Thread: All music free here! Too good to be true?

Default All music free here! Too good to be true?

Anyone here heard of the software known as Spotify? http://www.spotify.com/en/

For those who enjoy music, this intruiging downloadable program seems like an ideal way of listening to music for nothing on the PC.

To summarise how the program works, you must listen to a 30 second advert for every 30 minutes of music you listen to. Otherwise, there are apparently no catches, and you can listen to absolutely any song you can imagine for FREE. And its legal?

Is this too good to be true? If it is working and everything is in order, how come I previously paid for songs? Is it a loophole in copyright laws? Does anyone know how this system works?

I have downloaded it (after my technologically minded older brother sent me an invitation), and it seems to be what it says. I'm playing any music I want, in full quality as well. Previously, I would have parted with much hard earned cash in HMV or on iTunes to get this legally.

Anyone used Spotify, or have an opinion?
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 01-02-2009 at 17:27. Reason: spelling
    I support Israel

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: All music free here! Too good to be true?

Ha I can download all music it's legal here. But I didn't buy this godly music installation that my cat like to uses to sharpen it's nails for nothing cd's sound much better. Really fond of my cat but when he is clawing my speakers

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

The website says it is not available in my draconian country
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

It says I need an invite for the free 'un.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs View Post
    The website says it is not available in my draconian country
    Well, its not available to IP addresses that appear to be from the US.

Anyway, on the topic of 'free music' I'd point out pandora.com, an internet radio of sorts. No interruption of music with commercials, but like radio you can't choose exactly what song will be played, though you can fine tune exactly what type of songs and genres are played on separate channels. And some songs ( very few) they don't provide.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Yes, Pandora is awsome
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Last.fm is good too, it doesn't have the annoying skip limit Pandora has and seems to have a bigger selection.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Spotify looks legit, having obtained non-US licenses, according to their press releases. So we'll throw this to the Kingdom of Peace and Love (aka: Frontroom) to share the non-controversial musical info.

I caution posters to continue to not link directly to 'free music' services they may have found. Such conversatiions, helping another member hook up to them, should be conducted via Private Message (PM) versus by these publicly-viewed (and google-archived) forums.

Enjoy.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

In fairness, the most commonly used "free music service" has been around since 1906. Seems that folks like Pandora and Last.fm and now Spotufy are all just building on that 102-year-old tradition. Nothing untoward there.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    In fairness, the most commonly used "free music service" has been around since 1906. Seems that folks like Pandora and Last.fm and now Spotufy are all just building on that 102-year-old tradition. Nothing untoward there.
    They improved it, removing the annoying feature:

Its the hour 19:30, now its the time of lightingnews!

In the Malabar front, the forces of our Big Brother were victorious...

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

grr not available
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

is the music DRM protected? because if it is my mp3 player wont play it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    is the music DRM protected? because if it is my mp3 player wont play it.
    As far as I know, the only way you can play the music is through the program itself, and hence only on your computer.
    I support Israel

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H View Post
    As far as I know, the only way you can play the music is through the program itself, and hence only on your computer.
    that stinks....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    It says I need an invite for the free 'un.
    It took some time but I got my invite (you have to ask for one ) anyway I'm listening now. Not bad.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."