Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sad day

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Unhappy A sad day

I ought to wait, I suppose, for him to make the announcement himself, but he's too modest and I have too much to say.

KukriKhan-sama has stepped down from the Backroom staff.

Having written that I have a lot to say, I now get tongue-tied. How can I express how much Kukri has done for me without sounding obsequious?

Kukri was already a giant here when I joined the org, and his example has always been one to cherish. When, unexpectedly, I was ambushed one winter's night, tortured cruelly by having this tea-towel stitched to my head and thrown back like a dying fish into the Backroom with the charge to "moderate", it was Kukri who supplied the limited anaesthetic (whiskey mixed with ether, IIRC) and the sage advice.

I imagine you all can guess at the wisdom, compassion and stern guidance he has been ever-willing to offer to me, because it shines through everything he writes here. I have had the enormous privilege of working with a team of outstanding colleagues, but I have always relied most on, and felt closest to, KukriKhan. He's picked me up when I was down, calmed me when I was bouncing off walls, and shaken his head at me when I have slipped into pomposity.

He's just such an exceptional fellow. I have never met him in real life, but you can see the measure of a man over a period of time, even on the internet - gravitas and honour are not things easily faked over years - and Kukri is a man's man. He served his country with that great honour, and has brought the benefit of a lifetime's service to this small backwater of the intertubes. Wouldn't he just be one's first choice to share a beer with?

I don't have a hat on so I can't salute him. I can wish him the very best as a "civilian" and look forward to his posts now that he isn't constrained by the cowl. (Check out his Political Compass and be afraid, be very afraid). Thank you for more than I can write here - but I hope you know.

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: A sad day

How could I add to what BG already put so well?

I can only fully subscribe to it and express my thoughts by the "smily" that best summarizes the spirit of this place

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

And not green anymore either, like several who are green but without a section?

As BG has already put it eloquently, Kukri's a great guy and the backroom might not be what it is without him around.

This comes as quite a surprise to me and I hope that Kukri will continue to remain active in the backroom and otherwise and wish him best of luck for whatever endeavrs he's embarking upon.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh dear. Yesterday, Tony Dungy retired from leading my cherished Colts. And today, Kukri-Sama retires from leading the backroom. What next?

We will miss your example, Kukri. You exemplified the very meaning of your title with your service to the backroom. You were the epitome of an even-keeled, steady hand to guide this most turbulent of forums. You were the most courteous, consistent member here. May fortune guide your future endeavours.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do not know what I could say that has not already been said.

Kukrikhan has always demonstrated the best qualities of an honorable man in all the time that I've known him, and his moderation has always been fair, so it is a sad day indeed to see him step down.

May God Bless you, Kukri, whatever you do, though I hope we will still have the pleasure of your company.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

An ORG mentor is leaving me.

Any time I thought I had been wronged, Kurki always brought me back down to earth by reminding me 1. It's just an internet forum and 2. Everyone has a differing opinion.

Honestly, I credit everything to him. Without him chances are I would've been banned long ago. Instead I am a senior member with legions of followers. All of you and myself can thank Kurki.

We are truly less without him.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 01-13-2009 at 20:34.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

As I said to Kukri in private, Baby Please Don't Go!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Last edited by Hooahguy; 01-13-2009 at 21:10.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I agree, I hope Kukri will keep posting here, always appreciated.

But I must also say that I think you are capable of walking in his footsteps Banquo. If the master is good, the apprentice will be better or how they say, so I expect excellent moderation from you, Banquo.
    Not like I had any complaints until now.
    Last edited by Husar; 01-13-2009 at 21:41.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I'll just say this.

What a top bloke.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always respected KukriKhan. He was always there to give me advice and to help me out, when I did good things and yes, sometimes bad things to.

We will miss you, Good luck friend!

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

He's a man of wisdom and a man of respectfulness. He's been a great example and done a lot to keep the backroom civil and the org intelligent.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kukri and I never interacted too much, but whenever we did he always struck me as an example of class and decency. I sincerely hope that he is only stepping down as a moderator and not an Orgah in general.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Always such an honourable friendly guy, hope to see you back here sometimes...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I can only echo the sentiments already expressed - and can only accept this resignation if Kukri remains a contributing member.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: A sad day

Now the rest of us have to fly on our own.

I am however looking forward to his posts as a patron.
    Be they like:
    me
    Lemur
    Adrian II
    Tribes & CR
    TosaInu
    Froggy
    rory_20_uk
    Jag

He will when he isn't and wishes to pick and choose which thread to post in. Whatever he does post it will be a masterpiece
    Last edited by Papewaio; 01-14-2009 at 01:53.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

It's sad when a great person of the .org site leaves and you know he is a good person, and yet you didn't have the time to chat a little bit more when he rarely played mafia.

Looks like the Kukri of the tworg site is somehow-dead (in a literal way), and we all are in his funeral. Some day, he will resurect, and I'm sure that more than one will be happy to be posting in teh same thread as him, and everyone will remember him and what he did for the .org

We will miss you, Kukri, as much as we miss Beirut.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 01-14-2009 at 08:34.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

You'll be missed Kurki, be sure to stick around as much as you can and good luck in RL.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Some things you just never expect to end.

I know where you are coming from BG. Kukri and I opened up the Entrance Hall doors back in the fall of 2002, both of us fresh out of moderator boot camp. Everything you said about Kukri is spot on and it is futile for me to even attempt to add to your eloquent words. He is the best person I've ever had the privilege to work with and one heck of a person with the moderator robes off as well. Wait, that didn't come out right...

I do hope he will remain an active member of the Org in his retirement.

Thank you Kukri for you incredible service to this site and its patrons.

This space intentionally left blank

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Am I the only one who sees the uncanny resemblance between Kukri and The Stranger from Big Lebowski?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Thank you, Kukrikhan. You have set a high standard for those of us wearing the cowl. And you made one heck of a Rogue Detective!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

bugger

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Congratulations! Welcome back into the thralls of the unwashed masses!
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

And a fair moderator you were, Kukrikhan. I've been around teh Internets for quite a while, but I never encountered another who was as consistent and helpful as you. Or who shook Philip Roth's hand...

I always thought there is something quintessentially American about you. Maybe I misjudge either you or America, who knows. Probably both. But I'll be thinking of you over that eleven o'clock whisky tonight. You know, the one you pour when you have another hard decision coming up. I guess you made yours and it's no use appealing. Respect, bro.

The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Please don't go

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sorry, I couldn't find a crappier version

Kukri, I hope you will enjoy your very well deserved retirement. May sunny weather, cocktails and lots of time spent with your grandchildren be your part.

I've said this in private, but I'd like to repeat it in public: you have done so much for the Org that it is not humanly possible to thank you enough. You have been an example to me, a role model. I also cannot thank you enough for the support you gave me at the beginning of my moderator career and I cannot think of anybody else who embodies the spirit of the Org better than you.

Thank you for being here

Now,...

All together now!

Sorry, wrong song...

All together now!

Be well, do good, keep in touch
    Last edited by Andres; 01-14-2009 at 09:43.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Well done Kukhri :)

(hands over gold watch)
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

You were always one of the most fair moderators on this entire site. No one could possibly accuse you of bias.

Well done and best of luck.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast