Thread: Ai battle fatigue?

Default Ai battle fatigue?

I noticed that the ai armies run a lot even when is completely useless. Many times when they start to fight they are already exhausted or very tired. Is there a way to give an stamina bonus only to ai and not to me? I think that will make fighting much harder without giving them an huge morale/attack/defence bonus like in very hard battles... If isn't possible, there is a way to give infinite stamina to all units?
    Last edited by uriel1987; 01-05-2009 at 14:47.

Default Re: Ai battle fatigue?

Sure, u can alter the preference.txt. U will find an entry called "fatigue". Just change "true" to "false" but dont expect too much. The battles and units arent balanced for unlimited stamina. Sweboz troops will struggle while phalanx and heavily amoured elite troops beat u up. I think the stamina values are ok as long as there are no hills on the battle map and fighting uphill the ai would lose one way or the other no matter if the stamina is activated. I turned it on again after being unsatisfied with the results.
    Last edited by Laza; 01-05-2009 at 19:52.

mmm i didn't think about the balance, some units have much more stamina than others. It is possible to give some stamina bonus only to ia or to remove stamina only to ai?

No, i dont think so. Maybe u could use troops more offensively by attacking instead of hiding on top of a hill. It would help the ai a lot. Im quite sure the ai isnt programmed to beat special (hill) defense positions. Do u remember vanilla RTW? The running speeds were ridiculous. Just tripple unit movement on battle map and u will be fine with ai. *haha* Changing fatigue depleting when charging uphill isnt possible i think.

mmm you are right, the most simple way to do is this: if the ia army run, maybe mine should too it's against my usual defensive tactics, but maybe i should try in order to make battles more interesting

The AI is often ridiculous with its constant running around. Even when I'm besieging cities, the AI units inside run around like mad instead of taking the defensive position and waiting for me there.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Yeah, the AI seemingly does not always prioritize and will try to do two things at the same time, perhaps not realizing it is impossible. So it will attempt to run to one location, and then to another, opposite one. Is that possible?

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Its a pitty, cause I like to take care of my units in a way they don't get to exausted on battlefield.
    But I will give it a try and switch it off

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

In city battles (with me attacking) I don't mind the AI exhausting itself running around. Running around is a serious disadvantage for them, but to balance that they have the serious advantage of being able to fight to the death on the central city square, intead of routing.

Historically speaking, once the city square is surrounded, the enemy should surrender as further resistance is pointless. But instead RTW forces a fight to the death - that benefits the AI as they are usually the ones on the defensive.

In open field battles, I try to avoid the AI exhausting itself, by placing my army as close to the enemy as possible, even if that means giving up a hill position. Once the battle starts, I sometimes allow myself to redeploy my army to the top of the hill, but I've got to run to get there, which means my troops become just as exhausted as the enemy.

That's funny

why in my battles AI always advancing by walk
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Are you playing on ALX?

- Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    Are you playing on ALX?
    yes

Do you answer for yourself or for cux47?

- Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Laza View Post
    ... preference.txt. U will find an entry called "fatigue". Just change "true" to "false" .....
    do that....

The AI won't tire its troops anymore, and it will be little more of a challenge since u cannot exploit the AI's fatige.

The first time I played with Fatige OFF was with XGM 3.something, and I didn't like it. But after a while with Fatige On I saw the damage to the AI, and decided to keep it OFF. When I found about EB, I played with Fatige and without it. Only in the past year after I decided to use some house rules and lower the Battle difficulty from VH to H, have I played with Fatige OFF exclusively.