Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EB Forum Reforms

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default EB Forum Reforms

We seriously need to stop the stupid posts and topics that we know are going to get locked - there are so many, I'm beginning to actually agree with Aemilius here. Sure, it's great to have an alternate type of thread, but go to 4chan or something to flame people, etc.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 01-08-2009 at 13:22.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Default Re: EB Forum Reforms

Totally agreed. It just can't be that 7 threads on the first page of this forum are locked (and somehow I feel that because of some people this will end up being number 8). And that high number has nothing to do with the severity of the EB moderators because they allow much.

On a side note, shouldn't the FAQ be stickied again, because we're getting a lot of threads with questions that can be easily solved by reading the FAQ. I know we have the important informations thread, but I doubt many of those people that post such threads are inclined to look at it, while a frequently asked questions thread may just catch their attention.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-08-2009 at 13:42.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

i agree,
    many threads devolve into a unbarable state and often without any real reason(there was no aids in EB time so no need to talk about aids here...) but to be honest I don't know what kind of reform would change that.

On a side note, shouldn't the FAQ be stickied again, because we're getting a lot of threads with questions that can be easily solved by reading the FAQ. I know we have the important informations thread, but I doubt many of those people that post such threads are inclined to look at it, while a frequently asked questions thread may just catch their attention.
    one of the FAQs even is "where's the FAQ?" ^^ and i had a hard time finding them myself.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Including the term FAQ in the title ("Important Information ... and FAQ") should be sufficient.
    Without any offense meant, I still don't get what is so hard about understanding that a thread called "Important Information For Forum Users" contains important information...
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 01-08-2009 at 14:59.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Including the term FAQ in the title ("Important Information ... and FAQ") should be sufficient.
    Without any offense meant, I still don't get what is so hard about understanding that a thread called "Important Information For Forum Users" contains important information...
    Well.. just look at the recent threads.
    There are a lot more "what are the reform", "help my I can build barracks in Taras", etc... threads.

I don't know why those posters think the important information is unimportant to them, but it seems they do...

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Rule number 1 of the internetz:

Nobody ever cares about stickied threads. I didn't.

Lightbulb Re: EB Forum Reforms

I'm sorry about this but I have to complain. I know threads some times have nothing to do with technical stuff or directly related to the game mechanics or history but you should relax about the rest.
    I don't understand why talking about lorica segmentata is a reason to lock a thread. In that case talking about epic movies, Ben Hur type, should be locked too. You can´t be more papist than the Pope.
    We are here, at least in my case, to learn about what the rest have to say about ancient history, even if they are just dreams, ideas or a comment of a novel they read. I strongly belive we can not only to recreate history, but to have fun.
    Games are basic models of reality, you can't expect a bunch of geeks - gamers - historians - engineers - simple mortals - etc not to have fun with a game, because EB is just a game, not a scientific recreation.
    We should let everyone say what ever they have to say.

If a thread is improper.... that is a different story.

(Please define IMPROPER for the forum beacuse I can't)
    Vulnerat omnes, ultima necat

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

LS threads are locked because of two reasons. 1- They turn into arguments that just repeat themselves for days without adding new information or give by either side, and 2- people just start spamming stupid things like pictures, smilies, and random, "LORICA SEGMENTATA!!!" yellings. Also, they don't matter. No matter how much people talk about LS, it will never be in EB. So the threads are a waste of everyone's time.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Publio Cornelio Escipión Africano Mayor View Post
    I'm sorry about this but I have to complain. I know threads some times have nothing to do with technical stuff or directly related to the game mechanics or history but you should relax about the rest.
    I don't understand why talking about lorica segmentata is a reason to lock a thread. In that case talking about epic movies, Ben Hur type, should be locked too. You can´t be more papist than the Pope.
    We are here, at least in my case, to learn about what the rest have to say about ancient history, even if they are just dreams, ideas or a comment of a novel they read. I strongly belive we can not only to recreate history, but to have fun.
    Games are basic models of reality, you can't expect a bunch of geeks - gamers - historians - engineers - simple mortals - etc not to have fun with a game, because EB is just a game, not a scientific recreation.
    We should let everyone say what ever they have to say.

If a thread is improper.... that is a different story.

(Please define IMPROPER for the forum beacuse I can't)
    Making a joke, or the occasional off-topic thread is no problem. Posting meaningless random stuff is, post that don't add to a conversation, flames, in before the lock posts, political debates, inproper language,.... We all know what is acceptable and what isn't. And if you don't you must know that each forum has it's rules. If you don't know the rules, it's not a bad idea to read them.

A link to the general .Org FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45416
    Of course every subforum has it's own topics, and should be discussed at the right place. Religious or poltical debate is for the backroom. A entirely offtopic thread should go to the Frontroom. Threads discussing other mods should be in the mod discussion forum,...

Edit: Marcus posted while I was typing. Gah!
    Last edited by Moros; 01-08-2009 at 19:53.

Indeed.

Also, I think that the EB forums are too isolated from the main .org forums. It is important to note that the EB forum is not independent from the .org, as the moderators of this forum (Teleklos, Foot, Krusader etc) also have to abide to the rules that also count for the rest of the .org.

As I said, the most forum-users here only visit the EB forums, and as such, they are more inclined to create off-topic posts and threads here, though those should belong in the Frontroom and Backroom [I won't give the link here, because it is off-limits to some members]. If the EB forums moderators allow off-topic posts and threads to continue [as in the past] they might also get in trouble with the .org administrators [TosaInu, SirClergane, etc]. The EB forums are meant solely to discuss the EB modification, not for off-topic posts and threads.

It is a poor way to say 'thank you' to the makers of a mod to flood their forums with off-topic threads, which might get them in trouble later.
    Last edited by Hax; 01-08-2009 at 19:49.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the 'backroom'? Sounds ominous.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I have often heard of this mysterious place that only a priviliged few are allowed access to. What exactly goes on there and what does it take to gain entry?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Politics and Religion. Pretty much anything that could get you shot outside of the West or inside of Texas.

Also Teleklos makes us Tacos if we're especially good.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-08-2009 at 23:58.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

You need to send a request to one of the backroom moderators, (I think there's a special solicitude, but I don't remember where to find it).

Basically, it's a private place to discuss more... sensitive subjects... like politics, religion, etc.

Since it's a sensitive place, they can't allow anyone since they would risk the chance of the always present troll, that's why there's a selection process.

(PS: I'm not in the backroom, I... haven't applied hehe)
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 01-09-2009 at 00:13.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Eh... we are talking about the Tavern's backroom right? Why can I get in? I never applied and I don't think defusing certain things in the frontroom twice counts.

Honestly, I think that if you're the type to actively expend a ton of effort to get into it, it might very well disappoint you.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-09-2009 at 00:17.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

IIRC I was just one day told I was considered worthy of the admission. Basically, if the mods and whoever think you're a sensible and well-behaved enough fellow they'll eventually let you in, or something like that.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

iirc if you go into your User CP and check the backroom thingo, you get the permission to get in. But only enter if you know that you can be responsible of your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I don't remember how I got in, I think I got access when I became a full member. Things may have changed since then, Org traffic has picked up a lot.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

How much money will the MIC for these new reforms cost?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    please don't kill me....

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Finally someone gets the reference...
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    How much money will the MIC for these new reforms cost?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    please don't kill me....
    EPIC LOLZ!!!!!!!!

But seriously if you guys think that THIS is bad.....

Ive been on forums where Trolling like this is an art form and where there are HUNDREDS of locked threads on utterly useless topics, (most of them failed trolls). This is actually one of the calmest forums ive ever been in.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    IIRC I was just one day told I was considered worthy of the admission. Basically, if the mods and whoever think you're a sensible and well-behaved enough fellow they'll eventually let you in, or something like that.
    That's how it used to be: the Backroom and several other forums became accessible once people gained full membership. Not it's a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by 187Beefyz View Post
    iirc if you go into your User CP and check the backroom thingo, you get the permission to get in. But only enter if you know that you can be responsible of your word.
    Correct. The backroom moderators have to approve your request, but unless had a previous run-in with the forum staff it's just a formality. Do keep in mind that debates can get heated, but we still expect people to abide by the forum rules.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

But isn't that the problem? I mean a normal user has no possible ways and means to talk about curious stuff that happend during his current day. So in the long run a thread is bound to derail and get hijacked. We can't talk about how effective e.g. roman infantry is all times long.

FrontRoom.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

@Fixiwee:

I have heard of a weird new invention: real life contacts.
    As I understand it it's something like living Nicknames.
    There are even rumors of a fully animated body and an intelligent AI!

Sorry, no offense meant (really. ) but I wasn't able to withstand...

To get serious:
    I don't see the problem. In this forum you discuss the matters it was opened for (like in any other forum). If you don't want to speak about ancient warfare and/or EB you are free to switch to another place. I'm sure every member here does it that way.
    We are only here to discuss the fantastic mod and it's background. For all other subjects we have to find another place.

Just my 2 cents. And once again: No offence meant.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Yeah the so called "real-life" card always makes me fold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Correct. The backroom moderators have to approve your request, but unless had a previous run-in with the forum staff it's just a formality. Do keep in mind that debates can get heated, but we still expect people to abide by the forum rules.
    Is that the Tavern, or is it in some other place than social groups?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a bit confusing since there is both a forum and a social group called the Tavern. The Backroom a sub-forum is in this forum: a link to it will appear in the Tavern as soon as the Backroom staff have granted your request for access (the request can be made via User CP => Group memberships). For the record, membership of the Backroom comes with no obligations, apart from obeying the forum rules obviously, and can be stopped at any time you like.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Blog Entries

Do I apply to join the Backroom or EB?

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    i agree,
    many threads devolve into a unbarable state and often without any real reason(there was no aids in EB time so no need to talk about aids here...) but to be honest I don't know what kind of reform would change that.

one of the FAQs even is "where's the FAQ?" ^^ and i had a hard time finding them myself.
    Dude, every important general and figure in history had aides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast