Thread: Let's try this in the Frontroom: if Ronnie Van Zant were alive today...

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Default Let's try this in the Frontroom: if Ronnie Van Zant were alive today...

...he would support Barack Obama.

Discuss.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Let's try this in the Frontroom: if Ronnie Van Zant were alive today...

I'm sorry to have to say this, but who cares?

Now, speaking to the point:

IMHO the relationship between music and politics should always be adversarial. Politics is an inherently conservative practice, and conservativism is the bane of good music. A musician who supports a particular politician must compromise his own art to do so; must, I say, because art cannot speak to something with the depth of a politician's stance on the world. A part of the beauty of music, and art in general, is the way it simplifies and streamlines existence, narrowing our focus until we can clearly see something which is small enough to be presented in a snippet of time or space. That small something might change the way we think about a larger part of the world, but it simply cannot sufficiently encompass it to present a detailed, nuanced view. Politics, on the other hand, must be comprehensive and complex to have worth. I cringe every time I hear a (formerly) popular song abused by a politician, and so should you.

I would like to think that if Ronnie van Zant were alive today his opinion of politics would be as meaningless and trivial as Obama's taste in music.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Let's try this in the Frontroom: if Ronnie Van Zant were alive today...

Politics = backroom. Sorry, mates.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx