Poll: Your Favourite Nomadic Faction?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Nomad Faction in EB?

Default Favorite Nomad Faction in EB?

The name says it all, this time the test is about the Nomads. I included Pahlava even though they become settled later in the game.

Mine is Pahlava.
    Last edited by A Terribly Harmful Name; 01-01-2009 at 20:15.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Nomad Faction in EB?

Pahlava. Best colour and best looking cataphracts.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Without doubt the Saka. Technically the Pahlava have a more interesting unit roster, but that's only due to their reforms, which they only get when they cease being a true nomad faction.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Where's the Gah! option? tsssk.

Anyway it used to be the yuezhi, now it's the saka. Their more unique and I find them most interesting as I know little or nothing about them.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Saka, I have too much personal experience with them (see below)
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros View Post
    Pahlava. Best colour and best looking cataphracts.
    Baktrian Catanks look better.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Yes, lion masks do look Kewl don't they?

As for me, the Sauromatae, simply becasue they are, and will always be, a Ancient Russia

EBII has another great nomad faction though. I think that's going to be my new favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    EBII has another great nomad faction though. I think that's going to be my new favourite.
    You teaser...

I chose the Sauros just because that was my first thought. But I like all three of them so I don't really have a reason why...

--> - Never near Argos - <--

If there's another Nomad faction it will probably be the Scythians or someone related to Cimmerian Bosphorus, so...

I voted Saka, but I really like Pahlava upon reflection - they always annoy the Seleukids enough so that my Baktria can breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    If there's another Nomad faction it will probably be the Scythians or someone related to Cimmerian Bosphorus, so...
    Not even close to the Russian steppes my freind. .

Really in Need of Occultus signatures.

It's not the Yuezhi because there will be no emerging factions...
    Could it be the Kamboja/Asvakas? An Iranian people in what is now Afghanistan, that fought with Alexander's armies?

They did migrate into India during the latter half of the EB time period.

Whatever it may be, wouldn't another Steppe faction make it awfully crowed there with Baktria, Saka, Pahlava (and Seleucids).

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Blog Entries

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Hem_323bc.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Hem_200bc.jpg

Hmm... I wonder who it could be.
    No...it couldn't be...But of course! The Arctic Marine Mammal Hunter Empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Not even close to the Russian steppes my freind. .

Really in Need of Occultus signatures.
    Bah that's just misinformation .

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Hem_323bc.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Hem_200bc.jpg

Hmm... I wonder who it could be.
    No...it couldn't be...But of course! The Arctic Marine Mammal Hunter Empire!
    do my eyes play tricks on me or are there really iberians in the caucasus at 200 bc :D
    otherwise great map man

Those are the Georgians, aka the city Kartli, north of Armavir (in EB terms).

EDIT: Hell yeah! I broke the Saka-Pahlava tie!
    Last edited by desert; 01-03-2009 at 02:51.

Amateur Historian (In College) Member Artorius Maximus's Avatar
    Erring, Caledonia Name: Artorius Maximus Ethnicity: Italic-Illyrian

My favourite nomadic faction is Saka Rauka because of their unique culture, history, units, and infrastructure. Weren't they the farthest east Scythian tribes, or were those the Yuezhi?

Also, in that map posted by Subotan, who are the Ko-kun tribe? Is there a way to represent them in Europa Barbarorum as maybe a unit or two? I don't remember seeing a reference to them in EB, but were they Iranian or Turkic in origin?

Artorius Maximus, yeah, the Saka-Rauka are the easternmost branch of the "Royal Skythians", though Skythian was a name seemingly used by both Greeks and Persians to refer to any steppe horse-archer tribe in a generic sense, i.e. the horsearcher rabble. The Yuezhi were also known as the Tokharians by the Greeks, I think that they may come from the same (very) early Indo-European origins as the "Skythian" tribes, but developed independently on the Eastern side of the Pamirs/Tarim Basin. It's interesting that the Baktrian Greeks refer to them as "Tokharians" and not "Skythians" as Greeks have done with other steppe tribes, so it makes me think that there were signifigant differences between the Yuezhi and the Saka/ other Skythians. I've heard a bit about Tokharian being the IE language that was spoken the furthest east. I just took a look at that map, looks like the Ko-kun tribe may be an early Proto-Turkic tribe, since they are not marked off as Iranic. There's probably not a whole lot of evidence to create a unit for them though.

On second thought, looking at that map again, the Ko-kun, along with the Hsin-li are so centrally located between the Ugrian tribes, the Siberian hunter gatherers, the Iranian nomad tribes, and signifigantly West of the candidates for *Proto-Turkic tribes* that they could have originated from any of the above, since the steppe is big and wide open. I'm betting that there just isn't a whole lot of evidence to say for sure what their deal was.

*(Xiong-nu-thought to be the ancestors of Attila's Huns by some historians, the Yenesei Kyrgiz- there were later tribes of Kyrgiz that were thought to be of Turkic origin, and a tribe called the Hun-yu, don't know anything about them, but their name sounds similar enough to both the Xiong-nu and the later "Hun" that there may be a connection)*
    Last edited by MerlinusCDXX; 01-03-2009 at 12:28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbelgian View Post
    do my eyes play tricks on me or are there really iberians in the caucasus at 200 bc :D
    otherwise great map man
    Thanks, even though I didn't make it I'm also surprised that nobody mentioned the fact that Albania had migrated from Epeiros to Azerbaijan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Iberia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Albania
    Stuff like that isn't uncommon, usually because lazy Romans named two separate countries "Mountain Land" or something.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Central_Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius Maximus View Post
    Also, in that map posted by Subotan, who are the Ko-kun tribe? Is there a way to represent them in Europa Barbarorum as maybe a unit or two? I don't remember seeing a reference to them in EB, but were they Iranian or Turkic in origin?
    No idea. *Googles*
    Right, I found a girl from Tennessee on Myspace, a Japanese Animé, and something to do with Coca-Cola and a Chinese Pharmaceutical company... But nothing about any Iranian/Turkic Nomads.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post

*(Xiong-nu-thought to be the ancestors of Attila's Huns by some historians, the Yenesei Kyrgiz- there were later tribes of Kyrgiz that were thought to be of Turkic origin, and a tribe called the Hun-yu, don't know anything about them, but their name sounds similar enough to both the Xiong-nu and the later "Hun" that there may be a connection)*
    I'm pretty convinced by that hypothesis. The Xiognu were royal pains in the ass for the Chinese, and they easily had the resources to expand to the West, either voluntarily or because of population pressure.

Edit: Here's a map for 300BC
    http://worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_300bc.jpg

Next new Nomad faction...Hm. Garamantes? Aww c'mon, please tell us! Will you say we've got it right if we guess it?

I'm surprised the Pahlava hasn't got substantially more votes, i expected it to be a landslide in their favour.

They're definitely my favourite, there's just something i like about the way they were nomads, conquered the Seleukid territories, saw the ways of settled life, liked it, stayed, adapted, then carved out an empire of their own.

Oh and the combined poll results right now add up to 100.001%. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?
    Last edited by Dayve; 01-03-2009 at 15:06.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Note that Moros used the term nomad faction, not steppe faction. Could it be that he was talking about... Numidians?

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post

I'm pretty convinced by that hypothesis. The Xiognu were royal pains in the ass for the Chinese, and they easily had the resources to expand to the West, either voluntarily or because of population pressure.
    I actually agree with that statement, but I'm very careful not to post anything here as a statement of fact unless I have multiple verifiable academic sources to back me up. I just posted the hypothesis as it is put forth, and there are historians who disagree with it, so I wrote some instead of many or most, since I don't know who leans in which direction.

Blog Entries

Aha, a real Historian I see? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post
    Artorius Maximus, yeah, the Saka-Rauka are the easternmost branch of the "Royal Skythians", though Skythian was a name seemingly used by both Greeks and Persians to refer to any steppe horse-archer tribe in a generic sense, i.e. the horsearcher rabble.
    "Royal Scythians" is a term used to describe the classic Scythians of the northern Black Sea littoral during the 4th-3rd c. BC and not the Saka.

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

In a weird sense, you are actually both right. The Royal Scythians proper in the Classical age would refer to the tribe in the northern Black Sea littoral as MeinPanzer mentioned; these were referred to as the "Scythians beyond the Sea" in Achaemenid nomenclature. At the same time, the Sacaeraucae/Sakaraukoi according to the likes of J. Harmatta denotes their linguistic emphasis on "lordliness", and posits "The Lordly Scythians", which is comparable to the western counterpart, the later Roxolani, or Raukhsh-Alanna, which roughly means "The Brilliant Aryans". Observe the similarities of Rauka/Rauksha/Raukoi/Roxolanioi. Interestingly, the precursors of the Roxolani had supplanted the previous Royal Scythians both in matter of geographical position and role of status before this entity attained its definitive distinction from the Legae, Siracae, Iazyges and the Aorsi/Alans/Yancai (?). From Old-Persian and Sanskrit Khshathrapa/Ksatriya/Rokhshanna and even the royal title in Persianate cultures, Shah, which is believed to be derived partly from previous Akkadian epithets of royalty (Sha-), we find many cognates.

So in a sense, they are actually both "royal" tribes, but separated from each other. I would therefore rather propagate for a distinction of the Royal Scythians and the Royal Sacae in order to lessen any confusion.
    Last edited by The Persian Cataphract; 01-04-2009 at 02:22.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

TPC, thanks for shedding some light on the subject. I had a feeling that something was missing in what I had posted, but I couldn't quite nail it down. I was hoping that someone with more expertise on the subject than myself would correct any misconceptions that I had.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

What about Saharan nomads??? That's my guess...
    Strikeout!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I choose Phalavan because they CAN BECOME SETTLED....... and get benefits of more civilized units...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

They did migrate into India during the latter half of the EB time period.
    Some people, me included, think that this has A LOT to do with the establishment of the IndoGreek Kingdom. They invaded there as part of the IndoGreek Armies and they were awarded lands to settle along with their families. They are mentioned as part of the army which attacked(along with Yavanas=IndoGreeks at that time, later every NW invader of India) and seized Mothura (an Indian city in the SE of New Delhi).

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast