Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just bought M2TW...

Default I just bought M2TW...

In anticipation of EB II, I bought the original M2TW and have Kingdoms coming on the way.

What I can really say, and was probably uttered so many times, is that especially for the fact that I came from EB, it really, really seemed to have an astounding lack of depth and arcade feeling that got me away in the first day.

Anyway don't expect a lot unless you're really into mods or waiting for them. I'll be back to good old EB action now.

Oh and you who didn't get it yet would probably be better doing the same . Some of the features were interesting, but overall I think even good old RTW vanilla rates higher than it; M2TW, plainly speaking, is one step beyond pacman in terms of complexity. But modders turn out with the best results! We eagerly await.

Default Re: I just bought M2TW...

I agree. My reaction to M2TW was pretty much the same. No depth, and those elephant cannons were ridiculous.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

I purchased it six months ago and only spent 4 hours playing before I stopped and went back to EB, haven't played since.

Thumbs up Re: I just bought M2TW...

I cannot believe such a person as Basileos Ton Ellenon, of all people, would bother with M2TW. Wow. Europa Barbarorum regularly puts other games to the horrid levels of shame and disgrace. It should be no wonder, then, that you are dissapointed with M2TW. However, you were, after all, foolish enough to purchase it in the first place...

Anyways, approach the situation as Methuselah would, and take a look at the bright side of things: at least you'll be ready to install EB2 when it's done.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 01-04-2009 at 08:02. Reason: Grammatical woes and toes.

I would personally recommend the mod The Long Road if you want to make M2TW a bit more playable. It adds a bunch of extra provinces, factions, and units, slows the turn length down to a half year per turn, makes your economy much more important, and adds some fun RPing elements as well.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 01-04-2009 at 08:14.

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

don't forget the up-and-coming M2TW mod, Dominion of the Sword. i'm hoping it's kind of the EB of the medieval period XD

Yeah I got it a while back and didnt play it for long. I mainly got it for when EB2 comes out but I wanted to give it a good go. Compared to EB it really did seem quite rubbish although I do love the Total War videos. Thats one of my favourite things they do. So I had a look at the The Long Road mod wiki and it sounds like it could be good but I still doubt it would come close the quality of EB. Does anyone know of any other mods for M2TW or Rome that are as good or come close to the quality of EB? I love the way I really get involved into the period and I think its a great way of living history playing this sort of thing. So yeah anything else for any other period for Rome or M2TW that comes even close?

I got bored of that game very quickly as well. It didn't have much depth, and the lack of realism and historical accuracy was a turn-off. Some things I liked about it though were the variation of the soldier's attire within units, and the animations (especially the posture of the cavalry). I haven't tried Kingdoms yet though.
    Last edited by The_Brittunculi; 01-04-2009 at 10:28.

Two good mods for M2TW:
    Deus lo Vult and Stainless Steel.Try them out,i like antiquity better tho
    naked fanatic

Just spent a while looking over Dominion Of The Sword. Looks like it could be pretty amazing. LOADS of historical detail I'd say about equal to EB standards in detail and complexity. Campaign map wasnt as pretty as EBs though so I let them know my feelings lol

Blog Entries

Same. I'm glad I only borrowed it offa friend for a few days, and didn't buy it. Ofc, that will have to change with EBII...

Looks like I will have to try out this Dominion of the Sword.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Europa Barbarorum regularly puts other games to the horrid levels of shame and disgrace. It should be no wonder, then, that you are dissapointed with M2TW. However, you were, after all, foolish enough to purchase it in the first place...
    Agree... and M2TW is full with errors... such as shield bug, 2handed axe anim, and weird oil boilers.... Kingdoms repair most of it, except the 2handed axe is still ineffective... The only good side in M2TW is pikemen.... are sooo strong....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Because of EB I can't play vanilla RTW or M2TW. Any other game I play, I can't really compare it to EB. Otherwise I would not be able to enjoy Left4Dead, Gears of War 2 and CoD:WaW right now. The problem for me and probably for a lot of EB players is E:TW and whether it will be ruined or not by the wealth of info and playability EB1 has.

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

IMHO the best mod for M2TW is Broken Crescent. By large I find the Middle Age in Europe to be extremely boring, and this mod manages to avoid it by focusing on the Middle East. The amount of information and individualization on each faction doesn't reach EB level, but it's decent enough to lessen the arcadey feel of vanilla.

Plus it's the only mod so far that allows me to indulge in my Turkophilia properly.
    Last edited by Zeibek; 01-04-2009 at 14:56.

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Because of EB I can't play vanilla RTW or M2TW. Any other game I play, I can't really compare it to EB. Otherwise I would not be able to enjoy Left4Dead, Gears of War 2 and CoD:WaW right now. The problem for me and probably for a lot of EB players is E:TW and whether it will be ruined or not by the wealth of info and playability EB1 has.
    Quoted for Truth. I can enjoy Fallout 3, Civilisation 4 (Admittedly either Rhey's and Fall, or Total Realism) or even Kdice, because they're not Total War games. I suppose it's too late now to ask CA not to cock E:TW up, but I hope they don't

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I have faith that Jack Lusted will try his best to get them to polish it as good as they can. They've even delayed it another month and they are going to release a multiplayer campaign patch after the release.

I don't really hate M2TW post Kingdoms. There's blood and shininess. Stainless Steel makes it extremely fun and challenging. I just hope that the AOR minimod guys get done soon and the Byzantium mod guys figure out how to integrate it into Stainless Steel.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

"AOR" minimod? Heck, if this is the stage M2TW modding is then it is really dismal. Do a search for the earliest threads in the EB forums, or any old mod forums, and you'll know they had already grasped the basics of AOR making in the first year or so. But still the Middle Ages are cool on their own right and I'll try the Kingdoms mod, yet nothing will ever surpass EB and other RTW mod which I hold to deep regard.

But considering that the potential of a modding platform over the M2TW engine is very big, or so they say, EBII really has hopes on making it better than before. Add to that the possibility of creating an AI that isn't half-retarded and games will be a lot more involving, hopefully to the degree that has been achieved with Paradox Games. Maybe I hope too much.

They have a AOR mod with Stainless Steel, but this is a highly detailed one where you can expand your AOR and stuff.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Ah, thanks for correcting me.

Granted that I'm a total freak, but I have been unable to play *any* computer/gamingplatform game since I've started working on and playing EB. Having written a lot of the text and done more than a fair share of the 2D graphics and getting music lined up etc., I am of course incredibly biased, but still I have bought and tried a few other computer games of various genres and find myself unable to enjoy them. My old PS2 never saw me buy another game for it. I have M2TW but only played about a hundred turns or so I reckon. I think I now expect a game to not only fill my playing time with enjoyment but also to be didactic, and that just really doesn't happen anywhere else so I forget about it. I had hopes that Spore would be really interesting in a sort of evolutionary biology way too, but that part just seemed superficially silly with the limited number of ways species could interact with each other.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    Granted that I'm a total freak, but I have been unable to play *any* computer/gamingplatform game since I've started working on and playing EB.
    Curse you guys! The same happened to me!

But yes, it is true. Once I began playing EB, all other Total War games seemed like child's toys to me and other RTS games were pointless, lacking the tactical depth of EB. The combat system with the set hitpoints and damage just seemed irrelevant to me. Company of Heroes is the only game that does not strictly adhere to that, and yet that very adherence is compromised for strategic depth, making it neither a good RTS nor a decent RTT game(real-time tactics). And since I do not play anything but RTS games, EB is the only think I dabble in.

For one millionth time, splendid job the EB team did! I would be surprised if CA has not asked or will ask you to aid them in their next project. Supposing they do step back in time for their next TW chapter.

if you tried COH maybe you would like Theatre of War?(ww2 RTS-more like a war simulator)
    Its another game ive bought and i consider it money well spent.
    naked fanatic

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

I just started playing this rotten game a second time. I have just decided to play one game untill I can finally conquer america (kill 'em all!!!!!! - quoting Terry Pratchett [Insiders only]). Quite a boring thing. Boring, boring, boring! Missing in everything, especially in game balance. You can kill of every ai-nation without any problem, even if you start as HRR (holy roman empire / heiliges römisches reich), which is attacked from all directions at once. Neithner french nor polish, danish or venecian or mailand are able to resist you. I woNder WHAT AM I EXOPEXTED TO DO till turn 160 (about), until someone finds out the world is round? In medieval I there were 3 epoques too start at - and they weren't there whithout good reason! so much to Medieval II!

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Iv played every TW game since shogun, and I purchased a MTW2 when it first came out, only to find out it required a dvd drive. Traded the game on some site named goozex and forgot about it.

Then got this sweet new labtop for christmas. I want to know what im missing out on in mtw2. If anyone that has the game would like to send it to me....it would be greatly appreciated. I dont have the money for any game right now. Please send me a pm.

Sorry for the begging. If it helps any, tommorow is my birthday.
    Last edited by Mooks; 01-05-2009 at 12:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

The thing I hate the most of M2TW is that you can't choose your heir. I know this has been said in some other thread, but How will that be handled in EB2?. I won't accept to have a stupid/ugly/fat bastard beeing Primus Inter Pares, Pater Senatus in my Romani campaign.
    I like to have the best of the best ruling my house.
    Vulnerat omnes, ultima necat

Blog Entries

I don't think they can do anything about it I'm afraid.

Think well: that's a nice fertile ground for civil strife.

can somebody plaese inform me where i can find M2TW in europe i seems the original site isn' t working

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I don't think they can do anything about it I'm afraid.
    1) Select unwanted FM.
    2) Find some spears.
    3) Point and shoot.

Tried and true method for removing vertices from the family directed acyclic graph.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-05-2009 at 23:46.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast