Poll: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

Exclamation So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

Now, I often find varying reactions from various people passing by in the streets, but I really, really, really hate it when certain idiots decide I'm somebody to be feared and cross the street upon my approach. What really pisses me off is when I cross the street in a deliberate attempt at a forced confrontation with the idiot trying to avoid me with the goal of nodding my head and saying, "hi," I actually find that the idiot decides to cross the street again to back from whence he came (it would be painful if the idiot just turned around and ran off).

Has anyone ever feared you guys on the street? Whatever your answer(s) may be, speak on it. If someone has to fear me on the street, I will make it known. That is something I have not yet done, but the occasional idiot will shake in fear upon seeing me for seemingly no reason.

Blog Entries

Default Re: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

Ummm ok then, ill just reside to my sewer before you trample on me
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-11-2009 at 05:08. Reason: decided to hide

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Err...

...were you holding an axe, a sword, potato peeler or any other similar instrument of murder?

...when was the last time you had a shower?

Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I'm not sure how I gained my niche here but I like it.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I have feared other people before.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Question Re: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

But why?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

I remember that last year I was going to buy over a couple of old dvd's from someone. He asked me when he should bring them. I said it didn't matter, I'm always avaible and I've got the money with me. So he asked me where I was, at a bar waiting for a freind. He apparantly didn't live far from there (didn't knew where he lived back then) and said that he'd bring them over quickly. So here he comes with a big brown envelop containing the dvd's. He hands it over to me I give him the money he says something a long the line of: great doing bussiness with you, and till next time. Then suddenly everybody in the bar looks rather strange at me, and then I realised how suspicious it all was.

Also when going out I sometimes have to wait for freinds on the street corner or next to some place we've agreed to meet. But I tend to be rather early and most freinds tend to be late. And as it's already dark and waiting on a corner of the street or next to a bar or something, people sometimes mistook me for a drugsdealer. Which I'm not.

So I guess sometimes people must think I'm dangerous, but only because I tend to behave suspicious without realizing.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I'm not sure how I gained my niche here but I like it.
    Because you wrestle grizzly bears for fun?

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

To the OP: Are you really really ugly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Well, he doesn't have to be. I mean, I used to ward people off in the past as well. I used to have long hair and walk with my head down seemingly in thought always, hence giving the look of a depressed geek or something. Now I have shaved my hair (yes, shaved), switched from baggy to tight clothes and work out at home which has given me an overall good feeling about myself. And you know what they say, if you feel good about yourself, you shine out and give the same impression to everyone around you. And believe me, it does work lads.

Maion
    ~Maion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    To the OP: Are you really really ugly?
    doubt it, but he is methuselath so there bound to look

Eh, well, depends on how you look, certain types like skinheads and punks can get angry at you just for looking at them longer than one or two seconds. Hasn't happened to me lately but I came across some very angry people on the street when I was younger. I try not to stare at people who look a bit extremist(left or right, doesn't matter) nowadays, but I do not remember crossing the street because of them, I just try to avoid provocation and that's it, if they want trouble anyway, well, I can fight, too, for a second at least, I hope.

I do know that my mom may cross the street if someone has a huge dog or so though.

To make a judgement in your particular case we would need a picture of your very self, Metuselah.
    If noone replies anymore after you posted one, we're probably too afraid.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I'm the kind of person who crosses the road when I see someone vaguely threatening...

Yeah I'm a coward

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Why would I be walking? There are such things as cars (not that I do the driving...)
    Last edited by Somebody Else; 01-13-2009 at 23:36.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody Else View Post
    Why would I be walking? There are such things as cars (not that I do the driving...)
    Somebody else does the driving right? I guess you wouldn't want to walk because somebody else may get in your way
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-14-2009 at 00:24.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I often wonder to myself if a see a gang hanging around on some street corner, but i have adopted the policy of i am older than them so thier not intrested, and its pretty true, it was only nerve wracking back when i was younger because i was a similar age to the 'kids' hanging on the street corners..

I don't really intimidate often, occasionally whilst walking down the street head slightly bowed and hood up i think one or two older people were intimidated, i think these are the kind of people to be intimidated by anything bigger than a 3 year old girl...

I suppose it depends what you look like meth, if your some 7ft skinhead whose shoulders come out 3ft each way then it wouldn't much suprise me, i wouldn't move out your way but even i would feel a little cautious...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Question Re: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

I'm certainly a far cry from ugly, but I think the fact that my neighbourhood is going down the drain and young street punks are starting to vandalise the place might have a role in this. After all, I walk tall and proud with my head held high, which might seem like a threatening and challenging stance to some innocent, peace-loving people.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Well he [Meth] does look kinda scary (and psychopath-ish).*

*Based on true facts...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Oh yes... and he's ugly
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 01-14-2009 at 08:38.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

When you play the bagpipes, you instill a certain fear in people.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Post Re: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

If you don't mind me asking Methuselah, do you actually know these people that are avoiding you?

Admittedly I'm the sort of person that walks across the street if I see somebody I don't like (and I know them or want to talk to them). There's a really strange fellow I used to know who I avoid now - he's the sort that locks his arm around you in the street and starts talking at the top of his voice. As you can imagine this would cause the entire street to look at you (and, as far as I know, he wasn't drunk which kind of made it worse without an excuse for his action).

In the past, when I was about seven, I used to do the same when it was a traffic warden or police officer (the police were my phobia of the time - I thought they were going to arrest me.) I also did the same to people from alternative schools in the area during my teens - a bunch of thugs from one of them decided to beat me up in passing (the town still hasn't changed today).

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-15-2009 at 10:05.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I think people don't realise that often by crossing the road to avoid someone you bring yourself to this person attention, unless you can do it whilst out of thier sight i would think you would be safer sticking on thier side of the road and just trying to aviod eye contact...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I cross the road when I see anyone vaguely threatening. Why?

Well I'm not a big guy. I'm tall, but pretty scrawny. Also I have messy hair and wear glasses.

Basically what all this adds up to is that several times upon walking past someone in my town I have had them push/punch/steal my glasses all while laughing like an idiot and yelling stuff like 'Oooh its Harry Potter!.' Needless to say it isn't a fun experience.

Now you'll probably think I'm a coward but I won't start a fight with someone over something like that. In fact I've never started a fight with anyone - except for once when a friend of mine was in danger. So the best thing for me to do is to walk to the side of the road when I see someone who looks like trouble.

The people I avoid are usually chavs/skinheads. I basically live in the racist skinhead capital of the UK, home to the BNP and UKIP (both extremely racist political parties), so those sort of people are usually bad news around here.

So really past experience has taught me that it's best just to avoid that sort of thing rather than take the chance.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 01-16-2009 at 14:29.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Exclamation Re: So here I am, walking down the sidewalk, minding my own business...

Man, that's rough. I'd rather die than be pushed around like that...

Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 01-17-2009 at 06:25. Reason: Clownie.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    Err...

...were you holding an axe, a sword, potato peeler or any other similar instrument of murder?

...when was the last time you had a shower?

I would ask the same question. Why would anyone have fear of you in the streets? I quite like that people don't notice me on the streets.
    BLARGH!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Depends I guess. But most of the time I just walk along the sidewalk uninterrupted.

Once though, when I was making my way back from Vampire Lectures (i.e. 7-9pm classes), just walking along, almost home. Some "youths", I guess they were youths although that's such a broad and sweeping term, were boozing it up, smashing bottles, etc on the opposite side of the road. They were certainly watching me, sizing me up. One of them decided to cross the road, puffing up his chest and everything. So I began to prepare for the worst, maybe get threatened, attacked or even robbed. So as he got closer I brought up my right hand to show off the great big Maglite torch I carry so I can see what I'm doing when I walk through about half a km of bush just before my house. Ha, I've never seen anyone scurry away so fast!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I once used to be so feared that people would clamor to my side in efforts to avoid provoking my iron fist...then I woke up.

Gah!!!!!

I was going to comment more but as it's the frontroom I won't risk the axe.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

When I was younger I would get odd looks sometimes, although if anyone crossed a street to avoid me I didn't notice. Seems like that would just make the person more likely to notice you...
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    When I was younger I would get odd looks sometimes, although if anyone crossed a street to avoid me I didn't notice. Seems like that would just make the person more likely to notice you...
    agreed. the best way to draw attention to yourself is to cross the street....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

For me, while on the subject, at the tender reckless suicidal age of 14 every time i go into a shop i get a shop assistant eyeing me up, they don't have to treat me like a dam thief! (or maybe there just pedos? )
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-20-2009 at 20:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast