Thread: Loyal Protectorates is not possible with the common VH/N setting?

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Default Loyal Protectorates is not possible with the common VH/N setting?

Though the title says all, I just want to know that in the advised difficulty setting Very Hard on campaign and Medium on battle is it possible to keep my protectorates loyal to me. I like leaving the factions alive also I use them as my protectorate and serve me as buffer zone state.
    I am using alex mostly but I want to learn that with game engine can allow my protectorates be loyal to me.
    I will try a trial and tests on exes and be back to report but my main planned exe will be alex.

plz if you any idea what is the best setting(difficulty setting) and exe for this be appriciated to know.

Atra

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Loyal Protectorates is not possible with the common VH/N setting?

In previous releases, the EB team recommended against the protectorate function because it didn't take into account the money script. This gave the protecting faction a large extra cash inflow. The money script has been tweaked since then, so I am not sure if this still applies.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Loyal Protectorates is not possible with the common VH/N setting?

I played a campaign with EB 1.1 recently and had the Getai as a protectorate. I did not get any extra money because of this. All income was normal.

Loyal Protectorates is not possible.

On H/M it is. Never once been betrayed by a Protectorate. By an Ally, plenty of times. As for the money script, it seems far more reasonable now. I have two protectorates in my AS game and I believe they yield me roughly 10-12k mnai per turn total, which I probably could make by conquering the provinces myself.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

I personally never trust Protectorates.

A defeated enemy doesn't look good. A destroyed enemy does.

It might be possible to keep them loyal - not for long and very rarely but I can't know for sure (above reason).
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

My testing on alex.exe with VH/N difficulty setting.

human faction AS

last testing date 255 BC

protectorates

pahlava loyal protectorate since 272 bc I gave 4 provinces them to make them my protectorate.

baktria loyal protectorate since 265 bc I gave no provinces them to make them my protectorate.

Ptolemaioi loyal protectorate since 265 bc I gave no provinces them to make them my protectorate.

I attacked baktria then made protectorate with force diplomacy

pahlava attacked me I made them my protectorate by giving 4 provinces with force diplomacy

ı was in war with ptolemaoi ı captured sidon then made them my protectorate with force diplomacy

until the end of my testing date (265 bc) pahlava was loyal for 17 years baktria and ptolemaoi for 10 years.

one more thing my protectorates did not invade even rebel provinces after they became my protectorate.

ı will try untill 20 years cos it was enough for me.

p.s: I am using 1.2 EB version + lz3's minimod and as ı said before ı made them my protectorate with FD that LZ3 also added it his minimod.
    maybe some screenies tomorrow ı can add..

I do not know why but only in 1st and 2nd turn you get some money after 3rd turn you get nothing from yr protectorates!
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 01-09-2009 at 23:43.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

I would like to see some more of your results of protectorates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

The reason you don't get much money after a while is that the AI has already given you all its escess money. You generally will get some stream of money from a small protectorate if it can't find a way to spend most of its money and if you do a late-game protectorate you generally get some money as well since the AI has nothing to spend its money ON. It also seems like the AI is neutered in a protectorship as they sometimes will make very large armies and then just sit around with them doing nothing. The only time I can possibly think of an AI actually possibly betraying you in such a condition would be if you are the only way it could expand, meaning you have taken all the surrounding land provinces from it. Though, like I said, it never seems to go aggressive as a protectorate.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

There's no point having them on VH/M, they just break it the next turn by laying siege to one of your cities with a unit of akontistai.

On H/M or M/M they sometimes do but mostly they do stay loyal, provided you have a good sized army having a permanent picnic in the fields along thier border.

You don't want them to be loyal as puppies all the time anyhow, it would get boring. There was always tension between protectors and protectorates, and rebellion was so frequent in these times the newspapers (if they'd existed) wouldn't have even bothered reporting it.

Loyal protectorates is not possible nor desirable...
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Roleplay protectorates in single regions by installing type 4 governemet. That's kind of a satisfaction, if you miss real protectorates like me
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken View Post
    I agree on that. Especially the last part.
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Originally Posted by Jaertecken View Post
    I also agree with you but not with the first , with the second.

I finished the test at 254 BC,
    So ı can assure you that your protectorates can be loyal- I tested only alex- but it kills the game at the same time. So if you want to roleplay keep away from making protectorates.
    client rulers is ok after the bug fix.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 01-19-2009 at 15:55.

My Submods for EB

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

In my Pontus campaign I just got destroyed by the silver chevroned Pergamun (cant spell it right) army, I split my army up and tried to ambush them, ambush failed and 90% of my army died in true pontic style. Egypt decided then to attack me, I fended them off but I literally had only 1 unit of garrison in each city and FM's. Egypt comes back next turn with a offer- protectorate-. I accepted and they havent attacked me yet and its been about 15 years. They even sent troops in my territory and past it to attack the Saka's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.