Thread: The Long Haul

Default The Long Haul

So I'm working on a homework assignment in the witch's hour with about another day left until I'm done, and no one is posting in the EB forum. So I decided to drop by and check the place out.

When I work into the wee hours of the morning, until 3, 4, 5, or even 6, I call it The Long Haul. Usually what I'll do to keep myself going is grab two of the biggest cups I can find, make a very strong tea, and then chug them down without worrying about the 3rd degree burns I'm getting.

Any of you know what I'm saying?

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default Re: The Long Haul

Yep

I actually liked to study/write essays during the early hours of the morning. I d wake up at 3, add enough moisture to 6-7 spoons of coffee to convert it into a viscous liquid, drink it and commence studying. Since there was nothing to distract me I would manage to study very efficiently and at a fraction of my 'normal hours of the day' time...

...It kind of became a habit after a while. I am usually awake by 4-5 A.M and I love those small hours of the morning, before people start calling me about work and problems (My daily phone talk time is about 4 hours). Best part of the day.

Hang in there. Be courageous and may you never run out of tea...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

0_0 Well...

Anyway, what's the longest you have ever stayed up. Once, during a school week, I had such a large amount of HW that I didn't sleep for 2 days/60 hours straight. I was actually afraid that, if I got a similar workload on the third day, I would just drop dead the next day.

I even prepared a note, just in case, lol.

Exclamation Re: The Long Haul

You even prepared a note? Wow, bro, you must've been delirious...

I pulled about 6 all-nighters last semester, distributed throughout the term, none of them in a row (thank God). I'll tell you, they are not fun. It's my goal to reduce this number for the current semester.

I used to pull all-nighters all the time, then I realized it meant I had both terrible study habits and terrible sleeping habits. Your body should not be on Australian Eastern Standard Time when you live in the Midwest US.

The past semester I only had to do one, which I'm pretty proud of. I do miss the euphoria and delirium that comes with an epic all-nighter where you guzzle down tea so much that you're peeing more than typing. Then you have to stay awake all day in class, but you're broke and have no food, so you buy two Rockstars and a protein bar and hit the road. The two-mile bike to class keeps you awake long enough to down the first Rockstar. The bar is lunch and the last Rockstar goes at about 2PM.

Then, after the long day, you try to wait to sleep at a normal time so that you go back to a normal schedule, despite not sleeping for basically 36 hours.

The worst was when I pulled an all nighter and then had a friend's birthday barcrawl to go on. I was awake for nearly two days and felt drunk before we even got to the stupid pub.

...I kinda miss epic times like those, come to think of it.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All nighter right here. Didn't get my sleep schedule fixed in time for the new semester, and knowing there was a good chance I wouldn't get up by 7 AM after spending two hours just laying in bed, I decided to heck with sleep for tonight and get myself back on schedule over the next few days as I recoup my losses.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I never mind all nighters whilst its still nighttime, im can keep going fine until i get to the afternoon. the afternoon is the killer period during all nighters!

Ironically if i make it to the next night i find thats when i get my second wind (or more like third or fourth) and can actually stay up through the night again relatively easily....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

My most extreme experience was during my master's degree...

I had an exam Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday and I think I slept about 8-9 hours in total from Sunday to Wednesday night.

On the good side, during the exam on Wednesday my total and complete exhaustion gave me a 'I dont care about this, I just wanna write as fast as I can and go to sleep' attitude so I was 100% anxiety free and did quite well actually...

On the downside, when I returned home at a semi-delirious state, being really really eager to just sleep....well, I couldn't sleep! It took me hours to fall asleep...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I don't need or get much sleep so all nighters are fine for me, but I don't really get alot of them.

The only ones that I really do all nighters are when I have LAN parties with friends over the weekend. The longest, I think, was maybe ~30 hours long starting at like 3 in the afternoon.

The wierd thing is that during those LAN parties, I must be on adrenaline or something like that b/c I don't get tired at all. Furthermore, I'm not hungry either, but get extremely thirsty. On the way back home, though, I get extremely tired and then basically get asleep instantly at home
    Last edited by TevashSzat; 01-12-2009 at 22:52.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton