Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What EB era city would you want to live in?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default What EB era city would you want to live in?

So if you had to live anywhere on the EB map, which of the named cities in EB would you live in?

Alexandria hands down so I could start the hypothetical industrial revolution. Or serhaps somewhere in India might be nice. Having a nice vineyard in a out of the way place in Southern Italy would be nice too. Good air, good view.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: What EB era city would you want to live in?

Alexandria, definitely. THE place for cultured people. Fantastic library, ancient monuments, you name it.

Not Rome, that place is such a dive, the locals are mostly close-minded dickheads who think their sprawling overpopulated shithole is the centre of the universe....

But if you want to get wasted and laid (in that order, the chicks have to be wasted too) Bribracte is where it's happening, man....only barbarians REALLY know how to have a good time!

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Pfft, Roma for me. No explanation needed. Greek pervs and northern barbarians cannot hope to compare.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Qart-Hadast. Hell, I could make a lotta money as a merchant and live the life. Oh, and vote for the Barcid party.

You got everything there - especially those priestesses of Astarte...
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 01-08-2009 at 02:19.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Rome.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Alexandreia... THE civilized city...

Rome was just a big, dirty, sewer smelling city... as said before.. full of ****heads with closed minds. DId I mentioned forced levies?

Perhaps interesting to live in, but not... that nice...

The golden age of Rome was in the mid empire IIRC
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 01-08-2009 at 02:41.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Pretty much every city on the Ancient World had unordinate amounts of squalor and crowding. Rome had actually one of the best water and sewer systems in antiquity (every big guy, including the Romani faction leader in EB, cared to build an acqueduct time to time), so it would be my choice. Along perhaps with Alexandreia or Athenai.

But I would probably live on an estate instead: fresh air, lots of room to do whatever you like, lots of slaves, etc.
    Last edited by A Terribly Harmful Name; 01-08-2009 at 02:45.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Qart-Hadast. Hell, I could make a lotta money as a merchant and live the life.
    Hmmm, your argument does have certain weight, gold is sweeter than water, but you do not have to live in Kart-Hadast to be a merchant. Plus, Roma had gladiatorial games. How can you compare the entertainment provided by even someone as supposedly exquisite as the priestesses of Astarte to the spectacular blood and gore offered by various types of arena games? There was nothing on the world like the Games. Nothing so splendid, grandiose, bloody, and engrossing, but at the same widespread and available even to the poorest. Sea battles, more than 15 different specific and distinct styles of gladiators, animal-human clashes, and large-scale land battle "re-enactments" (with probably the accuracy of modern-day Hollywood, but who cares? - it's bloody and unlike 300 it is real!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    Alexandreia... THE civilized city...

Rome was just a big, dirty, sewer smelling city... as said before.. full of ****heads with closed minds. DId I mentioned forced levies?
    Dude, Alexandria was just as smelly. All ancient cities were. Rome probably had better sewage than it anyway, although more so during the imperial days. You are supposed to be a Roman fanboy too, so shut your face, you Quisling :)!!!

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Enjoy your un-covered cloaca maxima.

Besides who needs gladiatorial games when you have access to the best library in the world
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Well it depends on what time in the EB era you want to be in. If its close to the beginning, Qart-Hadast or Seleukeia. If its mid-way (say 130 BCE or so), hmmm....Pergamon. Late period, definitely Rome.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

During my campaigns to enslave civilize the entire world, I would keep my HQ in Roma for sentimental reasons. Also, that is a good place from which to organize expeditions into northern Europe. Armored troops, tanks, and helicopters only - I wouldn't want those natives to think that we can be killed...

Once I have the southern half of Asia, North Africa, and Western Europe, I will assemble a large force to attack through the Hindu Kush, Khwarezm, the Caucasus, and Skythia. At this point, my HQ will be in Athens. After that, I will probably go back to the present day and leave all the administration to my trusted subordinates.
    Last edited by desert; 01-08-2009 at 03:18.

And as any good Evil Overlord should know, the only trusted lieutenant is a dead one. Your inherently flawed plan has now doomed you to be shot upon returning to the present day by your own Legions of Terror. Never mind that quantum mechanically speaking you could never return to your present day...
    Balloons:

A. I travelled back in time, so I might as well be able to do the reverse.
    B. I am not an Evil Overlord. I am a Good Overlord. Among my many reforms will be abolishment of slavery, mandatory attendance of regional educational institutions supplemented by volunteers from the present day for all citizens under 12, food aid to hungry villages, improved roads and trade networks, etc. As such, they are not legions of Terror. My armies will be trained to adhere to the Three Phases:

Phase 1: Pre-battle speeches to enemy soldiers with megaphones, firing guns into the air.

Phase 2: If panic and desire to surrender are not induced, or are induced but do not produce intended results, then armored vehicles, airplanes and helicopters will be brought in in a classic example of Shock and Awe tactics. A small amount of fire will be concentrated into the enemy lines. The helicopters will play "Ride of the Valkyries".

Phase 3: If the enemy does not break, the order to Fire at Will is given, and an order to halt a minute later. This cycle of orders will be repeated until all hostiles are terminated or have fled/surrendered.

After a few battles, everyone will just surrender to me as if I were Genghis Khan and the Mongol horde.
    Last edited by desert; 01-08-2009 at 03:42.

Massalia.

Beautiful Mediterranean views, well-built Greek city, but mixed with Celtic culture.

Or maybe the area around Biarritz in France. Uncrowded surf, open countryside. Or maybe the Atlantic coasts of the Iberian Peninsula. Gorgeous landscape, more uncrowded surf.

The area around Morocco. Once again, temperate climate, uncrowded surf.

Enjoy your un-covered cloaca maxima.
    ???
    Explain please. How do genitals relate to what I said?

Besides who needs gladiatorial games when you have access to the best library in the world
    You got me there, I would prefer the greatest library to some coarse games for plebs. Reading is my passion, above everything, in both the time I allot to it, and the amount of pleasure I derive from it.

However, I was choosing the EB-era city based on what it has that the cities of today do not. I was not choosing the best city to live in indefinitely, but the best one to live in only for a short period of time, as a visit. I have libraries aplenty in my city, but I will not find gladiatorial games even slightly comparable to that of Rome's anywhere in the world. They should really either enslave or "gladiatorize" all of modern criminals. Much better than to let them rot in prison, occasionally coming out to work. Very few US prisons have regular labour gangs. Russia is different though. Prisons will keep you alive and well in relatively semi-tolerable conditions but you'll be working your ass off all the time.

Plus, considering that you are not some drug lord or a son of a wealthy businessman or important politician in Mexico, you are a common man as I am given to understand. Common men of those times were ignorant to the extreme. You would not be able to read, let alone to read text of such complexity and sharpness of wit as the ones written long ago by the best of the societies. Standards have fallen dramatically since then. Now almost any pleb can publish a book. even the best of today cannot compare to the glorious past.

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    A. I travelled back in time, so I might as well be able to do the reverse.
    B. I am not an Evil Overlord. I am a Good Overlord. Among my many reforms will be abolishment of slavery, mandatory attendance of regional educational institutions supplemented by volunteers from the present day for all citizens under 12, food aid to hungry villages, improved roads and trade networks, etc. As such, they are not legions of Terror. My armies will be trained to adhere to the Three Phases:

Phase 1: Pre-battle speeches to enemy soldiers with megaphones, firing guns into the air.

Phase 2: If panic and desire to surrender are not induced, or are induced but do not produce intended results, then armored vehicles, airplanes and helicopters will be brought in in a classic example of Shock and Awe tactics. A small amount of fire will be concentrated into the enemy lines. The helicopters will play "Ride of the Valkyries".

Phase 3: If the enemy does not break, the order to Fire at Will is given, and an order to halt a minute later. This cycle of orders will be repeated until all hostiles are terminated or have fled/surrendered.

After a few battles, everyone will just surrender to me as if I were Genghis Khan and the Mongol horde.
    So you want to go back in time to impose your will with well-trained army forces? *Looks in lil' black book o' evil* Yep, qualifies. And quantum mechanically speaking, you COULD go back in time assuming wormholes are possible and the right amounts of unobtainium could be had, but then you'd have created an entirely new universe in our multiverse diverging at your entry point, which means going forward to "present day" would be the present day of your new 'verse. Stephen Baxter's Timeships is a good fiction demonstrating that.
    Also, modern body armor will not stop melee weapons, so unless you actually do some killing somebody will figure out that you are unwilling to hit them and/or may believe that the gods are protecting them, thus causing them to advance and poke your troops. And, as recent history has shown again, the heavy hitters may win the battles, but the grunts are needed to win the war. Put another way, tanks and air power can win land, but only the infantry can keep it. And a spear in a marine will still be quite fatal to said marine.
    We won't even begin to speak of the cultural upheaval you propose with your reforms....we ESPECIALLY will avoid the obvious references to a certain departing POTUS and his unilateral thinking...
    Balloons:

There are many theories. :P

And I was actually thinking of body armor made of this substance: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/1...terial-02.html
    http://thefutureofthings.com/articles.php?itemId=24/61/

Military use in "two to three" years, baby. I'll call them stormtroopers.

And yes, I will have a way to mass produce it...
    Last edited by desert; 01-08-2009 at 04:12.

Kerberos from Panzer Cops, and Jin-Roh would make probably every ancient army run like hell.

Excluding the whole MG-42 thing, they look like the devil's spawn.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Are you kidding. The MG-42 is more devilish than the entire kit put together .

Qart-Hadast and Atiqa if I was a citzen, and I would visit Alexandria often.

Probably Swebotrausdamnoz or whatever if I was in power, and I'd rapidly modernize my people and carve a vast empire. :D

Oh and probably get in a good writing system etc.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Carthage, and I will be the riches noble to support Hannibal Barca.
    - REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

- a very generous bribe from Yarema

I'm surprised no one wants to live in Parthian Mid-East or anything east of Alexandria as a matter of fact.

... or Sparta.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-08-2009 at 05:18.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    ... or Sparta.
    I hope you know how tough it was to live there. I have read the original texts of Plutarch, Xenophon and Aristotle on the Spartans, which were actually compiled into a single book consisting of nothing but their material. Sparta was more ruthless than a concentration camp.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Indeed, life in Sparta sounds like it was very tough for the upper classes never mind the helots.

Honestly, I was just throwing it out there as I know some Killtarded(Sp?) people who lament the fact that they live in an age of limited warfare. Also This is 272BC-14AD, there are no more helots. They were settled at Megalopolis(first thing that comes to mind, I'm probably wrong though) after the Corinthian War ended or somewhere else near by.

Member Member Codyos Vladimiros's Avatar

Probably Baktria. Or Alexandria. I can't decide where I'd rather live...

It would be hard to say. I never thougt about were I would live. Probeably were I would have been born - theres no place like home

I don't like large city life so I could just aswell end up somwhere on the steppes with the Sauros or another nomad tribe always on the move. Never bound to a place, able to take you home with you wherever you want it to, hear great stories of you ancestors hunt with the tribesmen... Fisrt however I would have to learn how to ride and use a bow perfectly ...

@||Lz3||: with cloaca maxima do you mean the main open sewer in Rome which was later fully covered but still works today?
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Around 270BC I would like to live in Seleukeia. Would visit Babylon and it's wonders quite often.

Around 170 BC I would like to be in Alexandria. The Great Library and lighthouse of Pharos. Also, I really would like to see Pyramids and Sfinks and other ancient Egyptian sightings.

Around 70BC probably in Capua. Rome could be too dangerous because of the Civil wars couple decades later but Capua seems nice 'little' and peaceful place. Would prefer to live in a estate outside the side though.

And around 14AD.. Rome of course.

What good is the library of Alexandreia when the books are all written in a language none of us can read!?

Rome on the other hand, who needs to know the language slaves and criminals are shouting in the arena as they're being torn apart by starved lions?

Nobody, that's who!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast