Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stories to Live Your Life By

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Stories to Live Your Life By

I'm doing some introspecting thumbing through my good book and I came across the story of Job. I heard this story as a child in sunday school and couldn't wrap my head around it but now I think I finally get it.

I really like this story.

]In ancient times, east of Palestine, there lived a righteous man by the name of Job. He was a just and good man, who always strove to please God throughout his life. The Lord rewarded him for his piety with great wealth. He had many hundreds of large and thousands of small cattle. His large and close family of seven sons and three daughters comforted him.

But the Devil was jealous of Job. He began to vilify him before God, "Doth Job fear God for nothing?... But put forth Thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse Thee to Thy face." Then God, in order to reveal to all how faithful Job was to Him and in order to teach people patience in their sufferings, permitted the Devil to take away all of Job’s possessions. One day robbers came and drove away all his cattle, slew his servants, and a terrible tornado from the desert destroyed the house in which Job’s children had gathered together, killing them all. Job not only did not complain against God, but he said, "God gave, and God hath taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

The Devil, put to shame, was not satisfied with this. Again he began to slander Job, "All a man hath will he give for his life. But put forth Thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh (that is, strike him down with disease), and he will curse Thee to Thy face." God permitted the Devil to deprive Job even of his health, and Job was stricken with the most terrible disease — leprosy. Then even his wife began to persuade him to complain against God. His friends, instead of consolation, only further grieved the innocent sufferer with their unjust suspicions. But Job remained firm, did not lose hope in the mercy of God and only begged the Lord to testify that he was suffering in innocence.

In his discourse with his friends, Job prophesied about the Redeemer and of the future resurrection: I know that my Redeemer liveth and on the last day He shall raise from the dust this my corrupted skin, and in my flesh I shall see God. I shall see Him myself; mine eyes, and not the eyes of another, shall behold Him (Job 19:25-27, Septuagint).

After this, God, having shown to all the example of devotion and long-suffering in His servant Job, appeared Himself and commanded his friends, who had regarded Job as a great sinner, to ask for prayers from him for themselves. God rewarded His faithful servant. Job regained his health. He had seven more sons and three daughters, gained back twice as much cattle as he had before, and lived another one hundred and forty years in honor, quietly, piously and happily.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 01-01-2009 at 21:15.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Wink Re: Stories to Live Your Life By

Hmmm, stubbornly endeavoring to persevere against cattle rustlers, tornados, armed robbery, family rubbed out. Sounds like a Texan's plot for a John Wayne movie.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OMG, Job is an ancient Texan! No wonder you love that story!
    Last edited by Hosakawa Tito; 01-01-2009 at 23:27. Reason: struck by an epiphany
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Re: Stories to Live Your Life By

God murders Job's family in order to satisfy a bet with the Devil. He kills a pious man's family in order to impress Evil incarnate.

Cute!
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    God murders Job's family in order to satisfy a bet with the Devil. He kills a pious man's family in order to impress Evil incarnate.

Cute!
    You have missed the point entirely

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Perhaps. But maybe I derive a different point and a different conclusion from this story than others do.

I'm not mocking you, and if you like I can leave your thread alone in peace... my loud mouth and ever-copious opinions are stated plainly elsewhere. It's not my intention to make this place hostile to people of faith.

I have other examples of Biblical cruelty and horrible behavior condoned by the Old Testament God, but perhaps it would be better in another thread.

#Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Yeah the morale of this story is that even if you do everything right your still liable to get screwed. And that god doesn't give a about you.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Or that if you have faith in God, you will be rewarded by Him regardless of the suffering you may pass through?

Nope, that is far too preposterous to even be considered.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Don't we have enough religon bashing threads going?
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

There can never be too many of those.

Do we need to hijack this one to make it five? If you want to go at the hiprocracy of the bible, make a new thread.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Then you obviously don't believe it anyway, it doesn't effect you, and your mind is even not open to the possibility.

Not that I'm closed to the possibility. But you'd have to show me proof. I'm not capable of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    Do we need to hijack this one to make it five? If you want to go at the hiprocracy of the bible, make a new thread.
    Even I'll agree to that. I probably should have kept my big mouth shut.

I don't mean to bash every religion thread I come across, the above was only meant to be a quick comment on the irony of the situation of the Old Testament.

I encourage my fellow non-faithful to take our protests elsewhere, because it's the decent thing to do.

Apologies for the intrusion.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

But you'd have to show me proof. I'm not capable of faith.
    ...Seek ye Faith in the Babe thread. She's got to be in there somewhere.
    This space intentionally left blank

Not that I'm closed to the possibility. But you'd have to show me proof. I'm not capable of faith.
    Then why comment in the first place?

Why? Because it was there, and about one of those horrible biblical stories. You know the ones that try and show blind unthinking obidience as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    There is naught for me in that anorexic wasteland.
    Last edited by lars573; 01-02-2009 at 07:42.

Why? Because it was there, and about one of those horrible biblical stories
    Maybe not trolling is a good idea?

The moral is this. Earthly comforts don't always accompany a virtuous life and vice versa. It is easy to have faith when everything in your life is going great its much harder to do so when you hit a little adversity.

The Devil thought he could prove to God this and he was shamed. The story is also an example of Human ignorance on the topic of God. Rational beliefs are fine for governments but not for Gods and thats were many non-belivers get there jollies saying that the flock is just a blind sheep when in reality they are just missing the dad gum point .

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

This is noooot going to end up well...

The story is just begging to be used as trolling matterial and we allready reached the 'non believer' and 'ingorance' level before page one is full. We are now close to the 'godless heathens' and 'flock of sheep' level.

Banco is gonna throw a fit...

Tempting as it is I am going to not comment on this story. This is my good act for 2009. It morally entitles me to be a total for the rest of the year.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    You have obviously never read lars' posts in the Babe Thread
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Come on everyone, leave Lars alone. I found this pretty funny!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Hmmm, stubbornly endeavoring to persevere against cattle rustlers, tornados, armed robbery, family rubbed out. Sounds like a Texan's plot for a John Wayne movie.
    OMG, Job is an ancient Texan! No wonder you love that story!
    Hahahaha. That's good.

I like the story of Job.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If every thread we had played out this way this would be a lame place to have discussions.

I personally think we can learn a lot from the story of Job. Which is not to be affected by what men say, and by not having your values swayed by unfortunate circumstances.
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 01-02-2009 at 17:22.
    I support Israel

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H View Post
    If every thread we had played out this way this would be a lame place to have discussions.
    Discussions everywhere devolve into pettiness and disrespect. That's why I like them!

Nothing gets the blood pumping like attacking some people and defending others.

I think that most people actually get a kick out of the absurdity of others. Why else would we come back?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-02-2009 at 17:23.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    You have obviously never read lars' posts in the Babe Thread
    I've read lars' posts in the Babe thread, but that wasn't the point - it was just a lame pun on my part - period.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    You have missed the point entirely
    What, that God loves a stoic?

Last edited by Spino; 01-02-2009 at 20:29.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    What, that God loves a stoic Texan?

Fixed!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

RIP Tosa

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Perhaps not surprisingly, I agree very much with the sentiment of the OP.

ATPG, you sound a little like a Cathar...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast