Thread: Dacian War history help - Leg XXX Ulpia and II Trajana

Not at all like my Avatar Member gamerdude873's Avatar

Default Dacian War history help - Leg XXX Ulpia and II Trajana

For the life of me i just can't seem to find any definite info on when these two legions were actually raised. I've browsed just about everywhere, and while I have the general time frame, I can't get a good date. Some sources say 100, others 105. Some say that XXX Ulpia fought at Second Battle of Tapae, while others say that this couldn't have been because it was founded for the Second Dacian war, not the first. Could anyone give me a hand, or point me in the right direction on where to find this sort of stuff, or better yet, an accurate description of the Dacian wars? The internet just really isn't helping...
    Last edited by gamerdude873; 01-10-2009 at 08:25.
    Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

I may be drunk Miss, but you're ugly. In the morning I'll be sober, and you'll still be ugly. -Winston Churchill

Default Re: Dacian War history help - Leg XXX Ulpia and II Trajana

Dacia became a roman province after 106, when the last Dacian - Roman war ended so I don't think a legion could be raised before that.

Hope this helped.

Hi
    In the book 'Trajan, Optimus Princeps' by Julian Bennet, he writes:

'Trajan raised two new legions in 102/4, one of them, the 'legio II Traiana'

'the 'II Traiana fortis' and 'XXX Ulpia Victrix'. They were formed around the nuclei of experienced men transferred from existing legions'.

Hope this helps.

Not at all like my Avatar Member gamerdude873's Avatar

'Trajan raised two new legions in 102/4, one of them, the 'legio II Traiana'
    So does this also mean that we're just not sure 100% when either legio was raised, but only possible dates? Or did you mean that those are the dates respectively?
    Last edited by gamerdude873; 01-10-2009 at 20:57.
    Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

I may be drunk Miss, but you're ugly. In the morning I'll be sober, and you'll still be ugly. -Winston Churchill

Hi

Bennet writes that the dates are reasonably accurate, he just means that the legions were assembled, equiped and supplied with auxillary support from the end of 102 to the start of 104.

A period minimum of 14 months, may have been longer! A period of time that does not seem unreasonable in order to raise 2 legions. If you wished you could probably pin it to 103, for the year of the major founding and organisation of the forces.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Try this website:

www.roman-empire.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!