground? I know that there have been a number of them
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-01-2009 at 21:41.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

MY ARMY IS BETTER THAN YOURS LOL.

Back to topic,

I'm quite interested in the Navy, and thank you for the link. I'm also interested in seeing foreign navies spring back up, particularly,

Isn't she a beauty?

Royal Navy aircraft carriers

I've always enjoyed the thought of other, friendly navies, having large carrier based fleets for greater cooperation.

(I'm such a Francophile anyway, so....)
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Anywhere else?

I'd consider it an honour to be stationed in Norway. I'd love to meet the people and see their flourishing culture.

I can tell you this much; Norway's military has impressed me in that theirs has caused less destruction towards the innocent than most.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Any Europeans want to add a few examlples of broken ground? I know that there have been a number of them
    I believe the Deutsche Marine is upgrading the Brandenburg class frigates, the RBS-15 Mk. IV will be acquired for the Braunschweig class corvettes, a new F125 class of frigates is being planned with the first of four due to be replacing the Bremen frigates in 2014 or so, and of course the 212 submarines, two more of which are due to be built. Apparently some Eurohawks are to be replacing the Breguet Atlantiques as well.

EDIT:

Another Berlin class replenishement ship has been ordered, in addition to 30 NHI NH90 helicopters, and Wikipedia says that some Joint Support Ships are also planned.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 01-01-2009 at 23:55.

San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

As already posted, the French have made plans for a new aircraft carrier, six new nuclear submarines, the English are also planning two new carriers. The Germans are developing the F125 class frigate, 6 more surface ships are planned (No information other than the name MÜKE).
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I just watched a program on the USS New York.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Anywho. This has been a pretty goodyear for real navies everywhere.
    Really ?
    India:
    Projection in Gulf of Aden
    Assertive anti-piracy doctrine
    Hold on didn't Indias assertive attack on a pirate mothership turn out to be sinking a newly captured fishing boat with all its crew on board and letting the actual pirates escape in their two speedboats , and then to top it all off they abandoned the survivors meaning that one remaining fisherman was eventually picked up from the wreckage 6 days later .
    Perhaps you should strike India from that list Tuff .

A bad year for the Irish Navy though
    http://ireland.indymedia.org/article/89054

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I'd consider it an honour to be stationed in Norway. I'd love to meet the people and see their flourishing culture.
    Be careful what you ask for. Very careful. Norway, fine ok. Northern norway on the other hand? I'd rather burn in hell for all eternity than spend another year up there...

*derails thread and daydreams about moving to southern France*

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Well anyone can boast about powerful navies...

But ours is cool. Beat this:

http://www.hellenicnavy.gr/trihrhs_en.asp#

Go all the way down and download the high quality pics if you are an enthusiast.

Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    Well anyone can boast about powerful navies...

But ours is cool. Beat this:

http://www.hellenicnavy.gr/trihrhs_en.asp#

Go all the way down and download the high quality pics if you are an enthusiast.

Nice toy. Have fun.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

While briefly perusing the idiot-box a few nights ago, I learned that the Australian Navy will actually pay for its personnel to have breast augmentation.

I'd say that's pretty well game, set, match as to whose navy is bigger....

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    While briefly perusing the idiot-box a few nights ago, I learned that the Australian Navy will actually pay for its personnel to have breast augmentation.

I'd say that's pretty well game, set, match as to whose navy is bigger....

Augmented Boobies

+2 Command on the battlefield, -2 Piety. -3 Morale for enemy troops.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I learned that the Australian Navy will actually pay for its personnel to have breast augmentation.
    I hope this is done to improve the buoyancy of RAN's personnel.

On a serious note, I do not appreciate the insinuation that RNoN is not a real navy. I hope it was all in good fun.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I hope this is done to improve the buoyancy of RAN's personnel.

On a serious note, I do not appreciate the insinuation that RNoN is not a real navy. I hope it was all in good fun.
    I'm pretty sure if they put you on a dragon boat you could take down the US Navy on your own any day.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu