Thread: Archaeology in Germany

Default Archaeology in Germany

Just came across this on CNN. Very interesting.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...eld.german.cnn

Enjoy.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Archaeology in Germany

I don't know what's funnier the fact that they can't pronounce Joaquin Phoenix or that they used "Gladiator" as a primary source. Though not barring the fact that the battle in Germania was awesome.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Don’t be so hard on CNN, it’s not their job to inform the public, rather they simply fancy themselves entertainers and de-terminators of public opinion.

CmacQ
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

True, but that's not the point. Whatever they do, you can still find it funny.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Munky, you seem to have missed the point: this is actually a major archaeological find demonstrating significant Roman presence in Germania much later than was previously thought.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

I think you miss the point that I was commenting on the CNN coverage of the event. It wasn't very good. I mean, do you have an article to go with it? The details in the video are fairly sparse. I for one would rather see the actual information about the find rather than the conclusions drawn from it filtered through CNN.

I believe that someone posted something about a find of an ancient roman battlefield in Germania a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if this is the same one?
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-05-2009 at 23:43.

Captain of Team Awesome Member Ignopotens's Avatar

yeah this is the same battlefield mentioned earlier, but I hadn't seen a video for it before

here's the article I posted a link to, from the other thread, though this article was from before they released much of their findings, it does say where the battlefield was though, around Gottingen, almost smack in the middle of Germany, and quite far from Roman borders as I know them

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20081211-16075.html
    Last edited by Ignopotens; 01-07-2009 at 21:32.
    The Lord of Fire

Hmmm... I wonder why people are so hyped about this... Yes it is a nice find, yes it is late. But as all who study pre-modern military history knows a military frontier then was not just a static line, whether at the Great Wall, Limes, Danelaw or in The Holy Land, a certain amount of patrolling, raiding and local campaigning as well as forward strongpoints etc. was undertaken.

Hugh Elton has written extensively and well on the subject of Roman defence and frontier policy (http://people.trentu.ca/~hughelton/Elton_CV.htm).

I am not trying to downplay it, it is a nice find. I am just puzzled that people are so surprised. What I want to find is the Kalkriese equivalent of Illerup Ådal, Tacitus hints there is one...
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Captain of Team Awesome Member Ignopotens's Avatar

I think what is most surprising is the actual size of the battle. I don't think anyone really thought Rome never went back into Germany after 9AD, but the scale of the force, as well as the distance from what is known to have been Roman-held territory at the time of the battle, is surprising.
    The Lord of Fire

I believe some people in the other topic mentioned, it could have been two bands of former roman mercenary tribals fighting.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder why... whether at the Great Wall, Limes, Danelaw or in the Holy Land...
    or even...

Quote Originally Posted by [QUOTE=Ignopotens
    ...the battlefield was... ...around Gottingen, almost... ....in the middle of Germany...
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by [QUOTE=Ignopotens
    ...Roman borders...
    ...so not to draw too fine a point, as I appaerently don't get it; yet what are the names of the modern German states, where those Roman Lines that were built in Germania...
    ...called anyhow, and about when were those Roman Lines that were built in Germania eventually...

...abandoned???

Sorry, but this all has been rather commonly understood, for a very long time.

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 01-09-2009 at 07:57.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

I don't get what you imply, CmacQ.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Boundary Issues, Short-Sheeting a Front, and Other Sundry Misconceptions About the Limes Germanicus

The Limes Germanicus, or the German frontier, was a remarkable defensive system of forts that protected the provinces of Germania Superior and Raetia, and demarcated the Roman Empire from the free-tribes of Magna Germania, as provided by Tacitus. It was built and continuously used between AD 83 and the mid 3rd century. At its height, the Limes ran from the mouth of the Rhine to near Regensburg on the Danube.

This may well have occured about the time Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus was active in Agri Decumates.

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 01-08-2009 at 22:59.

Partly the quotes: particularly the first one I think...
    Partly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Karte_limes.jpg
    Partly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limes_Germanicus (first paragraph)
    Partly: use for a funny encounter Google Maps: 260 km (2 days 6 hours) walking distance between Koblenz (Confluentes) and Gottingen. Hint: that gives the Romans time for a midweek in lovely lower Saxony if they put their efforts to it and the weather isn't too bad.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 01-08-2009 at 22:29.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Sorry I could not hold back.

Twoth by sea and a quick run up the Weser in a didgeridoo??? Not my first pick either, but its a much quicker long-way-round that would of course avoide the mean-streets, and fussy-washey would have no reason to kick the bloody tires beforehand?

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 01-09-2009 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignopotens View Post
    I think what is most surprising is the actual size of the battle. I don't think anyone really thought Rome never went back into Germany after 9AD, but the scale of the force, as well as the distance from what is known to have been Roman-held territory at the time of the battle, is surprising.

As stated elsewhere, the Romans would have gone 'into Germany' on many many occasions on punitive raids of varying force for at least 250 years after the Teutoburgerwald/ Kalkriese defeat of Varus in 9 AD. The Limes, like Hadrians Wall in the UK were not hard limits as we think of them but controlled movement into and out of 'Proper' Roman territory.

The Romans raided or campaigned outside quite regularly, I believe that one (or two? ) of the three Eagles standards lost by Varus, were regained by just such an expedition in during the principate of Claudius.

Their contiinued activities in the Scottish lowlands have also been attested and many Archeological finds made. While the Roman Province proper may have been demarkated by Hadrians wall, their influence/ domination of most of the Scottish lowlands seems to have been extensive until well into the 300's AD.

All that said and pending more details, it is a fair distance from the nearest Limes to the site of this battle - it is also well east of Kalkriese too (though not as far east as their domination ran before Varus decided to listen to his good friend Arminius and go for a stroll in the forest)

Finally : A bit off-topic but If Octavians Adopted Dad had lost 3 legions, would he have pulled out of the area, or would he have raised 10 more and gone and chopped the whole forest down if necessary to get the 'culprits' ?

<some Cool sig will appear here when I get time to work out how>

Actually, JC had the chance but turned it down.

CmacQ

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq View Post
    Actually, JC had the chance but turned it down.

CmacQ
    Lol Fair go, ol Caius Jvlivs was just a bit busy - from his crossing the Rhine to his asassination - he probably would have got around to it after he finished off the Parthians (if Marcus, Cassius et-al had given him the chance that is )

Anyway, sorry and

<cool sig will appear here when I get time to work out how>

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Archaeology in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Verenus View Post
    Finally : A bit off-topic but If Octavians Adopted Dad had lost 3 legions, would he have pulled out of the area, or would he have raised 10 more and gone and chopped the whole forest down if necessary to get the 'culprits' ?
    I've just read Caesar's biography by Adrian Goldsworthy, and he argues that Caesar actually let the Germans off lightly, presumably because he realized he couldn't occupy the country like he did with Gaul. There are no major population centres to conquer and garrison, so it was hard to make a lasting impression. Augustus may have tried to remedy that by building cities in the area, but Caesar didn't have the resources to do that. At least, not until he became dictator, and then he had other problems to worry about. Teutoburger forest would also have made colonization impossible for some time, and probably destroyed the enthusiasm of potential Roman colonists for this venture as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Verenus View Post
    <some Cool sig will appear here when I get time to work out how>
    Go to User CP (top left corner of the screen, just above posting rules) and select edit signature.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Smile Re: Archaeology in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I've just read Caesar's biography by Adrian Goldsworthy

I am reading that now, having just finishd his 'Fall of Carthage', an excellent source of information for the main period covered by EB.

Caesar is a fascinating figure on so many levels and sparked my interest after visiting Rome in 2007 and seeing the spot in the forum where the mob burnt his body after Marcvs' Anotivs's speech - does anybody know if there is a record of what his speech?

Shakespeare is rousing stuff but would love to know what BrvtVs and Antonivs really said that day

These might be my first posts but I have been lurking around the EB forums and playing for well over a year now - this mod is so good I am in the process of having a pc built that's good enough to run it 'full blast' with all the excellent mods and with big units, got fed up with minimum-sized units and 'reinforcements delayed' messages...

So big thanks to the EB creators

Some points.

As Hugh Elton rightly states the Roman Frontier is not ONE impenetrable border, a frontier consists of many overlapping zones. Administrative, culturally, militarily and mercantile. These did not just cut off at the Limes (or any other border at those times), but went far into germany (in this case). Tribes living on both sides of the Rhine for example would not stop communicating with their kinsmen just because there was a Roman "Border" set up, a border not in itself impenetrable but permeable. The Roman Army would have expeditions, outposts and patrols far into enemy territory- it is attested in our sources and that is the way it has ALWAYS been till modern times in border areas.
    I would definately advise reading Frontiers of the Roman Empire (London: Batsford; Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1996) by Hugh Elton. It is scientific, not for the broad public, but people here should be able to enjoy it (after all by installing EB we have agreed to read more history, though in my case that would hardly be possible ;-) ) and it has much interesting scholarship. When I first read it in 1998 I thought, "Of course THAT makes sense!"

And for those of you who believes that Germania was nothing but vast forests, marshes and wilderness as described by good old Tacitus, it was not. Denmark at least- likely the rest- was fully agriculturally exploited from the First Century AD onwards. For elaboration on Denmark in the Iron Age- High Middle Age, PM me on palle.rasmussen@gmail.com.

As for warfare in Germany I advice reading Tacitus' Annals, Book I & II, I suspect not even Caesar could have subdued the Germans for the very reason stated above, there were no population centres and no infrastructure (seen through Roman eyes). IE nothing for the Romans to occupy and integrate in their system. And the population was fiercely against Roman occupation. With time the Romans could have done it, but it would have been a huge investment with no payoff worth mentioning, a deficit. If we come down to it no state sustains any operation of any sort that gives a deficit for long...
    Thus Tiberius Caesar ordered Germanicus to desist his operations when it dawned on him that the Germans would NOT surrender and that keeping eight legions (~28% of the Roman Army) in the field against them was costly in men and money and would yield nothing.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Some points.

As Hugh Elton rightly states the Roman Frontier is not ONE impenetrable border, a frontier consists of many overlapping zones. Administrative, culturally, militarily and mercantile. These did not just cut off at the Limes (or any other border at those times), but went far into germany (in this case). Tribes living on both sides of the Rhine for example would not stop communicating with their kinsmen just because there was a Roman "Border" set up, a border not in itself impenetrable but permeable. The Roman Army would have expeditions, outposts and patrols far into enemy territory- it is attested in our sources and that is the way it has ALWAYS been till modern times in border areas.
    I would definately advise reading Frontiers of the Roman Empire (London: Batsford; Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1996) by Hugh Elton. It is scientific, not for the broad public, but people here should be able to enjoy it (after all by installing EB we have agreed to read more history, though in my case that would hardly be possible ;-) ) and it has much interesting scholarship. When I first read it in 1998 I thought, "Of course THAT makes sense!"

And for those of you who believes that Germania was nothing but vast forests, marshes and wilderness as described by good old Tacitus, it was not. Denmark at least- likely the rest- was fully agriculturally exploited from the First Century AD onwards. For elaboration on Denmark in the Iron Age- High Middle Age, PM me on palle.rasmussen@gmail.com.

As for warfare in Germany I advice reading Tacitus' Annals, Book I & II, I suspect not even Caesar could have subdued the Germans for the very reason stated above, there were no population centres and no infrastructure (seen through Roman eyes). IE nothing for the Romans to occupy and integrate in their system. And the population was fiercely against Roman occupation. With time the Romans could have done it, but it would have been a huge investment with no payoff worth mentioning, a deficit. If we come down to it no state sustains any operation of any sort that gives a deficit for long...
    Thus Tiberius Caesar ordered Germanicus to desist his operations when it dawned on him that the Germans would NOT surrender and that keeping eight legions (~28% of the Roman Army) in the field against them was costly in men and money and would yield nothing.
    Macilrille,
    overall very well put. I believe if JC had followed the Swabians into the woods, he could have lost his entire army and possibly his life, as well. (SbS) Suicide-by-Swabian

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 01-22-2009 at 15:01.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Archaeology in Germany

Thanks for the reference, Macilrille. I'll see if I can locate in the university library network.

Incidentally, putting your e-mail address on the internet is generally an invitation for spam. Apparently there are bot scouring the web for addresses. Only do it if you don't care much about that particular address.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

It is OK, even though Google is watching me they also have a pretty effective spamfilter on Gmail, and since, a) I am far too complicated a person for their adds to ever be relevant to me (proving that they cannot fit me into their personality models) and, b) I have nothing to hide (well, I like young women, but not under 20 anyway), let them look over my shoulder as long as they protect me from spam.

Cmaq it depends, a large part of Varus' Defeat and Germanicus' de facto defeat was the knowledge and character of Arminus, there would need to have been someone with the same knowledge of Rome and charisma to keep the tribes togehter in order to beat Julle. Who was himself, by all accounts, an excellent leader of men and tactician. But yes I basically agree with you, and with Tacitus' assesment that it would be easier to beat Parthia then the German tribes.

Macilrille,

if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions about LpRIA Germania and Denmark? Its for a little project I'm working on.

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 02-01-2009 at 06:20.

Feel free, best e-mail me though.

palle.rasmussen@gmail.com

Macilrille, you may want to send that in a PM instead, as the bots roaming the net can pick up on your address and make you recieve spam.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks, but let them, I have used Gmail for 3-4 years and have had 3 messages slip past the spam filter, thousands get caught. They may look over my shoulder at what I am searching for on Google, they may keep track on my Youtube, Myspace and Facebook activities, and even scan my mail, but their spam filter is worth it.

Right,

then we'll see how this works out?

CmacQ