Thread: My beloved Italy.

Default My beloved Italy.

Watch this for some lighthearted fun, and a strikingly accurate portrayal of Italian culture today. I found it quite funny.
    As half Italian myself, and one very interested in the country, I found it a thought provoking observation on the society.
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 01-05-2009 at 19:43. Reason: clarity and flow
    I support Israel

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: My beloved Italy.

That is absolutely hilarious I have tears in my eyes from laughing. LOVE the plane and the politics

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : My beloved Italy.

Funny, but I think most of this would apply to France, Spain and most southern European countries.

Default Re: Re : My beloved Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Funny, but I think most of this would apply to France, Spain and most southern European countries.
    Doubtless some aspects could, but I see the whole picture as exclusive to Italy.

@Fragony, my personal favorite is the coffee! Typical... oh and I have actually been on a flight, as I'm sure others will have, where the passengers bursted into applause when we landed; quite funny.
    I support Israel

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Love Italia

That video was awesome

I think I could do one of México one of these days
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I'm pretty sure I'll be attending University in Lugano, Switzerland (which is right on the border of Italy and is an Italian speaking region) so I will get to know Italy very well. I'm looking forward to it because my travels to Rome and Florence on other occasions have left me craving more Italian culture and food!

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Hilarious, I really liked the traffic part!

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

That video must be older than Jesus, but still funny. :)
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll be attending University in Lugano, Switzerland (which is right on the border of Italy and is an Italian speaking region) so I will get to know Italy very well. I'm looking forward to it because my travels to Rome and Florence on other occasions have left me craving more Italian culture and food!
    Do be aware, however, that the extreme north of Italy (Bolzano, and most of the rural regions where the mountains start) is more German than Italian. Ironic as it is, the actual Italians (as in Italian speaking, with Italian speaking heritage) there are the minority, and seen as inferior. To get the real Italian culture, you need to venture to the places from Milan southwards, bearing in mind that everywhere south of Rome is known as THE South to Italians (and they are inferior to everyone else, descending in status the further south you get until you reach the Sicilians - who I am reliably informed "are not Italian" hmmm - Africans maybe?).
    I support Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H View Post
    Do be aware, however, that the extreme north of Italy (Bolzano, and most of the rural regions where the mountains start) is more German than Italian. Ironic as it is, the actual Italians (as in Italian speaking, with Italian speaking heritage) there are the minority, and seen as inferior. To get the real Italian culture, you need to venture to the places from Milan southwards, bearing in mind that everywhere south of Rome is known as THE South to Italians (and they are inferior to everyone else, descending in status the further south you get until you reach the Sicilians - who I am reliably informed "are not Italian" hmmm - Africans maybe?).
    Sicilians have always been considered 'Sicilian' or non-Italian by Italians since... well, since anyone can remember. Italians don't think of them as Africans (some perhaps think of them as being North Africanized to a degree) but the average Italian seems to understand that Sicily was conquered and colonized by the Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Moors (Berbers), Arabs, Normans, etc. Genetically speaking I believe the native peoples that lived in Sicily before the previously mentioned peoples arrived were their own distinct ethnicity but it's safe to say they probably had more in common with mainland Italians than anyone else.

Keep in mind that there are still Italians who live in denial about all of southern Italy having strong Greek roots (Magna Graecia... Naples = Neapolis, Taranto = Tarentum, Capua, Croton, Bari, etc.).

On a humorous note being of Greek & Italian ancestry I've run into more Italians who dismiss the 50/50 split as being a mere technicality, having heard "Una faccia una razza!" more times than I care to count. On the flip side I've received more dismissals from Greeks who disavow any such genetic relation to Italians... lol!
    Last edited by Spino; 01-07-2009 at 19:08.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

All the better to learn German.

Hahaha

My grandfather was born here, but his father and mother were from around Naples. I've never seen anyone who hates Northern Italy so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    Hahaha

My grandfather was born here, but his father and mother were from around Naples. I've never seen anyone who hates Northern Italy so much.
    Well the modern country of Italy came to be one, not too long ago. Like the German states, it was more of a large confederation of city states that competed against each other more than with each other. I think that's where you have most of your state vs. state tit for tat in both Italy and Germany that you might not see so much in France (though you will no matter where you go, even countries as small as Belgium).

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

LOL, the same video could be used precisely to make one for Greece!

Maion
    ~Maion

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Yeah, for Serbia too, except the coffee part...