Thread: Time between years

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Question Time between years

A quick question, isn't there an incredibly small point in time where we have two years connected? I am reffering to the time when 23:59 31st of December 2008 (or any other year) becomes 00:00 1st of January 2009 (or any other year) and the change of years happens at the 60th second of the last minute.

Is there a moment of time when both years are in the same "frame", to say it like that?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: Time between years

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    A quick question, isn't there an incredibly small point in time where we have two years connected? I am reffering to the time when 23:59 31st of December 2008 (or any other year) becomes 00:00 1st of January 2009 (or any other year) and the change of years happens at the 60th second of the last minute.

Is there a moment of time when both years are in the same "frame", to say it like that?
    Well, I suppose that there is always an exact point in time when the Earth reaches exactly the point it was at before.

That point, however, would be infinitesimally small, which means for general purposes there are no connections between years
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Don't make the mistake of confusing the artificial, purely human, breakdown of time into seconds into something intrinsic or interesting about the universe. We segment time into seconds for our ease of understanding, not because that segmentation actually reveals anything important about reality.

In other words, if you want years to be connected then you can see them that way, and if you want them not to be connected you can see them that way as well and it doesn't matter in the slightest. Pink unicorns on the head of a pin and all that nonsense.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Mmmm, time is a dimention, not a clock. It isn't actually divisable. Either there are no years, seconds are absolute, or you divide time into infinitely smaller units.

Each way it can only be one year at a time.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think anyone actually knows what Time is.

It can be imagined as continuous, as in Zeno's Paradoxes, but it is actually measured discretely. So to answer the OP, there isn't any point in time that is simultaneously in two years.

Time is continuous in Relativity, but it isn't absolute - every observer has their own personal time that appears to progress at a different rate to that of other observers with different acceleration.

Thanks to Quantum Theory, Time might actually be discrete. There is the concept of the Planck Time, the smallest possible interval.

Oddly enough it can actually be the beginning of 2009 in London when it is still 2008 in Hawaii thanks to the magic of timezones!

Juvenal?

Aren't you the guy who wrote that Roman-Casse AAR in the TWCenter?
    Last edited by desert; 02-09-2009 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Juvenal?

Aren't you the guy who wrote that Roman-Casse AAR in the TWCenter?
    Yes, that is I, it was Juvenal's Journal.

You might recall that EB took a couple of years to deliver the first complete version (during which time RTR got all the way up to version 5). I joined here to get EB v0.80 and become involved in the EB community, but I ended up writing the AAR over at TWC because they had announced a competition.

I am mostly into IBFD7.03 at the moment.

Back on-topic, Time is a fascinating and elusive concept. We experience Time's Arrow as cause and effect, and yet our theories of physics seem to work for the most part equally well in both directions.

I seem to recall reading Feynmann writing about his Vacuum Diagrams, that he said a good interpretation for some interactions is to assume that some particles travel backwards in time so that they have a hand in their own creation!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Back on-topic, Time is a fascinating and elusive concept. We experience Time's Arrow as cause and effect, and yet our theories of physics seem to work for the most part equally well in both directions.
    AFAIK, the big exception to this being the 2nd law of thermodynamics. I have heard it argued that this is the reason why we perceive an "Arrow of Time" in the first place.

I seem to recall reading Feynmann writing about his Vacuum Diagrams, that he said a good interpretation for some interactions is to assume that some particles travel backwards in time so that they have a hand in their own creation!
    This is correct; in quantum field theory, an antiparticle is interpreted as being a normal particle travelling backwards in time.

I'm not sure whether this has any deeper significance however or if it is simply a convenient mathematical interpretation. However it is certainly true that particle physics, with the exception of the weak nuclear force, is time-reversible.

Gah! Blinded by science!

Actually two years will never be in the same frame because you can always have a smaller unit of time, than the one you consider.
    For instance, you are talking in seconds...the 60th second of an year can be further subdivided into say milliseconds. Then the 1000th millisecond can be divided in microseconds, and then nanoseconds and so on....that last bit of time, which you are saying belongs to both years, will keep getting smaller and smaller infinitely.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Perhaps if we re-programmed the main deflector array to generate a tachyon beam we could create a time paradox allowing us to simultaneously be in two different times at, er, the same time.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

If I speeded like the Flash by doing continous jumping jacks could I experience a different time to someone else who was stationary, maybe we could have two differ years together that way.

I'm off for a mass of red bull to start my experiments
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Wait for meeeeeeee..........eeeeeee. You still there?
    Silence is beautiful